2010 CR TDI 6 Speed Manual: APR Stage 1 or Malone Stage 1.5?

hartzpad

Veteran Member
My car is at 42k miles, I'm ready to chip. Love that I have a 6 speed manual so I have no transmission issues (only future clutch issues, LOL). I have an APR dealer within 25 miles that has tuned a bunch of TDI cars and he has had no issues, highly recommends it (of course).

Does the higher output of the Malone Stage 1.5 still outweigh the fact that I have local support from my APR dealer here? I have no local Malone dealer.

In seat of the pants feel, how much difference is there between Malone 1.5 and APR stage 1?

Suggestions? I travel to the Midwest a lot for work and can easily bring my ECU to a Malone dealer in several Midwest cities.

hartzpad

Veteran Member
I'm highly leaning towards Malone after reading everything in this forum. However, I had an APR tune on my old Audi 1.8T and loved it, that said, them being very new to TDI tuning has me scared about going APR.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
APR is a well known and respected tuner for gasoline VW engines. However, they are relatively new to tuning diesel engines. The CR APR tunes do not appear to be a "strong" as the tunes done by diesle tuning experts. There have also been cases of APR tunes causing engines to go into "limp mode" more than once. I would stick with a known diesel tuners like Malone or RocketChip.

Have Fun!

Don

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
to many people have gone APR first then switched... just go with the better tdi tuners first and not worry about it...