Resetting the ABS Warning Light

macdub

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDI
Hi all, Strange thing happened to me, I had my front brake pads changed and it seems that the mechanic may have broken the clip to the front left brake pad sensor. Two months later the ABS warning light comes on and the red Brake light with alarm comes on. I take it back to the shop, they claim it was not their guys, etc. Hard to prove really what happened. We put a couple cable ties around the collar of the sensor to basically hold it in place without a working clip. I kept expecting the sensor/brake system to reset itself but it doesn't, warning lights and sound come on with every start up.

My question is whether there is something else going on and how do you clear the ABS warning code and the brake code? Do I need a vag com? Also, anyone with a good vag com in the Laurel-Columbia Maryland (MD) area who could help me!!!

Your wisdom appreciated.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
ABS light

The front brake pad sensor and the ABS sensor are two different sensors. You will need VCDS to turn off ABS light but if problem still exists then it will come on again. Also when they did the brakes did they flush the complete brake system? If they got air into ABS unit then VCDS/VagCom will be needed to exercise ABS unit.

macdub

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDI
Thanks for the reply. No they didn't flush the complete brake system, what exactly does "exercising the ABS unit" involve using a VCDS/Vag Com? Any suggested posts on this topic?

macdub

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDI
Hi all, I managed to solve the problem. I have cheap Vag-Com handheld scanner and read the codes--got code 18057 on the Engine check and the unable to communicate with the ABS brake system. I read somewhere that the small flat green fuses on top of the black fuse box on the battery were involved with power to the ABS system. I did a check of the fuses and all was good. But before closing the fuse box and hood, I pushed in the wire harness (with the small wires) that goes into the fuse box. This harness went in almost 1/4 of an inch. When I went back to my VAG-COM, I was able to read the codes and cleared 18057 and then was able to clear the ABS codes as well.

Started up the car and have been driving it for one full day and no more ABS or flashing Brake light on the dash. Seems like the fact that that wiring harness wasn't pushed in all the way was my problem.