16 Jetta TSI

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Some great deals on VWs that's for sure. Nice haggle tactic, either give me a good OTD cash price or I walk out the door.

Well to me the Passat is still a standout in the midsize segment. Although I'll probably accept the buyback it's amazing how attached I've gotten to my TDI, even with all its faults. The Mark 5 and TDI combo give that premium feel.

New TSIs will be tough to pass up if VW dealers will be giving them away. How can anyone turn down a great buyback offer and not swap up to a NEW car for $4-5k. Great thread.

I'm staying tuned to VWs drama, once the buyback takes effect those VW dealers are the last link to Wolfsburg.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Good customer of mine sadly was rear ended hard in his 1/4 million mile 2004 Jetta wagon... he was OK, but the car was unrepairable.

He went to the Volkswagen dealer, intent on buying a new TDI wagon which of course he couldn't. They did not even have any gas wagons there, as those are still good sellers they said. But they did have an unsold 2015 GTI there, and while he did not want the automatic once he drove the car he really liked the whole package enough he went for it... and he got a really good deal he said.

I just serviced the car recently, as its PM reminder came on due to time, not mileage. It had 1200 miles on it.

So yes, I think you can make some good deals on what they have.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
My 2001 B5 Passat 1.8T met a similar fate and what I've always liked about VWs is they are sure footed and handle accidents very well, after all they are engineered where there are no speed limits.

Having two small children now aged 10 & 12 I'm actually confident driving my family of 4 in my Jetta. Sure not as smooth as the wife's 2012 S60 2.5 T5 FWD, but her's only gets about 30 mpgs on the highway, stinks in the city.

I looked at SUVs, test drove Camrys, Accords and even scoped out some Optimas, but in the end I'll probably trade up to a Passat coming off a 2 or 3 year lease. Main reason being the buyback.

I like GTI too but being that I occasionally haul leaf bags to my town's dump and have "heavyweight" in laws (and most of my cousins) I know they'll love the roomy backseat of Passat.

NoFuiYo

TDI
None :'(
It does have cloth seating. It has all standard options of the S plus backup camera, heated seats, push button start, and 16" Sedona wheels (off the top of my head). NO sunroof, I wont own any sort of car with one. For a cheap commuter it has some nice options, but it certainly isn't high end by any means (I'm not complaining though).
Only picture I have.
Very nice Jetta... nothing on the market comes close to that vehicle at the price you got for:)

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I wanted a GTI very badly. They even located one spec'ed out how I wanted. I just couldn't justify the extra 5-6k in price at this point. You do get a lot for that money though.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I haven't seen any manuals here w/ heated seats-I did see a Cardinal Red w/ the wheels like you have,they really look sharp w/ the red. I may go visit dealers either tomorrow or Saturday.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The SE's come w/heated seats,but also a push button start:(.The dealer I visited had a bunch of Silk Blue manuals-a couple SE's,a Technology package one,and a bare bones one.I test drove the SE-the salesman started it up-seemed like starter kept going. I was impressed on how quick it felt. We switched places about 1/2 mile after test drive started. I thought the rear-view camera was neat. 70mph on interstate was reached quickly,and was smooth and solid-didn't even feel that fast. It was about a 5 mile test drive. I'm sold on it-got my info,pulled my credit,valued my trade.He'll call my bank on Mon. morning for exact payoff,then call the lender(VW) about financing. I also opted for an extended warranty(through Allstate) for 5yr/125k miles(drive about 25k/year).I will get word on Monday......I opted for the bare bones MANUAL one.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cool deal man! Manual?
Of course;). I effing hate the Matrix w/ the automatic. Fingers crossed that the bank will play nice w/ interest rates and approval.......I was tempted to test a regular Ford Focus 5 spd,but the colors sucked and were even rarer at dealers than the Jettas. I was tempted though,as my sister has an '09 Focus she bought new and it recently turned over 210k miles and has been dead-nuts reliable. The deal I signed was $1k rebate off the top instead of card,$500 dealer cash and $500 conquest for the Toyota.Trade came in approx $1k below what I owe on it.I can always find alloy wheels on craigslist.....if I do get this car,I can finally purge my garage of all the A3/B4 items I've accumulated over 10 yrs.....

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I also noticed while sitting in it,it seemed pretty damn close in size to what my B4 felt like in size. I was searching Vortex for any info on the 1.4,and not many threads(yet). Salesman said 10k oil change intervals,along w/ 5w-40 synthetic oil. Do you know if that's right? The oil cap was only marked "Castrol",I didn't see any grade specs on it. I also noticed a Golf in the showroom,and the automatic tranny was STANDARD in it-uuggggghhhh......

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
VW recomends a specific type of Castrol oil. Its in the owners manual. I'm not sure the VW oil spec or oil weights. It does feel as spacious as a B4 to me as well, which really shows how big cars have gotten. I would have gotten a Passat if they had a manual, but the Jetta isn't that much smaller. I'm 6'6" and fit in it about as well as I do most cars.

oilhammer

TDI
It requires a 502.00 spec 5w40 oil. Castrol Edge meets that requirement, as do many other oils. Most any oil that meets the 502.00 spec will also meet the 505.00 spec, which is what the pre-PD TDIs use. And most every 505.01 spec 5w40 will also meet the 502.00 spec.

Castrol probably paid for something and that is why they get free advertising. Some other manufacturers do this as well.

I run Castrol in my cars, but you should be able to use any 502.00 5w40 oil you like. Pentosin, Motul, etc.

