TDI to '87 Yota 4runner

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
I made 2 piece mounts well 3 if you count what's welded to the frame? The other piece bolts to the engine and the last piece is actually the original Toyota 4runner rubber isolator mount I tried to keep as many stock parts as possible from both vehicles

frozenplum4

TDI
none for now
I made 2 piece mounts well 3 if you count what's welded to the frame? The other piece bolts to the engine and the last piece is actually the original Toyota 4runner rubber isolator mount I tried to keep as many stock parts as possible from both vehicles
Alright cool, makes sense. Just used the factor Toyota mounting points and rubber isolators on the frame and added your own metal mounts to the engine.

I'm just wondering in case I ever get around to my swap and I have to make mounts

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
No you have to make your own rubber isolator to frame mounts they have to be moved forward or backwards depending on the side and which trans cross member that you use

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base

Engine is fully housed in the 4Runner going to pull it and clean up the frame some more, then align the engine to the bell housing for input shaft run out. And then onto the fuel system

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base

Welded in the front hanger and slapped a leaf on it to see how soft the front would be looks like I'll need some lift leafs because these ones are too soft for the front lol

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well, ordered a U-bolt flip kit, axle armor, and an axle rebuild kit for the front axle, I should be getting this thing rolling on it's own 4 wheels again here very very soon! I still need to find some different front leaf springs. but all in all it's coming together, still trying to figure out what turbo I'm going to end up running...

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
ordering my AFN exhaust manifold+support bracket and drainback line for my bv43... ;) she should make decent power lol

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well I've been extremely lazy about this project with work and just every day life... Had wrist surgery so that slowed everything down now I'm tired of it sitting time to get back to work! Lol

Cleaned up the solid axle knuckles I'm going to sand blast the axle housing again including the axle armor and then spray it all with primer and who knows what color lol possibly black and white? Lol

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Axles under it, FINALLY! With some ****ty leaf springs just ordered some new ones should be here Wednesday or Thursday...

Axle all perdied up

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Thanks man, I'm putting a whole hell of a lot more into this project then I had ever planned to lol engine, axle, wheels tires, gonna have to keep this thing in my family forever after the amount of blood sweat and tears lol

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
New 3" lift front leaf springs came in Wednesday! So they'll be going in tomorrow and then building a new leaf pack to match for the rear ;) she's gone be sexy as **** soon

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
It's going to be nice. My old 22RE in my '89 pickup is still putting along, but I hope to get a diesel in that when it does finally fade away.

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
It's going to be nice. My old 22RE in my '89 pickup is still putting along, but I hope to get a diesel in that when it does finally fade away.
Good luck sir you've got 2 options for the front end either solid axle swap or cut the oil pan that has been the biggest headache of this entire project

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base

New 3" lift front leaf springs...lookin a little prerunner-ish I guess I better find some new rears to match or build some sorry about my lack of shirt lol

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Since I have access to a lathe I will be making an acme adapter to Toyota bell-housing alignment tool. The tool will insert into where the oil lite bushing would go, and then you would then align the bell-housing over top of it, tighten it down and insert your dowl pins where they need to go for future alignment and reassembly of the transmission

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base

Adapter is lined up, dowels are in and welded. Now to reassemble the transmission and get the engine wired back up. And dropped in. Going to grab up a same side in/out inter oiler off of Amazon tonight also. Still need to drop the tank and clean all the fuel lines out.

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
92 4Runner-ALH Swap In Progress

Wiring harness all laid out ready to strap in!
WOW!! Yours looks way cleaner than mine. I left all the plenum plugs intact and just cut out any unused wires. I was considering cutting out the plugs once it is all in and I think I'm convinced. Mine is an absolute mess.

Last edited:

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
I did not do the wiring myself, I had Hasenwerk on here do it but looking at the harness it's pretty simple. He does good work but with very little knowledge of wiring I'm sure someone could easily recreate something just as good. I just didn't have the time to work the harness on my own. Hell, I barely have time to work on the truck at all on my own...between the army keeping me busy, and my house remodeling I've been having to juggle the projects and the house has taken more priority lately. I'm still trying to figure out my plan for the rear suspension and I'm also trying to remember which fuel line on the TDI engine is supply and which is return lol.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Mounted ECU in stock location in passenger kick panel. Routed through firewall into engine compartment.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well waiting on my new alternator to come in since the one that was on my engine isn't producing power due to a garbage regulator, and waiting on a starter for it also...so I decided to drop the tank and start cleaning it along with seeing if I can repair my faulty fuel level sending unit and just as I had suspected typical Toyota fashion I found this!

So I'm going to give it a go at rewinding mine before I go dropping $150-$200 on one!