ALH TDI into Mk4 GLI swap - have questions

TDI-Guy

TDI
1999 Mk4 TDI
I'm going to be taking the ALH TDI swap out of my 1999 Mk4 jetta (no power windows, mirrors, no sunroof) and putting it into a 2005 Jetta GLI (power windows, mirrors, incl sunroof). I have seen a few pages with similar Mk4 gasser to diesel swaps, but all the pictures are expired. Does anyone know of a more recent post with this swap done? I have misc questions that would save me time if I got answered up front, rather than working through them blind, such as:
Do I need to swap tank, pump and lines or will the gasser setup work?
Misc options wiring questions (related to power mirrors, windows, etc)
Misc wire integration vs replacement questions

Thanks to anyone with quality insight

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I know this doesn't answer your question in the slightest, but I met a 15yo kid who did a 04 bew swap into a 05 gli in under 2 weeks and it was done very professionally. He also did a head gasket and some other internal engine things while he was in there. Honestly it was some of the most impressive work I've seen for a 15yo. You'll be pretty much stripping both cars and just moving everything from one to the other.
All that to say goodluck and have fun! Its totally doable! Wish the guy was on the forums here. He would be awesome to have around here.

dieselvwgolf

TDI
2001 Golf TDI & 2013 Passat TDI SE
I know this doesn't answer your question in the slightest, but I met a 15yo kid who did a 04 bew swap into a 05 gli in under 2 weeks and it was done very professionally. He also did a head gasket and some other internal engine things while he was in there. Honestly it was some of the most impressive work I've seen for a 15yo. You'll be pretty much stripping both cars and just moving everything from one to the other.
All that to say goodluck and have fun! Its totally doable! Wish the guy was on the forums here. He would be awesome to have around here.
The BEW does share a bit more with the later MK4 GLI as the had the funky radio bit in common, but it’s good to know it’s pretty easy. Seems like it doesn’t take long to do much of anything with these cars. I was just trying to Cheat and not pull the interior wire harness. Thanks for the confidence that it can be done

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ya, definitely a lot to do but it seemed it was a lots of smaller things that had to be done. Also helps if the car isn't rusty. I asked him mid way through what he thought of it and he said it wasn't all that bad.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beautiful! That'll make things way easier for you.
I should text the guy to see what he thinks post swap. Only met him the one time. He sold it not to long after the swap and the car just popped up for sale a few months ago for 7k. Really well done and immaculate condition for MN. When I saw the chasis he put the bew into I couldnt believe the previous owner tore it apart for the engine and trans. The body was near perfect.

dieselvwgolf

TDI
2001 Golf TDI & 2013 Passat TDI SE
Beautiful! That'll make things way easier for you.
I should text the guy to see what he thinks post swap. Only met him the one time. He sold it not to long after the swap and the car just popped up for sale a few months ago for 7k. Really well done and immaculate condition for MN. When I saw the chasis he put the bew into I couldnt believe the previous owner tore it apart for the engine and trans. The body was near perfect.
If he has any knowledge to pass along that would be awesome. I’ll DM you my number.