Keep in mind, this is an assumption on my part, as I have not yet looked under the hood of one of these 1.4L cars or looked in its owner's book. Most all newer VAG products have a sticker under the hood for oil spec, though.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
Thinking about picking one these cars with a 5 speed. The only thing that bothers me about the Tsi engine is there is a lot soot in the tail pipe.

oilhammer

TDI
Thinking about picking one these cars with a 5 speed. The only thing that bothers me about the Tsi engine is there is a lot soot in the tail pipe.

Yep, that is a common thing on all direct injected gas engines. The GM 3.6L V6 CUVs' tailpipes are sootier than my PD TDI.

Don't worry, particle filters are coming for gassers soon enough, and then after that the EPA will have one more way to force everyone into EVs like it or not.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
Our 2014 Ford Flex with 3.5 DI engine does not have soot in the tail pipe and has 28,000 miles on it. My fathe in-law's Audi Q5 has more soot than my 2003 JSW with fat injectors ever did.

Last edited:

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
Our 2014 Ford Flex with DI does not have soot on the tail pipe, but my father in-laws Audi 2016 Q5 2.0 FSI has more soot than my 2003 JSW with big fat injectors.

oilhammer

TDI
Our 2014 Ford Flex with DI does not have soot on the tail pipe, but my father in-laws Audi 2016 Q5 2.0 FSI has more soot than my 2003 JSW with big fat injectors.

I've never seen any Ecoboost that had "clean" tailpipes, ever. Even my dad's brand spankin' new F150 already is started to dirty its tailpipe, and it doesn't even have 5k miles on it yet. Heck, the 1994 F150 it replaces sitting right next to it has a cleaner tailpipe and it has covered nearly 300k miles (and it still has its original exhaust system, LOL).

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
We'll 1500 miles in and mine is still clean. I know GTDI's have a problem with it though.

Last edited:

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Yep, that is a common thing on all direct injected gas engines. The GM 3.6L V6 CUVs' tailpipes are sootier than my PD TDI.
Don't worry, particle filters are coming for gassers soon enough, and then after that the EPA will have one more way to force everyone into EVs like it or not.
Particulate Filters are likely to be in Gasoline engines' future. Volkswagen's CR DPFs have not exactly gotten rave reviews here on the forum. Another emissions component to worry about for automakers and then consumers. The Big Three are hopefully working on some pretty big batteries that can tow 10,000 lbs and drive for 300-400 miles. They'll be coming up with a three row pick-up soon to match three row SUVs. :D

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My first tank yielded 416 miles(60 left) 35.4 pen and paper,32.9 on display. This was with A/C on about 95% of time:D. My first glance in the owners manual didn't say anything about the 1.4 for a timing belt,only the 2.0 and the hybrid motor engine,which I believe is the same. I found the sticker under hood for oil spec-just says 502.00,nothing about weight. I still don't think it's right waiting till 10k for first oil change:confused:.....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Congrats on the new ride, Bob. And you're right, the MKVI Jetta Sedan is actually almost exactly the same size as your B4. I've driven my daughter's with the four of us in it, very comfortable.

I am intrigued by the 1.4T, but I'd probably get laughed out of IDParts if I bought one. However, I've got my dealer looking for a '15 Jetta Sedan TDI for me. Sounds like they'll be able to sell them in October. May not cost any more than a '16 TSI after discounts. We'll see if it actually happens.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is your daughters a 1.4T or a different motor? I'd say if it's not a 1.4,go take one for a test drive.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It was a 2.0. I'm not going to drive a 1.4T, because I won't buy another gasoline powered car. Afraid I might like it. I'll restore the B4 first.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Don't try the 1.8 TSI , then
It pulls cleanly from 3rd gear at 1400 rpm all the way to 80 mph and gets 35mpg
And it has chains and a plastic oil pan ( replacing with a metal reinforced one )
We will still have to deal with the carboned valves though since VW took out the port injectors
10,000 mile oil changes , top oil filter mount and REAL independent rear suspension

I will miss the TDIs but I am not buying a diesel unless it is a 4 banger .

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
My first tank yielded 416 miles(60 left) 35.4 pen and paper,32.9 on display. This was with A/C on about 95% of time:D. My first glance in the owners manual didn't say anything about the 1.4 for a timing belt,only the 2.0 and the hybrid motor engine,which I believe is the same. I found the sticker under hood for oil spec-just says 502.00,nothing about weight. I still don't think it's right waiting till 10k for first oil change:confused:.....
502 or 504
Castrol 0W-40 , 0W-30, 5W-40
Mobil -1 0W-40

10K oil change is fine , my 1.8 TSI holds almost 6 qts

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
1.8 has timing chain and balance shafts . Tensioners will need change , I am sure but it is pretty straightforward
I am happy they omitted the ValveLift system from the 1.8T . It looks it might be prone to mechanical wear in addition to the solenoids going bad
Thermostat is complicated , using electrically actuated valves to guide coolant flow around the engine
Water pump is on the tranny side of the engine
Oil spray underneath pistons is manipulated by the ECU , hefty oil cooler
Front mounted IC and plenty of potential with Turbo upgrades , this motor is a tuners dream
Front suspension similar to MKIV but with TT style bushings on the control arms

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
The 1.4 has been out in Europe for a while now. I believe VW went back to a belt on the 1.4. When reading about its features, it does seem complicated. Hopefully it lasts!

I've contacted a few tuning companies to see when tunes will be released. It looks like Revo has one ready to go, unitronic is working on one, and APR might be working on one. We'll see what happens.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah,I'd like to know if it's belt or chain and what interval. The owners manual mentions all the engines except for the 1.4 by itself,it mentions the motor for the hybrid Jetta,but not sure if it's the same exact one without the hybrid. I bought an extended warranty till 125k,so any mods will have to wait a few years;)....