DSG really so bad? 2012

Recian

TDI
Looking to buy
So I've been eyeing a metallic brown sportwagen. I found 2 the same price, same trim same color. Both 2012. Auto has 104k manual has 139k. I think only difference is manual has the sky roof. Is the auto really such a monster? I'm reading basically people act like it's not if it fails its when. I've had some experience with DDC transmissions with fiat. The Mitsubishi ones were horrible. The launch from a stop delay was sad. Are these that way? I'd really like to stop shifting gears even tho I know the manual gets better mpg. If I get one I have intentions to delete down the road if that makes a difference. Why is the regular service so expensive? Fluid price or dealer service labor rate? I could buy vw fluid and do it myself as long as there's nothing special. How do the clutches hold up? Do I need any special software to work on them or relearn clutch kiss point when it finally wears out? I've got a 19 snap on solus with all 3 car lines domestic, Asian and euro. Wonder if it could do relearns as needed if problems arise?

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I've never owned a dsg, but I've driven a few and here are my impressions and thoughts overall

The dsg is pretty smooth. Granted, not like a traditional Auto trans but not jerky like the older BMW SMG.

Online forums typically highlight the negative traits and by default seem more frequent than they actually occur.
See the hpfp hoopla and hype
I think if you're diligent with the dsg service and use the correct manufacturer spec fluid, you will be fine

If it were me buying, I'd probably go with the manual as I truly do enjoy rowing gears!

It's in your best interest to purchase a genuine ross tech vcds cable and software. It's worth it's weight in gold, you won't regret it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
Welcome to the group
I have 2 tdi both with DSG. I love the way they shift.
The only issue so far is that the DMF went out on the 09 jetta a few weeks back, but it was almost at 250,000 miles. It's the first repair I had do to the car since I bought it new, other than general maintenance which I do myself.
I do have a VCDS and i live 30 minutes from you..

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
In terms of reliability and maintenance requirements, manual is the clear winner. If you look at the maintenance schedule, there are no periodic oil replacements needed with the manual tranny. The DSG requires fluid replacements every 60,000 and the fluid is expensive, plus, of course, the labor rate at any dealer rivals what any attorney would charge you. If you are concerned about possible reliability issues with the DSG, why not bypass all that uncertainty and go with the manual instead?

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
We've had the DSG in the US on TDIs since 2005, and GTIs from around the same time frame as well. Early on I think there were higher rates of problems with the mechatronic unit, but not catastrophic numbers. I don't know if for certain, but I think even that rate has lowered and in a 2012 you are looking at a pretty solid transmission. I've done a couple of DSG fluid changes, and I think for filter and fluid it was about $100. The reason it is so expensive to have the dealer do it is because it is time consuming, filling from the same hole you drain from. It isn't rocket science though.

pebjr mentioned replacing the DMF near 250k miles, and you could look at the same thing with a manual. The life of the clutches will depend a lot on your driving (lots of stop and go vs highway) but are fluid cooled.

I too have given up changing gears, mainly because of my knees. I miss it sometimes, but do like the DSG. If you don't like the way it handles then pass it by. If you like it then it is worth considering.

I think I'd rather have the scheduled maintenance on the DSG, which is every 40k miles, than have to deal with sunroof drains and pano sunroofs. To each their own though.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
DSG service interval is 40K miles. It's not that expensive anymore, we sell the kit for $79.95. And the DSG transmission has proven to be durable. The dual mass flywheel may fail at 150-200K miles, but that's also true of a manual transmission car. Both have DMFs.

DSG transmission cars give comparable FE to manual cars on the highway, but tend to take a bigger FE hit in city and traffic. And regarding what they're like to drive, it's a matter of preference. I don't like automatics, but IMO the DSG is one of the better ones. I'd still go for the manual, but I'd be more worried about the sunroof. Those are a problem.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
VW makes really good dual clutch automatics. Ford and FCA made some really bad ones. It seems like the trend is toward 8+ speed traditional automatics these days.

Recian

TDI
Looking to buy
This is the info I was looking for. Good monkey kinda hit my point. My knees may force me to give up shifting soon as much as I enjoy the feel of a manua. I also had figured as long as the dsg had been out a 12 should be less problematic

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I has two JSWs with the DSG.
One had to have the DMF replaced at over 200K miles.
Both were bought back and I replaced one with a 2015 Passat 1.8 TSI and I found the power etc on par with the TDI and the traditional automatic was very nice and it didn't get confused sometimes like the DSGs did.
That said I traded it on a 2012 Touareg Exec TDI with an 8 speed auto.
Nice car and tows my Scamp very well indeed.
Fuel cost is higher, but us old guys can get in and out more gracefully.

RECCE-17

Veteran Member
TDI
current 2011 Jetta,(ret)01' Jetta TDI (ret) 92' Golf Diesel
I have a DSG in my 2011 Jetta. Its a great transmission, very responsive, down shifts well without any jerking. Its responsive off the line, no noticeable lag when clutches are engaging.

I do fluid filter changes myself. I bought the service kit from ID parts. Being in Canada I have found local parts store that sells total DSG oil (meets VW spec) and buying a OEM filter I can do the change for $90 CAD.

I did replace the DMF at 250k km, when I did that I had a slight leak around the mechatronics cover so I cleaned that up with a new gasket and a very light film of aviation permatex. Problem solved.

Overall I'm very happy with the DSG. I think some bad reviews come from lack of maintenance. I can tell when I'm nearing a fluid change as the shifts are not quite as quick. Once fresh oil is added it runs like a top!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
lack of maintenance and not knowing how it works and expect it to operate like a torque converter.

tdi_514

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI DSG
I have a 2014 Jetta TDI with a DSG... it's my first diesel too.. When I first got it I thought something was wrong and had the dealer check it out. Apparently it's normal. Very torquey and shifts a bit roughly... I'm used to very smooth Japanese/Korean transmissions... but you will get used to it.