99 VW Beetle No Low Beam Headlights - PROBLEM :(

dieseldog56

TDI
99 VW Beetle, 91 Jetta EcoDiesel
I have a 99 VW Beetle with over 120,000 miles on it and live in the Detroit area. This is my first post but have used the site many times to help me out...so THANK YOU to the many posters who have helped me out in the past.

About a week or so ago the low beam headlights stopped working. The day time running, fog lights and high beams all still work...so the bulbs aren't bad.

I am trying to figure out the source of this PROBLEM.

I have replaced the day time running light relay but this wasn't it. I also checked voltage at fuse 36 - there is power. I would like to check headlight switch but can't figure out how to remove it without breaking plastic components...has anyone had experience with this?

ANY help you can offer would really make it easier to sleep at night as this car is driving me crazy! :eek:

- dieseldog56

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Push the knob in and turn it about halfway to the ON position. Then you can pull it out. Retract the lugs again once you install it or the new one.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Not to ask the obvious question, but have you checked the bulbs.

Often people assume they are OK because they were working and suddenly both failed. However it is easy for you not to notice when one fails. Then when the second fails it it total darkness.

I had this very thing happen on a trip from NY to Ohio. They were both working when I left (I checked) and both were somewhere on the turnpike in PA.

NRath

TDI
2000 NB
Follow up would have been nice! Same problem this morning on the '00 NB. Raining now, so diagnosis needs to be a quick event. And, I have a couple hrs to drive this evening. Really hate to drive the Tundra!!!! (seriously...)

Side note- did the alternator a couple weeks ago!!! Some of you know that is fun!! LOL! Geesh!!!

I'll keep searching...

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
There was a glitch in some of the MK4's; the low beams would simultaneously die for no actual/apparent reason and once replaced never happen again. But if your DRL's are working, I suggest you get a can of contact cleaner that doesn't harm plastic and spray around the the stalk of the high/low beam turn signal arm. Not related technically, but my car had the mystery clicking flasher unit problem that was driving me nuts. I shot the stem area with carb cleaner and all is once again quiet.

gt

Veteran Member
no low beams

You need a turn signal switch, your dimmer switch is made in turn switch. Just replaced one on wifes car fixed it!

gt

Veteran Member
headlights

I have soldered 16 gauge wire at headlight wire connection. You have a 5 inch harness solder heavier wire with oringinal wires and you won''t have to replace anymore bulbs.

ML27

TDI
98 Jetta, 02 Jetta
LH Stalk dimmer switch

There was a glitch in some of the MK4's; the low beams would simultaneously die for no actual/apparent reason and once replaced never happen again. But if your DRL's are working, I suggest you get a can of contact cleaner that doesn't harm plastic and spray around the the stalk of the high/low beam turn signal arm. Not related technically, but my car had the mystery clicking flasher unit problem that was driving me nuts. I shot the stem area with carb cleaner and all is once again quiet.
Howdy All,

I had the problem on an 2002 Jetta and I replaced the LH Stalk. No problem to make the switch once I got the "spring clipped "flaming" air bag removed. All day on the AB, an hour to remove the steering wheel and other pieces. Successful - thanks to youtube and TDI forum.

ML27