www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old November 9th, 2017, 09:46   #136
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Todd, you could try Imgur for hosting, I'm using that in the future but not going back to correct any of the old stuff posted from pbucket, too much time.

Remember that those injectors will have smaller nozzle openings if they're from an AT car, which I assume is what all that came from.

Build is coming along nicely, I know what you mean about time going by quickly. I just passed 20k mile mark in the wagon, 17 months on the road, but I took delivery of that wagon in Sept 2014 so that was quite a while in the making, and for certain aspects it's still not completely done...to my liking.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 18:00   #137
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Imgur had an additional step to resize images, which I didn't want to go through. Huge pics that make the text tiny and scrolling necessary is annoying... first world problems...

I only grabbed the injectors because they were there. The car came with Smog nozzles and a TD tune, so I'll give it a shot. I also have a set of injectors with DLC 1019s that I bought for the wagon about a year back, and did nothing with. They'll likely end up in this, along with the 2052 that was also purchased for the wagon.

Other than finding my Metripack terminals, nothing has changed. IDI pump was resealed, with a TDI camplate, plunger and distributor but not fully assembled. I wanted to paint the linkage, body, etc.

You should be happy your project is at least on the road. I'm spending too much time planning, changing my mind and doing nothing. Thanks for the words of encouragement, though!

I've been working 60+ hour work weeks, and that's not helping.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2018, 16:47   #138
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
Other than finding my Metripack terminals, nothing has changed.

6+ months later, they finally got crimped on.... well at least 2 of them. This was the only thing thatís happened in months and it gave me a small shot of motivation.

Shoved the harness (loosely) back in and started making notes of the plugs and tracking their destination, toning out wires etc. I figure Iíll need to have an idea of whatís what, to lengthen the harnesses properly.

I figure progress is progress. Hopefully, I keep at it!

-Todd
Old June 4th, 2018, 10:47   #139
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Nice work Todd.

In the same boat as you are right now, not really interested in working on anything, especially since we've been having 95+ temps in May...yuck!

Steve

Old June 4th, 2018, 19:42   #140
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Honestly, the truck has been getting all the attention, recently. Everything I’ve been doing is instant gratification!

Pretty silly, though... I log maybe 200 miles per year on it. I did use it to move about 6.5 tons of pavers, recently. Average load was around 1,300lbs. It deserved some love. This year may be closer to 400 miles.

I just realized most of my pics are dead.... postimage changed the “.org” to “.cc”....

-Todd
Old June 6th, 2018, 11:01   #141
jhax
Veteran Member

I finally finished my basic sensor harness. I used two T14a connectors, got me a pair open barrel terminal pliers and went to town. It seems like I can buy a pyrometer for the turbo that terminates in two bare wires and I can hopefully crimp those and plug them straight into one of the T14a connectors. I want to try to find a boost hose that is not made of flexible plastic tube so it doesn't want to try to constantly coil and ends up becoming brittle. I think I will wrap my harness with a roll of that extreme tape you showed on your thread. Glad to see it's still trucking! I have to update my thread still.
jhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2018, 18:39   #142
ToddA1
Veteran Member

I don’t think you’d want to use silicone tape, as harness wrap. It fuses to itself, and if you have 2 harnesses together, they could fuse to each other.

The stuff needs to be cut, if you need to open it.

-Todd
Old June 9th, 2018, 12:41   #143
jhax
Veteran Member

What did you use your xtape for then?
jhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 12:55   #144
ToddA1
Veteran Member

I’m using dry vinyl tape to wrap the harness. To prevent unraveling at the ends, I used silicone self fusing tape. If I was able to pull the pins from the plug, shrink tube was used.

In other news, I went to the JY to get a A3 wiper motor for the truck. I found an A3 Jetta TDI. I may go back tomorrow for the engine harness and cluster.

-Todd
Old June 12th, 2018, 10:20   #145
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
Iím using dry vinyl tape to wrap the harness. To prevent unraveling at the ends, I used silicone self fusing tape. If I was able to pull the pins from the plug, shrink tube was used.

In other news, I went to the JY to get a A3 wiper motor for the truck. I found an A3 Jetta TDI. I may go back tomorrow for the engine harness and cluster.

-Todd
Nice find, extra harness and cluster worth having. I found a 2006 Jetta TDI at JY a few months ago. It was in accident so engine might have been ok, but was PD and unfamiliar to me so I didn't pursue any purchase. Also was higher miles and unknown maintenance.

steve

Old June 13th, 2018, 18:57   #146
ToddA1
Veteran Member

I did go back and grabbed the cluster, cluster harness, ecu and injectors. I wasn’t really in the mood to get the engine harness out.

I mainly needed the cluster and harness, for this project.... it’s not as wide as the B4 cluster. When I’ve seen the B4 cluster in A1 dashes, I don’t like seeing the sides cut off. Some custom work will be involved in getting it looking decent. I’m hoping it comes out decent, lol.

Plugged the cluster into the Rotbox to test it, and amazingly enough, everything works!

-Todd
Old June 16th, 2018, 17:15   #147
ToddA1
Veteran Member

I was going to go back to the JY, but the shore traffic was terrible. I ended up turning around and went home. Seems Iím looking for any excuse to not work on the project...

Figured I had to get something accomplished, so I decided to peel the Gorilla tape from the block deck and peer inside. Everything looked as it should and I taped it back up.

Used some wood dowels and laid the head on, and loosely added the engine harness to establish some wire lengths. Looks like everything will need to be extended about 6í.

I also riveted more saddle clamps under the driver frame horn, to try and hide the harnesses a bit.

Went through bagged harnesses, that I wouldnít be using, and spent about 40 minutes unwrapping, cleaning and detangling wires from 1 harness. In the end, I was able to harvest around 5 wires that met the needed length. What a waste of time....

I originally wanted to try and match the factory wire colors, or at least get them close, but that would have been a huge time consumer. I ended up ordering 20 gauge wire online.

-Todd
Old Today, 04:01   #148
IdontownaVW

Well worth the read! Hopefully it ends up on the road pretty soon.

Also, I think the intersection in the picture of the rabbit on a tow truck is familiar to me...looks like right at the 495 on ramp.
IdontownaVW is offline   Reply With Quote