VW ID.3 EV Preproduction Review

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I like it but I wonder how much it will cost?

If it's comparable to a Golf, then that would be great. A true "People's Car."

Otherwise, I'll stick with Golfs. "The only car that really needs to exist" according to James May of Top Gear fame.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Didn't VW learn anything with the e-Golf? Put the DC Fast Charging on all of them, because some day you're going to want to recharge in 45 minutes, ocasionally...
As for the proposed $33k price tag, I'll believe it when I see one. In the meantime, my 2019 e-Golf SE has been a total blast to drive for the last 10 days, with a price tag WAY under that $33k window sticker they're talking for the ID series. (Driving tomorrow's technology, since last week)

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Good deal for city driving if you can accept the new car price tag.

Better deal probably after it is sold as used (coming off a three year lease perhaps). How does the warranty look as compared to a the 10 year Kia Soul EV one?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
VW is probably eligible for EV tax credits to bring the price down.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
Good deal for city driving if you can accept the new car price tag. Better deal probably after it is sold as used (coming off a three year lease perhaps).
How does the warranty look as compared to a the 10 year Kia Soul EV one?
My daily commute to the office is 1.5 miles (each way). That was not the ideal engine cycle for a TDI. It's awesome for a BEV. Most people would argue: "It's a mile and a half, just walk!" The issue with that is south Florida has varying degrees of humidity between 50-100%, this morning its pouring down rain on top of the common 84% humidity at 80° at 7:30AM.

As for the "new car price tag", my e-Golf, even after all the rebates, incentives and other perks, will be far more expensive to purchase than my 2004 JW_TDI when I bought it used in 2011, but I never need to refuel the e-Golf. I can power my EV from the abundant sunshine that falls on the PV array on my roof. The PV array will outlast the EV. Even without the PV array, the BEV refueling is under $1 per 25 miles, while my MkIV is $2.25 per 25 miles driven at current diesel prices. (based on fueleconomy.gov projected calculations).

My commute for 20 years was 32 miles (each way), even with that commute, a BEV has advantages over a TDI.

If for the ID series, VW keeps with their current EV warranties, the ID will get 3yr/36k Bumper to Bumper, and 8yr/100k for battery capacity remaining at 80% or better. Being a new model, VW may offer better warranties initially. I certainly recall in the mid '90s when VW was offering much better warranties than they do today to get past the Puebla factory assembly issues.

As for the used vs new debate, certainly the only e-Golf my wife and I test drove was a 2016 with 16k offered locally for $12k (off-lease, before tax, tag, etc). It probably had the remainder of the battery warranty, but no other warranty. It also missed some features we wanted (like DC Fast Charging), and had smaller battery capacity (85 mi range). To me, the factory warranty, the upgrade to larger battery capacity, DC Fast Charging, and driver assistance package were worth the under $10k difference in cost between used a new. We'll see in the future how the ID series hold up on the used market...

We still have a 2013 TDI in the driveway, it's great for long haul road trips and living in "off the beaten path" locations (like our farm in northern Maine).
VW is probably eligible for EV tax credits to bring the price down.
Even the initial year of the VW ID series should be eligible for federal tax credits. If you look at the numbers of e-Golfs and hybrid Jettas sold over the past 4 years, they likely total less than 30,000 units in the USA. State credits vary, and some states have totally depleted their incentives.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
Never did have much of a taste for steering wheels.
I figured the bovines that died for the wheel in my e-Golf went to Five Guys and made a tasty burger... The ones that died for the wheel in my Mk4 probably went to In-n-Out. The ones that died for the interior in my Corrado probably went to Wendy's during their "Where's the Beef" campaign, because there's a boatload of leather in the 80's-90's VW's that got leather!!

No cows were harmed in the making of our departed MkV interior with v-tex, but I was honestly amazed how well that "leatherette" held up for 169k miles!!

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
The ID 3 will not be sold in the US. The ID 4 Crozz which is a suv roughly the size of a Tiguan on the outside but roomier inside will be the first sold in the US. Probably in 2021.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Canada may get them. I don't think VW currently has the production capacity to make these on a large scale.