TDI to '87 Yota 4runner

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Ok, so I've started gathering parts for my swap. I now have my donor vehicle and my transplant vehicle. I've started making the adapter for the engine to trans on my mill. I will add pictures here soon. but I just have one question?

everyone I've seeing using the ACME kit says it comes with a pilot bushing? Is anyone else actually using a pilot bearing instead or what did you end up using when you did your swap?

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Bushing is preferred, the ball bearings are kinda small. Yay! Another toyota build

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Anyone have the measurement for that bushing so I can get all my machining done while I'm home here in Ohio and the material used?

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
What's the diameter of the input shaft on the toyota trans? I have some for a tracker transmission I had custom made, with a 10mm center, but I think that's a bit smaller than the toyota one. I had them made out of oil lite.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok so they just made a brass bushing then, I just need the dimensions for it now
What's the diameter of the toyota input shaft? The outside diameter of the bushing is 21mm. Inside would be whatever the toyota one is, I'm about 75% sure it's 12mm. And length, isn't too terribly important, as long as it's not way too long, or way too short. I had mine made at 15mm long.

View this post here, it has some details:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3326282&postcount=57

Last edited:

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Found the dimensions of the bushing in another post here lol.

Next question!
Has anyone made their trans to engine adapter from aluminum before?

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
it shouldnt hurt anything to make out of aluminum they do it with other adapter plate on other motors. go for it

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
I picked up a 2002 Jetta with the ALH in it. I am capable of everything only thing I'm even thinking I may have issues with is the wiring in it lol

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Also does anyone have the flywheel redrill diagram laid out in measurements? I have been able to find the diagram laid out as angles, but I don't have a turn table for cutting it that way?

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Donor car how I picked it up, amazingly there wasn't a whole lot of damage basically everything just shifted to the passenger side?

this is basically hoe it currently sits a little more cut off then this but basically close.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Also does anyone have the flywheel redrill diagram laid out in measurements? I have been able to find the diagram laid out as angles, but I don't have a turn table for cutting it that way?
I'm pretty sure I have seen it floating around here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. At least I'm pretty sure I've seen the bolt pattern.

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
these are in mm. if you need measurements to inches it would be 66.75/25.4 the others would be the same and it would be 10/25.4 thats really all you need for it. go from the middle. and work around.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
All the holes line up except one and that hole can be elongated to fit, little redneck but could save someone a couple bucks that is making their own kit and doesn't have access to a machine shop.
Go with the 9-3/8" flywheel from the turbo truck, stronger clutch options, unless you are reusing the one already in your truck.

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Yes that mechanic drawing is the one I found also I just am looking for number from center to from to, to drill holes since I don't have a turn table.

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
center to center hole would be half of 66.75 which would be 33.375 from the center off the flywheel out to the center of the flywheel holes.

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well not a ton of progress since I had my tonsils removed last week...
But engine and trans are out...

Took out the entire subframe and all...seemed the easiet way lol

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well not much progress because of my work schedule but sold the 5spd swap so I'll be ordering my engine to trans adapter from acme

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
lol that looks like the perfect position for where mine needs to go also! are you happy with your TDI swap into your yota?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
lol that looks like the perfect position for where mine needs to go also! are you happy with your TDI swap into your yota?
And is there anything you would have rather done different with yours?
i drive it almost every day, so yes, i'm very happy with it ... as far as "done different" it needs lower gearing, preferably 3:90 or 4:10 currently 3:59 and i really want power windows ;)

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Lol I kinda have power windows I need to find another 4Runner of this year and get some parts off of it and look at it because when I bought it there was a wood block holding up the passenger side window bahahaha

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base

Started cleaning up the engine yesterday with some degreaser...God I almost forgot how dirty Diesel engines were lol. I'm used to working on helicopters now that are clean and no grease anywhere lol