TDi + 4-motion

jettavr6guy

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
Please forgive this newbie question -

WHY has VW not seen fit to offer a TDi Jetta / Passat with 4Motion in the states??!!

With the popularity of Subie Outbacks in the Northeast, I would think that a Passat TDi 4Motion would be a BIG seller for VW in the Midwest and Northeast.

Actually, I intended to ask VW directly, but I thought I'd pass this one on to you guys as I am seriously considering trading in my beloved VR6 Jetta for a TDi (Jetta or Passat - previous generation though because I don't like the newer body styles as much.....)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Have you looked at the cost of a powertrain certification recently?

Welcome aboard!

jettavr6guy

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
Thanks for endulging me so quickly!

No, I have not.

I assume that the beancounters have determined then that sales would not justify the cost.....

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm sure that's part of the rationale. I suspect overall production constraints make it more unlikely. Dealers are crying out for TDIs right now, any TDI. I think this morning's NPR report suggest that TDIs account for 35% of some model lines being sold in the USA this year. That's pretty big.

jettavr6guy

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
Yes - I just saw an '04 Passat GLS TDi advertised on Autotrader for ~$13K. When I expressed interest in it, the dealer informed me that it was sold.

As an aside - do you feel that the 2.0L Passat TDi engine is as superior to the 1.9L Jetta TDi engine as the specs lead one to believe? The Passat is a heavier burden - as such, the mileage figures ARE better for the Jetta.....
Your thoughts?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
jettavr6guy said:
As an aside - do you feel that the 2.0L Passat TDi engine is as superior to the 1.9L Jetta TDi engine as the specs lead one to believe?
The ONLY used B5.5 Passat diesel I'd consider is one with a full written service history and the mandatory BS + GP upgrades. The cars are ticking time bombs without those issues addressed.

I'd never buy "just any" used Passat diesel...far too many potential issues.

jettavr6guy

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
Thanks for the advice.

I had read that some had issues with them (MSN Carpoint) - but the overwhelming majority were very happy with the car...

Of course, I would defer to your experience and knowledge as a TDi member....

jettavr6guy

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
dieseldorf said:
The ONLY used B5.5 Passat diesel I'd consider is one with a full written service history and the mandatory BS + GP upgrades. The cars are ticking time bombs without those issues addressed.

I'd never buy "just any" used Passat diesel...far too many potential issues.
I assume the B5.5 is the previous gen Passat TDi, right?

Also, please endulge - BS + GP upgrades????
Thanks!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
jettavr6guy said:
I assume the B5.5 is the previous gen Passat TDi, right?

Well, I consider it the most recent generation as there haven't been any Passat diesels sold in NAmerica since 2005MY.

Also, please endulge - BS + GP upgrades????
Thanks!
BS = balance shaft upgrade

GP = ceramic to steel glow plug conversion.

Historical re-cap:

Passat diesels have been sold in the USA in 1996 and 1997 model years, 5 spd only :) Car was known as the B4. Passat diesels returned to the USA in 2004 and 2005MYs. They are B5.5 generation cars. Automatic only :(

My bill is in the mail :)

jettavr6guy

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
Thanks for being a "white knight" for this newbie and saving me some archive legwork :)

I guess I'll focus on the Jetta TDi; too bad since the Passat is roomier. I like the Jetta body style better anyway.... :)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Passat is somewhat of a unique machine. See if you can find one here for sale by a forum member where all the work has been completed...

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
dieseldorf said:
See if you can find one here for sale by a forum member where all the work has been completed...
If the work were completed, it wouldn't be for sale ;).

OTOH, If you can find one cheap that has confirmed oil history, and you can budget the upgrades along with the purchase price.......:D

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
KALaBenne said:
If the work were completed, it wouldn't be for sale ;).

OTOH, If you can find one cheap that has confirmed oil history, and you can budget the upgrades along with the purchase price.......:D
Yeah and once those updates are done, I personally feel the car is better than new! :D

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
dieseldorf said:
Have you looked at the cost of a powertrain certification recently?
EPA certification for a class of drivetrain/engine combination starts at 100K for a blanket certification or 1000 per vehicle IIRC and this is just to obtain the certificate of conformity not the cost of bringing the drivetrain to compliance.
Crash certifications start at about 2 million plus the cost of the prototypes crash tested and the modifications required for compliance.

An if you think all of this is in the name of saftey or emissions think again.
USA vehicle specifications are designed to primarly protect insurance companies, US auto manufacturers, and oil companies interests.