Milwaukee, WI area TDI GTG, Nov 7. RocketChip scheduled to attend.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
Greetings fellow TDI'ers.

I'm starting this post to see if there is any interest in a GTG in the Milwaukee area. I belong to the West Allis Auto Club, a unique car club, in that we have shop where members can bring their vehicles in to work on them. In the past we have opened the club facilities to non-members when special events have taken place in the Milwaukee area (Goodguy's car show and the Hot Rod Power Tour.) I'm currently in the process of getting permission from the Board to host this GTG. We limit the number of members to 125 each membership year, and I’m currently aware of three other club members that currently own TDI’s.

I have contacted Jeff from Rocketchip, and the first date he currently has open is Nov 1, so that is the date I’m shooting for. We would need 10 people (new tunes) committed to make it worth while for Jeff to make the trip. (Well, 9 really, I'm first in line :D.)

Just a couple simple guidelines:
  • No alcohol allowed on premises
  • Everyone attending would need to sign a liability waiver
  • We would ask that you bring a bag of groceries OR give a $10 donation. These proceeds will then be donated to the local food pantry in West Allis.
Please post a reply if you would be interested in attending and I’ll firm things up and provide more details if there is enough interest.

**UPDATE**:
Please see Milwaukee, WI GTG, Saturday, Nov. 7th, 2009 Wiki page for event details and to place your name on the RocketChip list.

Last edited:

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I would be interested. A couple of questions, though. How is the food and drink being done? Can people attending bring something to share with the other attendees? If so, can you have beer for soaking the brats in or is that not allowed? Also, since I'm assuming this is likely a working GTG, what tools are available? Depending on how things turn out, I may put off changing my differential lube until this GTG, if it comes off.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
Food would be bring your own and sharing is encouraged :). We do have a couple grills at the Club that would be available for use. We even have a range/oven, but since the oven portion is used for powder coating parts, I don't know if you want to bake anything in it. There is a soda vending machine but people would be welcome to bring their own if they like, (actually I was thinking about getting a keg of Sprecher Root Beer if this happens.) Beer for soaking brats would be acceptable as long as you bring sour kraut to go along with those brats :rolleyes:.

Yes, this would be a working AND social GTG. As for tools, like most GTG's, whatever you can bring of your own the better. The club is heated if the weather is cold (which is probably will be by Nov 1.), equipped with two hoists (one drive-on type, one two post type.), plenty of compressed air, parts cleaner, hyd press, oxy/act torch, MIG and stick welders, sand blasting cabinet, spray booth, large (walk-in) powder coating oven, floor jacks, jack stands, impact wrenches, etc. You should plan on bringing your own hand tools (wrenches, screw drivers, etc.) The club does have containers for disposing of fluids/filters (no coolant flushes please, makes too much waste.) Since we are a not for profit organization, a small fee is charged for items that use consumables (torch $2/5 min, welder $3/5 min, sand blaster $1/30 min, $1 fluid/filter disposal, etc.) We do have many odd tools, (pulley pullers, ring compressors, timing lights, etc.), if you need something specific, ask and I'll let you know. I will warn you though, most of our stuff is for domestic and 'classic' (some call them klunker) vehicles. We do have an OBD 1&2 scan tool, but no VAG-COM.

For what it's worth, I should have the necessary socket for doing a manual trans fluid change.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I wont need anything done to my car but I will certainly try to attend. I work Sundays so I will keep it in mind. What hours were you thinking?

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
6x6man said:
For what it's worth, I should have the necessary socket for doing a manual trans fluid change.
Actually, this is the differential on an AUTOMATIC transmission that I would be changing the lube in, so I would more likely need a wrench rather than a socket. Which reminds me. Is there anything on site for sucking out the old lube or would I need to borrow a mityvac from someone?

I can do sauerkraut for the brats. You want plain or Bavarian style?

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
This GTG would be great. And since I live near by I can help as needed for pre-cleanup/setup and post-cleanup, just send me a PM.

