MOOG strut assemblies

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
I did a search and didn't find much on anyone using these so I'm adding my experience with them.

Installed these about two weeks ago. Raised the front end about an inch which was fine as my old struts I thing were about dead. I was pretty sure I had a bad strut bearing anyway. All around the rubber dampeners had pretty much disintegrated and the strut plastic guards were completely gone in the front.

The install went pretty well. I did remove the axle to make passenger install possible. Looks like good quality parts and rubber for the mounts.

I really like the ride - has a nice firm feel, but not uncomfortable. I followed this up with Bilstein TCs in the rear the other day. Those replaced some gabriel ultras that were installed several years ago. I would recommend these MOOG's to anyone looking to replace front struts. Don't have to mess with spring compressors and order a bunch of parts separately!

PhreQQ

TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan TDI
Thanks for the review, I pretty much have come to the same conclusion that there's very little info out there about these MOOG Problem Solver ST8602 quick struts.

After reading your opinion, I think I'll "splurge" the extra ~$60 over the Monroe quick struts. I'm not really interested in dropping $500 in Billy B6s yet, and would prefer a softer ride that these will most likely provide, especially on my extremely tired 250k suspension (which judging by its condition and lack of any dampening, might be original factory).

It seems like the Monroe's used to be pretty good for their insanely cheap ($60!) price, but no longer sell their "Sensa-trac" in (or out!?) a quick strut, instead opting for the cheaper OE Spectrum strut.

Two years later, would you still recommend these for the cost TdiRN or anyone else?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We see them bad after a year or two. They are junk. The components are Chinese garbage. Same with the Monroe versions (and there are others). Great if you are selling the car I suppose, but long term they do not hold up.

PhreQQ

TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan TDI
We see them bad after a year or two. They are junk.
Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I've done a front strut replacement (with quick-struts) in the past on a different jetta and while not awful, did take the better part of a weekend. Really makes me reconsider buying something more spendy.... :confused:

I'm positive I still have the original springs and have heard mixed reviews of them after wear of time. Would you recommend replacing them as well (and any suggestions what with)?

EDIT: I see idparts sells the MOOGs too, that leads me to believe they can't be totally junk? https://www.idparts.com/moog-strut-st8602-mk4-jetta-golf-new-beetle-p-7608.html

Last edited:

racerxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd GLS
Sorry last Thursday I was told I need a Monroe Quick struts... To pass State inspection. They are garbage total trash. Took my car home and ordered/installed Bilstein B6 and happy I did. You have got to pay to play!

My Moog springs rusted bad after about 5 years (so much for "Made in the USA"). But they are cheap and have a better spring rate so I replaced them as well (for $30 why not). I basically built a Quick Strut around some Bilsteins B6.

I had Monroe Quick Struts in 2 different cars and the sucked both times i have to replace in a year or 2. Can't speak for Moog but probably same thing with different paint!

Yeah it was $480 shipped ($170 each at Rock Auto or ECS will price match to $180) out the door if you want to do it right. Just reuse the Spring Perch and Upper strut stop. This includes new springs!

The ride is worth every penny. I say this and I am the cheapest SOB...

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They have them because they know some people will only go the cheap route. I guarantee you nobody that works at IDparts has them on his or her Volkswagen. ;)

You can replace the springs, too, during a strut replacement. It depends on the car, the age, the mileage, and the environment. I see plenty of broken springs on Volkswagens, enough so that if the car has over 150k miles I would strongly consider replacing them. However, on the A4 cars, only the front springs require strut disassembly. The rears are super easy and take 10 minutes to replace, so if you replace the rear shocks and decide not to do springs, it is no big deal if you have to do them later.

PhreQQ

TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan TDI
Thank you for the excellent advice/warning. I think I'll pick up a pair of Bilstein B4s as a kit, I realized they're actually cheaper than the MOOG quick struts ignoring the spring cost.

Now to figure which front springs I should buy... pretty sure these have 250k on them. The Beef on a Budget guys seem to like the MOOG springs, but it sounds like blasphemy after reading the above.

Thanks again oilhammer!