TDI to '87 Yota 4runner

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base

New alternator installed, turbo and intake are on, clutch is installed, looks like it will be going in tomorrow, and should possibly be able to hear it run within the next couple days!

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Nice,I just joined because I will be swapping an 01 ALH in a Samurai
and ran across your build.Looks like you are close to start up.
yeah hopefully have it atleast running by the end of this week. It won't be driveable just yet but it's getting very very close!

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
well I wanted to try to turn the engine over and get a little oil pushed through it tonight before trying to start it and good thing I did...engine is stuck from sitting for 1+ year. I pulled the glow plugs and have been putting diesel down the cylinder for now seeing if it works here in a couple days...

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
well engine is coming back out! engine is frozen up so I picked up a spare today and will be dropping it in instead and selling some parts to recoup some of the funds...

ToyotaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 4Runner AHU
Looking great and you're almost there! Make sure and post and first start video when you get her going.

Still driving mine for a few years now and its been fantastic.

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Looking great and you're almost there! Make sure and post and first start video when you get her going.

Still driving mine for a few years now and its been fantastic.
thanks for the inspiration man, the holidays and all the other stuff including work have been cramping my style with finishing this thing! And now having to swap engines is just one more hassle to add to the matter!

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well come to find out acme didn't send me a piece with my new flywheel kit when I bought it, it looks to be a little "ring washer" the goes between the flywheel and flywheel bolts so the flywheel bolts that they sent were too long when installed and were hitting on something internal. Which caused the engine not to be able to spin freely

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
I don't see how that could affect the engine,the crank shaft bolt holes are
blind.They should have just bottomed out and the flywheel would have been loose.

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well that's what I thought but as soon as I pulled them out the engine spun fine. But when I put them back in without the flywheel on even by hand they go as far as they can and I put pressure on the crank and it will not move! I take them out spins freely...

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I don't see how that could affect the engine,the crank shaft bolt holes are
blind.They should have just bottomed out and the flywheel would have been loose.
they are not blind but go all the way through... if too long a bolt is inserted they will bottom out on the number five main cap and webbing and it will lock up the motor

Last edited:

ToyotaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 4Runner AHU
they are not blind but go all the way through... if too long a bolt is inserted they will bottom out on the number five main cap and webbing and it will lock up the motor
Great to know, interesting they decided to make it a through hole.

Thats some pretty tough luck, glad to hear its only gonna cost $1 worth of washers to fix though :)