Mk6 Sportwagen, Loud Transmission After Master Cyl Install

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
Hello all...any insight will appreciated.

Car has 110k miles

Events in Order
Slave cylinder failed. Had an indy shop replace with the Valeo SMF kit.

Drove the car for a few days and the clutch pedal became soft again. (no trans noise)

I bled the system, soft pedal remained. (no trans noise)

Replaced the Clutch Master Cylinder - pedal is firm, but now the the trans is very loud when driving (louder than the diesel engine!) At idle, it sounds like the flywheel may be rubbing? (only drove around the block) Shifts fine.

Thoughts?

Pic for attention
Untitled by britt edward, on Flickr

ss_mini14

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Can you upload a video or sound file? If you had the clutch replaced they may have left something loose.

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
Can you upload a video or sound file? If you had the clutch replaced they may have left something loose.
I tried to record, but the sounds isn’t audible over the diesel in the recording. I have a feeling something came loose or broke in the clutch/ flywheel again.

I just re-bled the system and no change. When idling, the chatter is louder than normal. When clutch is depressed, it sounds fine. When In gear, loud chatter and slight metallic rubbing.

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
Soooo, I may be an idiot. I’m working on 3 project cars at once and I forgot that I put a poly trans mount insert in while waiting on the new master cylinder.

I’m going to put the OEM mount back in and see if that makes a difference.

ss_mini14

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Yeah if that doesn't fix it have it towed back. It sounds like the flywheel is loose. Do you feel the grinding through the pedal?

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
Yeah if that doesn't fix it have it towed back. It sounds like the flywheel is loose. Do you feel the grinding through the pedal?
No grinding in the pedal.

Vibration is gone now that I swapped back in the original mount, but the noise persists. Drove it about a mile. It's actually louder than the engine.

So strange that it didn't do this after the clutch install, but rather started after the master cylinder install.

Ill be taking back to the shop this week.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
This may be a dumb question but did they replace the throw out bearing?

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
Issue resolved. Updating for historical purposes.

I removed the poly trans mount insert and poly dogbone - re-tourqed everything and the Car is back to normal.

Ive run that same setup on many vws, but never a TDI. That engine and trans were really shaking the car something fierce.

Insert was a 75 durometer and the dogbone was unknown, but new.

Thanks for the replies all.

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
...and the car is broken again after approx 20 miles...lol

Clutch pedal went completely soft again.

Im assuming that air is getting into the system somehow. However, there are no leaks anywhere from what I can see.

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
When pumping the clutch I can hear air flow near the bleeder valve. I’ll check seals and most likely replace the entire unit.

What is the feedback on the solid unit ECS makes? Worth the money?

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
quick update...
Replaced the bleeder with an ECS billet unit. Super nice and easy to bleed.

However, it did not fix my issue.
All sounds are gone now that the poly mounts are back out.
I am able to bleed the air out of the system, but it is getting back in. (very slowly)
Ive double checked every connection and every seal, no leaks.
I was able to drive the car about 20 miles before the clutch became useless again.

My only thought at this point is the new slave cylinder is bad. (oem piece)

Thoughts?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
You hear "air flow". Id bet your introducing air thru a leak in the hose or possibly conection @ master/slave?

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
It's back at the shop now. I have a feeling the new slave/ TOB was faulty or damaged on install.

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
Car was at the Indy for 2 weeks. They couldnt duplicate the problem or find a leak.

I drove it home (20 miles) and barely made it before the clutch became too soft to shift.

Apparently the shop was too lazy to take more than a cursory glance at it.

I triple checked the entire system, couldn't find a fluid leak.
Re-bled and some air came out, not much.

Going to drive it harder today and see what happens.

Also, just got the specific cap for the Motiv bleeder today. Ive been bleeding via the ECS block and a mighty-vac. Going to try and fill/ pressurize it from the top next time.

If it fails again, I have no choice other than the dealer. I dont have time to pull the trans myself.

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
So, I think I finally fixed it. Have been driving it for a few days with no clutch failures.

I used the Motiv power bleeder with the euro reservoir cap. I Pulled some air out, but not much. However, I think this may have been the last stuborn bit that the shop and I couldnt remove.

There may be a tiny bit left. the pedal looses some firmness after a long drive, but after a few pedal pumps, it firms up again. Ill try and pull air one last time to make it perfect.

Long story short, air got into the system during install by the indy shop. Eventually, I was able to bleed it out.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
quick update...
Replaced the bleeder with an ECS billet unit. Super nice and easy to bleed.

However, it did not fix my issue.

I am able to bleed the air out of the system, but it is getting back in. (very slowly)

I was able to drive the car about 20 miles before the clutch became useless again.

Thoughts?
So, I think I finally fixed it. Have been driving it for a few days with no clutch failures.

I used the Motiv power bleeder with the euro reservoir cap. I Pulled some air out, but not much. However, I think this may have been the last stuborn bit that the shop and I couldnt remove.

There may be a tiny bit left. the pedal looses some firmness after a long drive, but after a few pedal pumps, it firms up again. Ill try and pull air one last time to make it perfect.

Long story short, air got into the system during install by the indy shop. Eventually, I was able to bleed it out.
Congrates, now you can enjoy;)

So the ECS wasnt able to fully bleed out enough air to operate without a problem?