Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
3.99 for D2 here in AZ

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
How is their diesel? I've used it once or twice, but not sure why I generally distrust their 'cheap' products.
I've used it in a couple of southern markets and it's always done OK for me, too.

Diesel is falling here. A BP in Daphne and the Dodge's Fried Chicken, Taxes, Lawnmower Repair and Gas are $3.899 for cash.

noxneon

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 silver Jetta TDi
$4.259 a gallon at the 24 hour chevron in camas washington. But thats the most expensive station in town. I usually rape safeway for a dollar a gallon. Paying low 3's

bdiddy

TDI
98 New Beetle, 97 Passat, 96 passat wagon, 98 jett
3.999 at one of the cheaper spots to fuel up (holiday) yesterday in Spokane Valley Wa

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Just paid $4.15/g at a Sunoco. There was a Shell for 4.12/g across town on some back road, but I figured for what I would save $$ I would burn driving over to it. The rest of the stations are $4.15 to $4.37.

Took a drive to Orland (160miles each way) and prices were about the same the whole way. From low of $4.12/g to high of $4.38/g (at truck stop no less). Usually there is cheaper areas and more expensive areas for D2. Not so right now.

Jason

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
a lot of us know/use gasbuddy. but i'm not gonna go on there to see prices around the country.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Works ok when traveling but doesn't show the markup for credit versus cash. Pulled off I-81 to refuel in Salem, VA yesterday and the BP station wanted a dime a gallon upcharge for using a credit card. Went across the street for about that same price but no credit card upcharge.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
$3.57 for RUG and $3.83 for diesel today at Murphy's Express in Gautier. The same Murphy's Express 6 miles down the road in Ocean Springs had diesel for $3.99. I've seen diesel as high as $4.22 in O.S. It seems that everybody knows about the Gautier store. All 4 pumps were occupied when I got there today, 3 Ford heavy duty pickups and one city dump truck. 10 out of twelve gas pumps were empty.

Claydon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Works ok when traveling but doesn't show the markup for credit versus cash. Pulled off I-81 to refuel in Salem, VA yesterday and the BP station wanted a dime a gallon upcharge for using a credit card. Went across the street for about that same price but no credit card upcharge.
that upcharge thing really annoys the hell out of me. that 10 cents is not going to cover their merchant transaction fees, it only increases the sale causing a higher fee.

sell cokes and candies if you want to make more profit.

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
i've crossed the street before for the very same thing.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
i've crossed the street before for the very same thing.

I would too. Around here, they advert the credit price and then you notice the discount for cash. Or they post both.

$3.76 for D2 tonight, only 16 cents above RUG @ $3.60, which jumped up from 3.46 today.

Is the point of this thread to make others feel sympathetic, empathetic, or envious depending on these comparisons? :p

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Is the point of this thread to make others feel sympathetic, empathetic, or envious depending on these comparisons? :p
Envious I think. I try to avoid reading it, it just winds me up when I see how ridiculously cheap everyone's fuel is over there... :eek:. I guess it explains why 90% of people over on your side of the pond don't care about fuel efficiency. It's around $8.50/usgall here.

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
$4.01/G for RUG, $4.37/G for D2. The local Shell station is nuts, even worse is the people (usually min wage types) still buying fuel there.

Jason

CurlyDE

TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
I filled my truck up yesterday ... $3.65 for D2 (cash price) off of I-85 just north of Greenville, SC.

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
Stopped by a BP near me, 4.50 a gallon. 2 Shell stations and a Sunoco all three were 3.99 a gallon. What does BP have "super diesel"? No cetane stickers on the BP pumps and no Diesel price on sign on street, just a sign in grass that says "we have diesel".

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
$4.01/G for RUG, $4.37/G for D2. The local Shell station is nuts, even worse is the people (usually min wage types) still buying fuel there.

Jason
I've kvetched about Shell numerous times on this site. They're the most common brand here (since the BP oil spill, a lot of BP stations rebranded to Shell, giving us Shells on both streetcorners in some places) and by far the most expensive overall.

I really believe their shtick is they jack up the prices but heavily advertise various discounting schemes. There's a Shell card with cents off, a newer type discount-only thing that I don't know much about and the fuelperks! through Winn-Dixie.

I almost exclusively buy Shell only when I have some sort of worthwhile discount. It takes a good 15-20¢ just for them to be competitive with other brands, though, so it doesn't happen often.