The 10 spots for tunes and upgrades should fill up without issue. As that in past GTG with Jeff/ RC, list grows to over 20 requests. A reminder, those looking to get tunes need to have their engines in very good to great shape, so to minimize Jeff's time trouble shooting. This will give more tuning time, to get everyone tuned before the cows come home.

lovemybug said:
Actually, this is the differential on an AUTOMATIC transmission that I would be changing the lube in, so I would more likely need a wrench rather than a socket. Which reminds me. Is there anything on site for sucking out the old lube or would I need to borrow a mityvac from someone?
I could bring my pela 6000. Do you know what size wrench?

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
mctdi said:
I could bring my pela 6000. Do you know what size wrench?
Not off the top of my head, but I'm going to dig into the research and make a huge effort to find out.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
TT71 said:
I wont need anything done to my car but I will certainly try to attend. I work Sundays so I will keep it in mind. What hours were you thinking?
For hours I was thinking 8am to 8pm. I'm flexible to what works with Jeff's schedule.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
lovemybug said:

I can do sauerkraut for the brats. You want plain or Bavarian style?
I have a couple sets of metric wrenches so I probably have the one you need, but let me know what size and I will make sure.

We do have a suction gun that is the size of a grease gun, the viscosity of the fluid impacts how well it works though. The club has a hand held Mityvac, (and I also have one of my own), but no Mityvac fluid evacuation unit, sorry.

Personally I prefer plain kraut over Bavarian but will eat either.

Last edited:

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I might have to do some begging to get the day off but I will definitely keep this in mind.

redbrick1

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI
Ack!
Which to choose? Go to Green Bay to watch Favre return to Lambeau
or have fun learning about my car??

Achy

TDI
'09 Jetta TDI
i would love to come and learn more about the car. Especially, what Rocketship could do with an '09. But I have Packer tickets so I will have to wait until the next one.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
HELL YES! I've been saving my pennies, and now it's time to get Jeff to work his magic on my Golf.

Tuning list:
01. 6x6man
02. scurvy
03 - 10. Your name here SO SIGN UP DANGIT

No alcohol is kinda rough - few things go better after wrenching on the car than a cold brew. Somehow, I will survive. ;)

I can bring my mityvac 7.4 liter extractor, the usual assortment of tools, VCDS and some know-how. Everything's running great with the Golf (touch wood) but I've done quite a bit of work on both it and the NB so can assist in most maintenance.

If somebody will bring a Motive, perhaps we could set up the brake fluid flush conga line originally planned for DGD's.

scurvy

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
redbrick1 said:
Ack!
Which to choose? Go to Green Bay to watch Favre return to Lambeau
or have fun learning about my car??
Oh my that is not a game you want to miss. I sure hope Favre doesn't get trampled to much. We do need to shut the purple nation down! :cool:

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry about the date conflict with the Packer/Viking game. I'm more of a car nut than a sports nut so the thought of this big game didn't even come to mind.

If it helps, we do have an office that has a TV with Dish service.

toddschwantes

TDI
Passat Sedan, 2005, Black
I'd be willing to drive down (I live north of Green Bay) for RC1!:) What is the cost of RC1? Since I've already spent a few thousand replacing the chain-drive balance shaft, what's a few hunded more.:rolleyes:

Guz15

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Well, since I dont have tickets to the game, I think i should be able to make it. Although I would love to see the Packer defense GET IN FAVRE'S A$$ ALL DAY LONG.

I dont think I'll be needing any more maintenance this summer except for an oil change in a few thousand miles. The only other thing on my wish list for this year was an RC3 tune.:D So put me down on the list if there is one. I'll be able to help others with any regular maintenance and I also have VCDS.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
toddschwantes,

When I had Jeff perform RC1 on my '01 Jetta last summer it was just under $300, I don't know if he has changed his prices.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I just had a random thought. Maybe we can get Gary (dieselgrandad) to come down here from Fondy for this, depending on his schedule. Has anyone else heard how his father-in-law is doing?

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
6x6man said:
toddschwantes,

When I had Jeff perform RC1 on my '01 Jetta last summer it was just under $300, I don't know if he has changed his prices.
I think a PD is a bit more. I remember hearing a PD RC2 was like $350.00 to 390.00. Maybe Jeff will give us an idea.

