www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old June 1st, 2018, 04:33   #16
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Oh it is within the realm of normalcy for TDI club to make something so simple turn into an 11ty page long thread.
Old June 1st, 2018, 16:37   #17
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Okay, OH, I'm going to continue flogging this dead horse, and...I don't even have a horse in this race!

Have you noticed if the tank internals are better protected from corrosion if continually immersed in AdBlue? I recall speculation early on that running the tank mostly empty vs. mostly full might be a contributing factor in AdBlue pump failures.

For sure, an OCD question, but...your experience is valuable.
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2018, 16:47   #18
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
Okay, OH, I'm going to continue flogging this dead horse, and...I don't even have a horse in this race!

Have you noticed if the tank internals are better protected from corrosion if continually immersed in AdBlue? I recall speculation early on that running the tank mostly empty vs. mostly full might be a contributing factor in AdBlue pump failures.

For sure, an OCD question, but...your experience is valuable.

It might be interesting for you to start a poll.........
1 I keep the DEF tank topped up at all times
2 I refill it at the 10k service interval
3. I wait till the message comes on the MFI
4. I ignore it until it becomes a problem
5. I have had DEF pump issues
6. I have never had a DEF pump issue.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2018, 12:23   #19
Rico567
Veteran Member

I have filled at every OC since the free services expired. It takes the 2.5 gal. jug just about perfectly. One time it took all but a few ounces, and I just dumped the rest. At $6.99 a jug at Rural King, who cares? Filling is simple for me, as initially I found a deal on the M-B 10 liter jug and hose, which hooks up and self-vents. So, just connect up and let it fill....no spills, no muss, not much to it.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 20:19   #20
bizzle
Veteran Member

I have an extra one of those filling contraptions that was just posted that I'd be willing to drop by someone's place in Southern California (or mail it, but then it might be the same price as ordering new).

I don't think you can overfill the tank because the nozzle pushes on and I don't know if it's vacuum pressure or not but eventually it will stop accepting fluid. You can hear it, too, because as the fluid fills there is less air space and the sound will change. It doesn't take but a few minutes.

I got together with a few buddies and we all serviced our Golfs so I had bought those fill contraptions for each of us, but it turns out the process is like 5-10 minutes and doesn't need to be done very often (thought it was going to be like every fuel fill!) so we only ended up using one. I don't think I'm going to fill mine up to the top next time, though. By the time the tank is halfway empty, the fluid will probably be nearing the end of life...unless the tank is air tight and if being air tight makes the difference.

The gauge, btw, isn't particularly accurate. I think it was telling us our tanks were 100% full when they were only about halfway there. Trying to think of anything else, but only other thing is if you *do* manage to spill some on the driveway or whatever make sure you wash it off.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 10:08   #21
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

The "store brand" at WALMART that comes in the 2.5 gallon container hase a hose that fits perfectly on my 2015 Golf. Just put the hose into the DEF fill port, open the vent on the DEF container and just lift it up until the container is empty.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 10:19   #22
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post
The "store brand" at WALMART that comes in the 2.5 gallon container hase a hose that fits perfectly on my 2015 Golf. Just put the hose into the DEF fill port, open the vent on the DEF container and just lift it up until the container is empty.

If your tank will not accept the full 2.5 gallons you are going to have a spill.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 16:53   #23
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If your tank will not accept the full 2.5 gallons you are going to have a spill.

Luckily, he has a Golf, so it's right there next to the fuel filler. Just put the cap back on, run a few ounces of water through the drain hole and motor on.

In my old Passat, the filler was in the trunk, so I had to actually be careful.

2015 GSW TDI S DSG - FrostHeater
2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8 tuned
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 12:29   #24
berks_tom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg 42 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If you wait to fill until the warning comes on, you won't have a problem fitting the entire 2.5 gallon container into the tank.

Why worry about topping off the tank? The car doesn't need DEF _that_ often.
"When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." -R.A.Heinlen
berks_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2018, 12:38   #25
vinny6737TDI

Fuel Economy: 50MPG Highway

My AdBlue 'low' light just came on after 40,000kms from the time I bought the 2013 Passat TDI HighLine. My mechanic offers to top it up at each oil change but in my mind, it's not needed that often. I wouldn't know what the level was when I bought it at 106,000kms.
Old June 24th, 2018, 17:41   #26
brownnugen
Veteran Member

Here is one data point here: on my 2015 GSW, my DEF warning came on around 15,200 on the odometer, letting me know I had 1,500 mile remaining until empty. I drove it another 200 miles (1,300 miles till empty) and bought a 2.5 gallon cube at Walmart. After putting all of it in the tank, the MFI indicated I now have 10,000 until I run out of DEF. so, if my math is correct, each 2.5 gallon cube should be good for about 8,800 miles. Id round down to 8,500 miles.
brownnugen is online now   Reply With Quote