Clockable engine adapters

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
I'm looking for interest in a line of adapters to put TDI's into various vehicles.
We currently build adapters (for 25 years) for installing electric motors into a whole list of vehicles so we have a bunch of patterns.
I'm just starting to install a TDI into my Jeep and bought the adapter from a vendor but the clocking is just not what I want so we started to look at building our own.
We can build a two part adapter so one side bolts to the TDI and the other side bolts to the vehicle trans. There is a spigot that keys the two parts together in whatever position you want to orientate your engine.
This would add about 1.5 - 2" between the engine and trans which helps with vacuum pump clearance to the firewall on most vehicles.
We have patterns for most small trucks and cars as well as some V6 and V8's.
They would be cast aluminum and CNC machined with a steel crank adapter.
Cost should be in the $900 range.
I'll build the first one for the AX15 trans in my Jeep and post some pics but it will be a month or so before we get it built.

Comments?

Thanks
Randy

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
Sounds cool, would the adapter price include a crankshaft adapter as well?

The adapter to trans is a big hurdle, but many forget that once the trans is bolted up, it is another big problem to adapt the flywheel to engine

Last edited:

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
They would be cast aluminum and CNC machined with a steel crank adapter.

We already build the crank adapters for the electric motors so this is basically two crank adapters back to back.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
This sounds just like what I am looking for. I have been gathering parts for a TDI conversion on a 99 Ranger to replace the 4.0 litre gas guzzler.

If you could adapt to the Ford/Mazda 5 speed transmission I would be interested.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
there are piles of rangers waiting for a diesel...

i too would like to see an adapter for the 5 speed trans in a ranger.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
In theory any of our current EV adapters could be built for the TDI, if this new system works.
Here is what we build now.
http://www.canev.com/adapters.php
This looks very interesting and potentially very useful. However, there are rules here. Before you actually start selling adapters to members here, you really ought to look into acquiring vendor status. Read the vendor rules and registration info here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=214572

Welcome to TDIClub.

Have Fun!

Don

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Thanks Don.
I had no intention of building TDI adapters when I joined the Forum.
I even bought my TDI/Jeep adapter from a vendor but when it did not do what I wanted and after reading a lot of the swap threads I can see a need for a better mouse trap.
If this turns into a little side business then I will sighed up as a vendor but for now I'm just a swapper. :)

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Ive got an 2.5L Jeep I just swapped an AX15 into; the original motor is showing its age, and has zero power for bigger wheels, or even keeping highway speeds this altitude I live at... I dont want a big heavy v8 in the front and I love spending all day on the trail oblivious to my fuel gauge, seems it wont even budge while the 4.0L Jeeps I am with are refilling with jerry cans.

As soon as my bus conversion is done I'll get another ALH motor to put into the Wrangler, sure in hell not paying for a coty kit... so I am very interested!

Last edited:

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Agreed, the Coty kit is way to dang expensive for what you get.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Most of you have probably seen my BEW Cherokee which has pic's of the adapter. I had forgotten about this thread.
Here are some pic's for those that have not seen it.

The engine and trans adapter plates.

Engine plate installed

Trans plate bolted to engine plate.

By redrilling the 6 holes in the trans plate you can clock the engine at any angle you want.

Here it is in the Jeep with the stock Jeep starter installed.

Remote oil filter block in the Ranger

2005 Ranger conversion started as well.
This one had a 3L and I'm going to try and keep the automatic.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Have not got that far yet.
Was hoping to keep it on the engine though.
I'll post a pic once I get it figured out and a bracket made.

TDI
alh tj project
very interested in one for my tj. And when talking with coty whoever i was talking to came off as a complete a*****e. when i asked if i could just buy certain parts that were not listed individually on the site. I really would want to keep my stock accessories.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
very interested in one for my tj. And when talking with coty whoever i was talking to came off as a complete a*****e. when i asked if i could just buy certain parts that were not listed individually on the site. I really would want to keep my stock accessories.
I have had the same experience and the lead times are very long.
I'm keeping the VW alt, PS and A/C to simplify things.
I wonder how close my XJ motor mounts would be to the TJ.
The engine side should work and then just fab up the frame side.
I should have the engine installed for good next week with pic's of the finished mounts.
What trans do you have?

You can email me, randy@canev.com

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Thanks for the coments and I'm glad there is interest in this.
We are just in the proccess of doing the first CNC run of the oil filter adapters and should be shipping the first orders this week.

I have shipped 4 of the adapter kits in the last month and are finally getting them programmed for CNC so we don't have people waiting anymore. Should have the first CNC adapter run in about a week which will take care of the 6 back-orders. Going forward we should always have the adapters shown on the website IN STOCK!
I'm always interested to here what people are looking for so we can try to help.
At the moment we are building the 4L Jeep, 3L and 4L Ford Ranger and Chevy SB to TDI adapters.

A-man930

Veteran Member
TDI
Planning Stages: ALH Jeep MJ
I just wanted to say that in the last month or so I've been tempted by the dark side on regards to my Comanche conversion (4.8 LS1...)
But the more research I do the more I run into cost and confusion surrounding using an LS with the AX15!
All this to say that the TDi to AX15 game seems super easy now! Thanks for your product!

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
agreed, I have an ALH, an AX15 and a Broken Jeep in my garage right now... the motor is for the bus but damn your not making it easy on me.. because getting the jeep running would be alot easier at this point.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I hope to have a YouTube video up by the end of next week of my XJ, maybe that will put you over the edge. ;>)
Fired it up today, major moral booster. Still have quite a few small things to finish up.