This really bugs me. Long ago in a world far, far away, Gasbuddy's policy was to post the credit price, with the belief that the motorist should be shown the highest price before discounts of any type. But then they silently changed the rules a while back and now prefer the cash price.

This means a user needs to know there's a credit price increase in the first place, which the vast majority of Gasbuddy users don't note in the comments of each price update.

Where I live, some stations post the credit price but offer a cash discount; others post the cash price and charge more for credit. Some note cash/credit on the sign, some don't. Here, it leads to people just posting whatever's on the sign, which leads to some confusion.

A local like me knows the ins and outs and who prices what where, but out of towners don't and it makes the app far less reliable IMHO.

Cheapest price in my town is down to $3.879 (cash), but over in Mobile, Alabama I paid $3.779 (cash) the other day.

I'm really surprised at how quickly diesel has followed gas downward this time around. Usually it's much more 'sticky'. Some places are still asking $4.199.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Funny, that Shell lists cash and credit prices for RUG and D2 instead of listing prices for all four fuel grades. And this station is always the highest around. I was told Shell makes the stations carry D2, and since some really don't want it they over price it.

Very odd thing is the cheapest D2 around here is a different Shell station over on the coast high way.

Jason

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I just filled my Passat at Shell for $3.99 a gallon, same as the local Racetrac.

GreyTDIowner

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
You guys would barf here in NS, Canada. $1.42/L for diesel this week and $1.38/l for gas.

That would make is $5.25 CAD per gallon. For the first time ever it cost me over $70.00 to fill my tank.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
D2 was $3.77 this morning in Lake Wylie. Rug was $3.39.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
$3.88 @ Speedway at 14/Grossebeck in Fraser MI. Been that price for a while. ($4+ everywhere else) There are others (as reported on gasbuddy) for a little less but I suspect it's "cash" price. I don't buy gas from any station that ups the price for using debit or credit charge unless I have no choice. But if you want to cost them more, put in a gallon. Pay, put in a nother gallon, pay. They pay a set price per "transaction" not total fuel sold. Now, I don't sell fuel so I don't know but a gal at a marathon station told me, they pay a set amount per sale. It costs the same if they sell a gallon or 10 gallons. So, when I have lots of time, I do the 1 gallon at a time. But mostly, I just go to a Speedway where it's the "cash" price all the time. :cool:

This being my first diesel, I'm trying to understand the dynamics of diesel fuel prices. I've seen RUG go from 3.75 to 3.99, then down to 3.55 while diesel at the same station stay at 4.19. So, in my observation, diesel prices don't move down very fast but once RUG gets close to current diesel prices, diesel goes up a bit and stays there.

Last edited:

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
$3.44 for RUG and $3.73 for diesel at Murphy's Express in Gautier. 6 miles west in Ocean Springs Murphy's Express had RUG for $3.45 and diesel for $3.99. Another 3 miles west and Shell had diesel for $4.22. Now where do I fill up?

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
$3.92 at sam's club in severn, md. some royal farms in the are i seen it for $3.85.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Murphy's Express in Gautier: RUG $3.45, midgrade $3.65, premium $3.83, diesel $3.73. Diesel is actually cheaper than premium and within 8 cents of midgrade.I guess all of those ecoboost injected turbo gas motors just lost their advantage since most of them require midgrade or premium.

apcopatech

TDI
2013 Golf Base TDI DSG Reflex Silver Metallic
Murphy's Express in Gautier: RUG $3.45, midgrade $3.65, premium $3.83, diesel $3.73. Diesel is actually cheaper than premium and within 8 cents of midgrade.I guess all of those ecoboost injected turbo gas motors just lost their advantage since most of them require midgrade or premium.
That's cheap for any coast!!!
I'm in Wichita KS, I've been lucky it's been going up and down a lot, since I've been driving my golf, I haven't seen anything lower then $3.75.9, or higher then $3.99.9, I've been even luckier with my kroger discounts, this tank will be the best savings .80 cents per gallon - $3.95.9

Last edited:

apcopatech

TDI
2013 Golf Base TDI DSG Reflex Silver Metallic
and now that the winter diesel is gone out of my tank, I'm getting 42 to 44 mpg, and more then 520 miles to the tank, mostly city!!
even with my led foot!!

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Lower diesel prices: stop commodities speculation, tax oil industry greed, break their monopolies and fine their pollution. And now lets hear it from the corporate shills: