www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 13th, 2018, 12:40   #1
BlackBHW

Default Bad luck i guess

been driving the car just over a month since BSM delete, failed belt repair, and colt cam install.... Put about 3200 miles on it and just did a 420 mile round trip to Maryland over the weekend. Drove the car about 1 mile from the house Monday morning and while I was setting at a red light the car had a single misfire right before the light turned green and when I took off from the light it made it to second gear before it developed a full time miss!!! Drove it home and grabbed my suburban to get to work. C.E.L. isn't working so I pulled the codes and it has a P0203 for #3 inj of coarse... Now I pulled the valve cover today and the injector ohm reading was identical on all 4, grounds checked good on all 4. My question is should I keep chasing or is it typically the injector itself even though it has a good electrical check.... The dang car only has 119k miles on it so Im hoping it isn't a wiring issue this early on, haha.... That being said I hate to pay for a PD inj this early on as well!!!! thanks for any input, just trigger shy on the pricey parts, thinking of swapping 3 & 4 inj to verify before I order one. Also do most just throw one inj at it or do a set so they are matched??? if it has 250-300k id automatically just do a set if it indeed is bad but 119k is kinda low to warrant the expense...
BlackBHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 13:41   #2
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Not uncommon for the harness connections to the injector pins to get loose - have you checked those (ohmed the injector through the harness)?

P0203 is a code for the injector...circuit. If the injector ohms out, then the problem is most likely in the harness.

If you want to test for sure, swap #2 and #3 injectors and see if the car throws the same code - if so, the problem is not the injector.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 13:56   #3
BlackBHW

Didn't go any further as I ran out of time and had to get to work. I just had the head off and didn't check the pins then but will be my first stop when I get home. I know the code is for the circuit that's why I went to checking wiring after ohm checking the inj itself first. The one thing that got me was it dropped that cyl and it never came back and that's the only reason I was leaning towards the inj itself because wiring issues will typically come and go some with temps or whatever... Thanks for the tip though!
Old June 13th, 2018, 15:36   #4
Brian's96TDIPASSAT
Veteran Member

Had the loose pin happen to me when I did head, cam and b/s work. It wouldn't even set a code, just a quick hi-cup at times.
Brian's96TDIPASSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2018, 11:07   #5
BlackBHW

went out before work and ohm'd the harness/injectors out with injectors plugged in and all readings were perfect.... fired the car up and she ran perfect!!! so I guess its confirmed that its a connection issue at the injectors... drove the car to work 28 miles without issue. I'd prefer to change the whole harness in the head but looks like it wont be coming out too easily... thanks for the input guys
Old June 14th, 2018, 15:06   #6
dogdots

TDI(s): None

Just pinch the pins tight again and re-use your original harness. See CoolAirVW's video linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WB-ygxOLk4