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
I'm likely in. I'm gonna try again to get chipped if you can get Jeff there. I'm also due for a brake flush so I'm in for that as well. I have a jack, stands, tools, etc. No motive yet though.

I'm not very far away either, so if help is needed to setup or whatever, let me know.

Bob

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
OK, kids, here's how it works. If'n you want to get chipped, you need to indicate your firm intentions thusly:

Tuning list:
01. 6x6man
02. scurvy
03. toddschwantes
04. bf1967
05. Rucks

You'll notice the blanks in 06 - 10. That is where the other five of y'all what want to be chipped put your names in your post to indicate your firm desire to be chipped.

WE'RE HALFWAY THERE, FOLKS. SIGN UP FOR ROCKETCHIP!

Note, please don't put your name on this list then don't show up or back out at the last minute. You've got 2 months to put the dough together, so make it happen!

classicgameswi

TDI
Corrado TDI (WIP), 01 Jetta TDI (RIP)
I'd come, hopefully my TDI Corrado will be driving by then, otherwise, all I have are gas VW's :-( but I am not in need of a tune at this point.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
Status Update / Clarification On Date

Good news, Bad news:

Ok, good news first, the Club Board and membership approved my request to use the Club facility to host this event :D.

Bad news (well, maybe not bad) is that I thought Nov 1st was a Saturday, when in actuality it is a Sunday :eek:. (My bad, I guess I should have looked at the calendar closer.) Anyway, Sunday, Nov 1st still works for me, but I will have to get in touch with Jeff from RocketChip and confirm that date works for him. When I originally spoke with Jeff, he said that his earliest opening was "the first weekend in Nov." So I have to confirm with Jeff that he will be able to make it to Milwaukee, WI on SUNDAY, Nov 1st. :confused: I will keep everyone updated via this thread.

To address other posts:
All VW's will be welcome, gas or diesel. Actually our current club president has a VW dune buggy that he might bring down (depends on weather and schedule.) One that note, we also have a few members that have diesel pickups (several Ford's, one Dodge) that might be present to check out our diesel rides.

Once I get the date confirmed with Jeff, I was going to contact Gary (dieselgrandad) and personally invite him. His Fond Du Lac GTG last summer was my inspiration to put this GTG together :).

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
6x6man - thanks for getting this coordinated for us, it's appreciated that you're willing to vouch for us with your auto club. We'll do our best to insure we don't get you kicked out of the club :D. Either the 31st or 1st will work for me (though I think the gf's parents will be in town that weekend so I may not be able to do a 20 hour stint like at DGD's :) ). I assume once things get firmed up you'll disclose more details like location, times, etc?

scurvy said:
OK, kids, here's how it works. If'n you want to get chipped, you need to indicate your firm intentions thusly:

Tuning list:
01. 6x6man
02. scurvy
03. toddschwantes
04. bf1967
05. Rucks
11. Fix Until Broke - Re-tune

You'll notice the blanks in 06 - 10. That is where the other five of y'all what want to be chipped put your names in your post to indicate your firm desire to be chipped.

WE'RE HALFWAY THERE, FOLKS. SIGN UP FOR ROCKETCHIP!

Note, please don't put your name on this list then don't show up or back out at the last minute. You've got 2 months to put the dough together, so make it happen!

Re-tunes go after new tunes/customers so I put my name in at 11. When we get more than 10 new tunes, just keep pushing me down the list...

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, once things get firmed up, I will put together a Wiki page with details. I sent Jeff (Rocketchip) an email but have not received a reply yet. I will try giving him a call Sunday.

The name of the club is the West Allis Auto Club, (very limited info about the club is available at www.westallisautoclub.com) As for the hours I was thinking 8am - 8pm.

Sooch

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
scurvy said:
Tuning list:
01. 6x6man
02. scurvy
03. toddschwantes
04. bf1967
05. Rucks
11. Fix Until Broke - Re-tune
12. Sooch - Re-tune plus new tune on separate ECU

If Jeff is going to be there, I will be too. I am hoping he will do this GTG or ON's or both.