www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old June 5th, 2018, 05:00   #1
Intech
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 03' Jetta 67.1 best 51 avg. 99.5 Golf 46 Avg.
Default FOUND!! New "old" lights

What I mean by that, is that after almost thirty years, I have found the auxiliary lights, that I used to have, but unfortunately, until now, have been unable to find, ever since Wagner bought Cibie Lighting. They are the Cibie 175 for driving lights, and the Cibie’ 195 clear for fog lights. In the past decades, because I do a lot of driving, I have spent literally thousands of dollars on lighting, but never came close to the performance of Cibie’s. Only Hella came a bit closer, but nowhere near as good. I knew that someplace on this planet, there HAD to be those lights, and with the help of a friend of mine, we found them in France, brand new, still in the original boxes. I received the 175’s yesterday, and will get the 195’s next week. What makes these lights so spectacular, is their design, especially their fluting. The 175’s specs are: 6000’ reflective range, and 11 degree vertical and 16 degree horizontal fluting. The 195 fogs have a 500’ reflective range and are 10 degrees vertical and 92 degrees horizontal. With these fogs, when properly mounted and aimed, as per Cibie’, you can safely do between 45 and 55 mph in pea soup fog. I know because I used them on my wife’s Benz, and believe me when I was told this by a BMW owner, I was skeptical. But they are fantastic. The 175’s basically replace the sun after dark.
Old June 5th, 2018, 17:22   #2
brnsgrbr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intech View Post
What I mean by that, is that after almost thirty years, I have found the auxiliary lights, that I used to have, but unfortunately, until now, have been unable to find, ever since Wagner bought Cibie Lighting. They are the Cibie 175 for driving lights, and the Cibie’ 195 clear for fog lights. In the past decades, because I do a lot of driving, I have spent literally thousands of dollars on lighting, but never came close to the performance of Cibie’s. Only Hella came a bit closer, but nowhere near as good. I knew that someplace on this planet, there HAD to be those lights, and with the help of a friend of mine, we found them in France, brand new, still in the original boxes. I received the 175’s yesterday, and will get the 195’s next week. What makes these lights so spectacular, is their design, especially their fluting. The 175’s specs are: 6000’ reflective range, and 11 degree vertical and 16 degree horizontal fluting. The 195 fogs have a 500’ reflective range and are 10 degrees vertical and 92 degrees horizontal. With these fogs, when properly mounted and aimed, as per Cibie’, you can safely do between 45 and 55 mph in pea soup fog. I know because I used them on my wife’s Benz, and believe me when I was told this by a BMW owner, I was skeptical. But they are fantastic. The 175’s basically replace the sun after dark.

Excuse my ignorance but what will they fit? Please elaborate.

Congrats btw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2.0Ltr ALH w/BHWs, WB girdle, IE Tuscan rods, RyanP GtB2260Vk kit, 4bar MAP; Kerma 3" exhaust w/HF cat & Aeroturbine 3030XL, headwork, DRW 6speed w/DG Sigma shifter;SBC S2 End race clutch W/ferramic disk; Peloquin TBD; Bosio Stage 2 R520s; DLI Technik mounts ; 11mm; TT CA bushings; DG Panzer FMJ, RP,& 100K TB&SB upgrade; Coolant heater; DRL & EGR deletes; ventectomy; Accuair/Airlift suspension;B20-B100
brnsgrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2018, 03:46   #3
Intech
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnsgrbr View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what will they fit? Please elaborate.

Congrats btw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fit?? Keep in mind we’re going back to the eighties. They are all quartz halogen, with leaded glass. I designed and installed a SS light bar just for them, and I also changed the Jetta front clip to one from a 2002 GTI. On that I used a set of Hella MK5 EC lights set in a MK4 housing, and am using Osram 75 watt H7 Rally lights, all direct from Germany. FWIW, the 175's have 100W bulbs and the 195's are 55W

Old June 6th, 2018, 04:52   #4
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Pictures or we don't believe it.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2018, 07:15   #5
Intech
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Pictures or we don't believe it.
I'll take and send pictures after the 195's arrive. I have the 175's, but I want to aim them all at once. It takes a while to set up the Cibie' aiming jig. Furthermore, I'll have to send them to you via e-mail, because I have NEVER been able to post pics on this site, and I've tried numerous times

Last edited by Intech; June 9th, 2018 at 03:38. Reason: Change: Lights are installed, and they are everything I remember. One word, Awesome
Intech is offline   Reply With Quote