TDI in an old bug ?

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
is it possible ?

I bought one of the new bugs and other than my friends all giving me **** for driving a girly car its awesome. I was wondering if anyone ever managed to bludgeon one of these TDI engines into an older bug or beetle.

I'd be really curious to see some picts if anyone has

Cheers

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
I highly doubt it. Space for the engine might not be an issue, but the transmission would definitely be a big issue.

In short; very few engines were behind the rear wheels-- pushing the vehicle forward. Almost all vehicles with this configuration were vw's. None of the transmissions are geared for modern tdi's.

Put on a dress and go dancing--

Andrew

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
Its been done, ive seen it. It was ugly, but worked.

Basically half of the engine stuck out of the hood and there was a model t type hood fabricated to cover it.

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle

Basically half of the engine stuck out of the hood and there was a model t type hood fabricated to cover it.
Yikes that would be ugly

I was thinking more as if someone put it in the back and either locked the steering mechanism or removed it completely.

Or maybe both ends steer ;--)

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
yea, it was ugly. The car was a rat, so it sort of matched the rest of it.

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
I wonder if you could cut the top off a newer bug and weld the older style onto the sorta frame

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up

Trunk, not hood! And yes, that would look like a deformity!

I owned a couple of bugs (a '69, and a '72). They were not made for a powerful engine. It was a balanced car with the low boxer back there that stood up to a 70 horsepower engine, but I think the front end would have some pretty severe understeer if you tried to use the torque of a TDI while turning:eek:

Last edited:

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
I highly doubt it. Space for the engine might not be an issue, but the transmission would definitely be a big issue.

In short; very few engines were behind the rear wheels-- pushing the vehicle forward. Almost all vehicles with this configuration were vw's. None of the transmissions are geared for modern tdi's.

Put on a dress and go dancing--

Andrew

I stand corrected. There apparently is one. Although it sounds like it would be better if there wasn't.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
The T3 had a diesel engine, so there is a transmission in the right layout to suit a TDI bug. Probably more work than its worth though.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
I have seen a rear engine swap done. The rear engine cover didn't fit though

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
I seam to remember a bug in europe if I remember right. He put a 3 cyl tdi in and got the hood to close in the stock configuration. Don't remember where I saw it.
Have a friend with a 1.4 AMF in a rabbit pickup and gets along quite fine...But I like my 1.9 caddy more.

bvward

TDI
2000 Jetta TDi, 1.5 liter NA VW Diesel Industial engine (on a stand)
If you used a Type II Bus gearbox with the lay over bellhousing from a Vanagon diesel the motor would "almost: fit. You would still need to run the cooling lines to a radiator, either in the spare tire well (cutting vent holes in the hood) or giving up your back seat and duct it through the side and out the back.
I have seen "Baja" Bugs with a Diesel hanging out the back, with the radiator mounted between the engine and a custom fabricated back bumper. Kennedy Engineering in Pacoima (SP?) California makes an adapter plate to bolt I4 VW engines to early Beetle/Bus transmissions. The kit includes a clutch & flywheel.

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
All very intriguing responses. Thanks

I'm unlikely to make this modification but I am in the market for an older VW. I always drove bugs and beetles in my college days and, well, I've got the "bug" again ;--)

It'll sit down at my shop much of the time and I'll only take it out for weekends. Not my daily driver, but I remember fiddling with those carburetors all the time so I was just exploring some options. I was thinking fuel injection the other day. I'm sure someone makes a kit.

Anyway you guys are awesome with all the info.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've seen several VW Bugs with in-line 4-cylinder gasser engines installed. In shop adapter was made for the fit.

The Vanagon diesel transmission with the 50 degree lay-over angle would place the engine head/intake against the left side bay (major mod would be required). Plus, you would need a set of modified axles as well as front tranny mount.................. And, don't for get the radiator, hoses, etc.

I've also seen several rail buggies with in-line gasser 4-cylinders bolted to the VW Beetle transmission that worked just fine roughing in the off-road scene.

There's too many other great possibilities for a TDI conversion to be doing a VW Beetle Bug ........., in my opinion!

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
Yeah, I have a machine shop I can work in when I need to. So its not completely out of the question to make an adaptor plate. I was just wondering if anyone had done it before and how it worked out.

I think that comment about the balance of the vehicle was spot on and pretty much nailed that coffin shut. It might work, but the car wouldn't handle for beans

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
good call. there are much better engines to swap into a beetle, and much better cars/trucks to swap a TDI into.