PRA4WX's corrado

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I really love your car's fuel lines (how many times has anybody heard that ;) )

I tried hard 2 years ago to get them. My dealer ordered every part number we could find to get them with no success. The passat lines we kept getting were the 5th injector lines with a cap or the IDI lines. I decided to use the jetta lines that go under the hose but would like a new set of lines like yours:

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Car left the garage under diesel power this week for a little shake down. Looked like at idle injection was at ~2-2.2. Adjusted up in vagcom to closer to 3. I may move the pump to get up around 5 to try out. As of right now it starts, idles, very smoothly. Driving it, it was smooth, but i didn't show/have any boost so not really reflective of much there. Getting a steady flashing coolant light......haven't begun running that down. Coolant temp shows steady and stable.

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Did more shaking down last night. Initially had compression leak around the number four injector. Retorqued the forks. Did two small pulls.....running low boost.....it made me do this :-D. Left a cloud of incriminatory glory.........boost turned up where it should be may help with that....i shall see. Have to get the down pipe and exhaust made.....a little on the fence about the downpipe as to what direction to go....

Last edited:

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Took it out to the bike shop (just an excuse to venture a little further out. By the way, solid front motor mount....no big deal. Based on no experience with these tdi's and the reports i was hearing, i thought it be a bone jarring teeth rattling experience.......quite the opposite. Dare i say it's calm....:eek:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Nice, when do you plan on turning up the boost and taking some videos of it?

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Nice, when do you plan on turning up the boost and taking some videos of it?
Ha. I can't wait. But for right now i still have a stock map sensor and am only planning on about 20psi. I also am highly doubtful the clutch will hold much.... and already last night i blew an intercooler hose.....the connection at the intake side that drops below is a bit of a stretch and i played a little with it last night. May have to refit some pipe, but with some adjustment it fits a bit better now. You can kind of see it in this:

Hopefully next week i'll get the down pipe/exhaust wrapped up. Planning on 3in all the way w/o any restrictions.;)

Last edited:

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
It's exhausted now. While on the lift getting the exhaust done the infamous corrado radiator neck broke completely off w/o room to reclamp enough to even limp home. So this is the rig we came up with to get home:

Finally have given in and a billet replacement is in its way. I was looking forward to beginning to drive it......

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
And that problem solved:

On to the next. Took it out last night for a quick spin to get the wife some cider. Boosting to about 10psi. First two gears easy throttle but enough to see about 5lbs. Did a stronger pull through 3rd two times up to and backed off at 10psi.....everything good to go. Runs out pretty good too. I'm excited! Turn around to head back and decide to do one more 3rd gear pull from cursing at 2k rpm. Back off before 4k, and on decel the engine shuts down. Add throttle, and it comes to life but its running weak. Have to stay in the revs to keep it running when off load, on load can only use light throttle or it bogs and dies. It would die at idle. I would then crank, crank, crank, and some throttle and it would come to life. Managed to nurse it home. Sounds like fueling to me........ Lift pump is still running, no air in line, no fuel leaks-okay so that all seems good. I've put off changing the fuel filter-it has the filter from the donor and i don't know how long it had been in service-but was planning on it anyway. Gonna pull the lines after and at the filter and verify i still have good fueling from the in tank and through the filter. Maybe clogged filter? Water?
Any of this tell the experienced tdi'er something? Sound like fueling?

Have an exhaust leak somewhere in the at the back of the head.

Noticed some exhaust track from the #4 injector as well. Retorqued it. How common is blowby at the injectors? No fuel was leaking from the injector tops but a couple were slightly wet at the line and nut junction. Retorqued the lines.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Check your timing belt and make sure it didn't jump before you try to start it again.

How well was the fuel tank drained of gasoline? Is there a possiblilty that there was some in the system that would have decreased the fuel's lubricity?
What injector nozzles do you have? I have diagnosed a car that their nozzles caused the issues you describe.
Are the copper injector gaskets new? If they are used, unless annealed they will never seal the combustion gasses from escaping. Another cause of the combustion blow by that I've seen is the head being cracked due to someone else over tightening the injector hold down.

Good luck

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
I haven't verified jumped timing, but that the belt was in place. Timing was a question. Fuel tank was completely drained. I suppose a lubricate additive isn't a bad idea. Another note, the fuel was possibly better than 8 months old.
The head wasn't cracked when I reinstalled it. I definitely didn't over torque at install. But maybe since....have to look at it. The nozzles are brand new R520's fresh off install, balance, pop testing, etc by DBW. I did not personally replace the copper injector gaskets.....i would guess this wasn't part of the injector service Kerma/DBW did as i didn't see or hear anything about it.
Haven't seen this yet, but on these tdi''s will a bad coolant temp sensor cause similar running problems?
Thanks for the input!

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Bad news for me.....timing is definitely off.....don't know why or how. Tensioner is good. Belt is tight. Crank pulley is good. Only thing i can figure is cam pulley slipped on the cam? I'm guessing being such high compression motors plus cam ment valves have gotten into pistons. Pretty bummed at the moment.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Bummer, I feel your pain. Hopefully there won't be too much carnage inside.

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Kick me for using 33ftlbs maybe. New cam. Made as best i'm able surfaces were clean. Debated torquing more than 33. Decided just to do it by the book. Maybe the wrong choice now in retrospect. It had run in time for more than 5 heat cycles/drives. I daknow. Maybe my wrench is out....Maybe my
Mechanic is out of spec! ;-P

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Are the tops of the lifters dented in at all from the piston hitting the valve?

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
I just went through the whole thread very nice swap sorry about the TB issue hope eveything works out for the best..

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
That sucks. 42ft-lbs is what I use.

Did you determine how far it slipped? looks like just a little bit. Did valves make contact with pistons?

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
I did not determine why it slipped. It apparently only slipped slightly. It is together and running. It appears the valve/piston getogether didn't happen. I degreased both cam and pulley. Smothed the pulley. Torqued the bolt to 50ftlbs. Re timed started and drove it. I'm more than a little leary of another slip.....particularly not knowing exactly why it happened other than using 33ftlbs.......

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
when I torqued mine to spec after installing my colt stage 2 cam, it clicked at the first sign of being snugged, but I tried again and it turned a hair more, clicking again second time..just saying sometimes the bolt isn't totally tight after the first click. Mine has run flawlessly since the install, but I may pull the cover and retorque it to 45 just to be on the safe side.

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
when I torqued mine to spec after installing my colt stage 2 cam, it clicked at the first sign of being snugged, but I tried again and it turned a hair more, clicking again second time..just saying sometimes the bolt isn't totally tight after the first click. Mine has run flawlessly since the install, but I may pull the cover and retorque it to 45 just to be on the safe side.
On any high impact torque item, i torque it and then recheck the torqued value. (I realize this can lead to over torquing but i'm a bit OCD in this issue)