Actual Size / measurement of g60 flywheel

mikkeld20

TDI
Mk4 Golf PD100, Mk2 Golf VE
Hey everyone who might be reading this :)
Looking to do the SMF conversion with a 037105273C kind flywheel and VR6 Clutch, as a result of a badly slipping current clutch/DMF combo.
Now, i was fortunate enough to get one hell of an offer on a brand new Sachs SMF, the only problem is that i only have the sellers word that it actually fits and i don't want to drop my trans to find out it doesn't.
So, do any of you have the actual measurements of the required flywheel, so i can measure the Sachs unit?
No numbers to speak of written on it, only DSD 02JB, doesn't show anything on google, prob Sachs specific number...

Car in question is a 2003 Mk4 Golf PD100 ATD 5spd

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The bolt pattern where it mates to the end of the crankshaft appears to be correct.

The face should be 228mm from near the outer edge to outer edge.

The G60 will fit the 2002 ALH engine in my Vanagon ... the same DMF (LUK or SACHS) will fit the ALH as well as the 2004 PD engine. So, if it is in fact a G60 Flywheel, it will fit your engine and tranny.

Below, is a pic of the G60 SMF that I installed on the ALH engine in my Vanagon... later replaced with a DMF. Feel quite certain the measurement shown is from the center of the flywheel........ hope this helps! (from my photo gallery to you)

mikkeld20

TDI
Thanks!

So all other measurements aside, as long as it's 228mm it will fit?
Is there only one type of 228mm flywheel, what about height, outer diameter, starter gear teeth number?

mikkeld20

TDI
I was already settled on the VR6 clutch, but didn't know about the Clearance tool, thanks for that.

More interested in getting some measurements on the "g60" flywheel :)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The circumference of the G60 is exactly the same as the DMF. Depth of the outer part is where there is some difference which will not affect function. The depth from the face to the back side where it bolts to the crankshaft is the same on all three flywheels. It is also the same diameter as the OE flywheel for the Vanagon 1.6 Diesel........ same number of teeth. (they all have the same number of teeth).

For what it is worth, I've had all three flywheels in my Vanagon which has the Vanagon diesel bell housing mounted to the tranny. Obviously, that bell housing is different than what's on the tranny of an MK4. But, interestingly, I did have to clearance the bell housing a wee bit for G60 and smidge more for the DMF.

Point of interest, if and when you do obtain the G60, note where the TDC mark is on both flywheels. If the G60 doesn't have mark in the same spot, you will need to make one. But, I doubt this will be the case.