Diesel Fuel filter change

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
This is a Youtube link to show an easy way to change the fuel filter on most newer Diesel VW's.

I have a plastic shopping bag handy to drop the used filter into after it has drained most of the Diesel off.
I have not found it necessary to use a VCDS or prime with the fuel pump since before closing the filter I add and fill the filter housing with either PowerService, Diesel or any other Diesel fuel additive I have handy.

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT

That video shows exactly how I change my fuel filter. I use a shorter bungee cord to hold the fuel filter lid out of the way.

For priming I just cycle the ignition key on and hold it on for a few seconds. I do this a few times without starting the car. This turns the fuel pump in the tank on and purges the air out of the filter canister. I don't know how one would accomplish this with the key-less start option.

Drive more and worry less

:)

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's really odd, it is the exact same link Tech20 posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kbIAwF2uvA

Just changed my fuel filter today from a "MANN" to something else. What a PIA to remove the MANN filter. There is a ridge around the bottom of the filter which made it very difficult to remove. Was getting hung up on two tits in the filter housing. My new replacement does not have that.

I filled the housing including the center of the filter with PS.
Closed it up and with my KESSY just to ignition for 30 seconds before I started the engine. Not even a sputter, started right up.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
That video shows exactly how I change my fuel filter. I use a shorter bungee cord to hold the fuel filter lid out of the way.

For priming I just cycle the ignition key on and hold it on for a few seconds. I do this a few times without starting the car. This turns the fuel pump in the tank on and purges the air out of the filter canister. I don't know how one would accomplish this with the key-less start option.

Drive more and worry less

Same thing with kessy, foot off the brake, push the button, push button again to off, then repeat. I did mine a few times, for both passat and bug, everything is fine.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
im guessing the youtube video applies to a 2012 TDI like mine? i need to change mine never have done one yet on a 2012 TDI owned it for a few months and really like the vehicle So my Question is? after takeing fuel filter out would it be wise to pour in a little bit of diesel before putting in the filter?

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
im guessing the youtube video applies to a 2012 TDI like mine? i need to change mine never have done one yet on a 2012 TDI owned it for a few months and really like the vehicle So my Question is? after taking fuel filter out would it be wise to pour in a little bit of diesel before putting in the filter?
Fuel filter change procedure is the same for all CR TDIs, 2009 to 2015. The only differences between some models, engines, and years are that the hose arrangements are a little different, and some of the filters are different sizes. Regardless, the process is exactly the same.

If you don't remove any fuel from the filter canister (it would stay around 50% full), and after you put the new filter in, there is very little air in the system. If there is no visible water or debris (both are extremely rare), leave the fuel in the canister. I know some OCD guys who remove the fuel just because they can. It's up to you if you want to be that guy.

Drive more and worry less.

Last edited:

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
Same thing with kessy, foot off the brake, push the button, push button again to off, then repeat. I did mine a few times, for both passat and bug, everything is fine.
That makes perfect sense. With one's foot off the brake pedal, that acts as an interlock to prevent the starter from engaging. The fuel pump cycles with an engine no-start.

Guess who has never owned a car with a key-less start function? :D By the time my wife and I wear out our Passats, key-less start will probably be standard on all of them.

Drive more and worry less.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So my Question is? after takeing fuel filter out would it be wise to pour in a little bit of diesel before putting in the filter?

NO! Replace and put the new filter in then fill the housing up, otherwise you'll have fuel spilling out when inserting the filter !!!

Also with the kessy there is no need for repeated on/off cycles. Just turn on and wait 30 seconds then turn off.
Now start the engine.

Last edited:

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
NO! Replace and put the new filter in then fill the housing up, otherwise you'll have fuel spilling out when inserting the filter !!!
Also with the kessy there is no need for repeated on/off cycles. Just turn on and wait 30 seconds then turn off.
Now start the engine.
Say i Just noticed on the Canadian Napa site there aftermarket fuel filters for a 2012 TDI like mine all have a seperate rubber gasket that goes where.? thats not the same filter thats in the video shown that im guessing is a aftermarket PG filter with built on gasket? would a oem fuel filter bought at VW dealer have a built on gasket or a seperate one.?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Say i Just noticed on the Canadian Napa site there aftermarket fuel filters for a 2012 TDI like mine all have a seperate rubber gasket that goes where.? thats not the same filter thats in the video shown that im guessing is a aftermarket PG filter with built on gasket? would a oem fuel filter bought at VW dealer have a built on gasket or a seperate one.?

The MANN filter had a separate gasket, the one I just installed was a ONE PIECE unit !