2012 Jetta TDI vs 2012 Passat TDI

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
No gas. Fuel economy, please. I saw the Passat at the Detroit Auto show: It actually posts a higher highway MPG than the Jetta, probably because it uses urea injection instead of the Jetta's more complex, but urea-free, emissions system. However, I'd expect overall MPG would be slightly lower since it's a larger, heavier car. The Passat has several features that have been left out of the Jetta by VW's cost cutting efforts:

- Independent rear suspension
- Electric power steering
- A real fuel gauge and a temperature gauge
- Soft-touch interior plastic

The Passat appears (to me, anyway) to be nicer car than the Jetta, less of a feel of being built to a price. And although pricing isn't final yet, I suspect the Passat will cost 4-7K more than the Jetta. Both are available with 6-speed manual and DSG transmissions.

If I were looking for a TDI sedan I'd get the Passat, no contest. I'm unfortunately one of the many people who wish they'd make a wagon for this market.

tkegumby

TDI
looking to buy
It actually posts a higher highway MPG than the Jetta, probably because it uses urea injection instead of the Jetta's more complex, but urea-free, emissions system.
VW probably will still have the complex emissions system with the addition of urea on the Passat & the urea ain't cheap.

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
It is a crying shame that VAG won't send us the BlueMotion Passat - 1.6 TDI (105 hp).

Apparently delivering world-class fuel economy in a family-sized car to the American market isn't THAT important <eyes_roll>

moosemaster

TDI
2009 jetta
I drove one last wednesday night in Milwaukee. The sticker said 40 mpg for the highway.
It was an automatic, so it was hard to compare against my manual jetta tdi. I was impressed with the fit and finish and the roominess of the cabin. It will be on my short list when I get a new car next year.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
No gas. Fuel economy, please. I saw the Passat at the Detroit Auto show: It actually posts a higher highway MPG than the Jetta, probably because it uses urea injection instead of the Jetta's more complex, but urea-free, emissions system. However, I'd expect overall MPG would be slightly lower since it's a larger, heavier car. The Passat has several features that have been left out of the Jetta by VW's cost cutting efforts:

- Independent rear suspension
- Electric power steering
- A real fuel gauge and a temperature gauge
- Soft-touch interior plastic

The Passat appears (to me, anyway) to be nicer car than the Jetta, less of a feel of being built to a price. And although pricing isn't final yet, I suspect the Passat will cost 4-7K more than the Jetta. Both are available with 6-speed manual and DSG transmissions.

If I were looking for a TDI sedan I'd get the Passat, no contest. I'm unfortunately one of the many people who wish they'd make a wagon for this market.
My tdi has electric power steering

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You're right. This post is six months old, when it wasn't clear whether the TDIs would get electric steering or not. Jetta still doesn't have the other items.

BTW, I saw a '12 GLI at Waterfest a week ago. Very nice interior, soft touch fabrics, real gauges. And it has IRS. Too bad they didn't build the diesel like that.

V10TDI

TDI
2008 VW TOUAREG V10
You're right. This post is six months old, when it wasn't clear whether the TDIs would get electric steering or not. Jetta still doesn't have the other items.

BTW, I saw a '12 GLI at Waterfest a week ago. Very nice interior, soft touch fabrics, real gauges. And it has IRS. Too bad they didn't build the diesel like that.
So, is it just the jetta sedan without IRS or does the sportwagen also NOT have independent rear suspension?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Sportwagen and Golf have IRS. Jetta sedan has a beam axle. Not even semi-independent like MKIV and earlier cars.

wonover

TDI
2012 passat
Hi there

Bought my 2012 Passat TDI Sept 30/2011
Of course it came with a full tank and I have just refuelled twice in 30 days and have driven over 1500 km

Best on highway was 5.3 l/100 (about 54 miles/gal)
In town 7.3 l/100 ( about 39 miles/gal)

Canadian units for measurements

I love this car!

WFL

TDI
2012 TDI Passat DSG Grey Comfortline
Have just traded my 2009 TDI Jetta wagon (m 6-spd) on a 2012 Passat TDI DSG. I currently have 2300 KM on it and with mostly highway miles, it is getting quite abit better mileage than the 2009. My average right now is about 5.3 litres/100 KM or 53MPG Imp or 44PG US. This car is even better in all ways than I had hoped for.

stevewitt1

TDI
ready to order new
Wow, a few hours of reading posts and I'm still confused. I'm ready to order a new TDI but trying to decide the model. First I waited for the new Jetta, then the Passat. Now I don't mind the blue exhaust injection by itself but I wonder what other potential maintenance issues, if any, the rest of the exhaust system component may have. Then a post said while the Passat has the injection, the Jetta has a more complex emissions system so does that equate to more maintaining things moving forward. Price is a consideration but I don't want to be penny wise and dollar foolish. Having rolled over the ripe old age of 60 I want this car to carry my far in the future. The Passat does seem much better appointed than the Jetta but they are both nice cars.

Any help and suggestions appreciated!
Steve
Visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.info and www.warbirdsix.com

VWs of past 1978 Rabbit 4-dr diesel 57.6mpg 92 Passat 4cyl gasser

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If the money isn't an issue, I'd go for the Passat. More space, better driveability because of the urea, IRS, full instrumentation. It is bigger, which may be a plus or a minus for you. And you may have to wait longer for a Passat.

cment

TDI
2012 Passat TDI Comfortline DSG in White
Passat mileage

Using Canadian numbers, and in winter driving with my studded winter tires I've seen 5.0 l/100k or 58mpg with 10,000 on it so far mostly highway. That is on my 2012 Passat TDI with DSG. I can't wait to see what happens when it is broken it, in the summer, with summer tires and rims on!

Lovin' it, and lovin' that tourque!

Urea wasn't an issue as at my 10k service, it took 5 liters, and so it will be a non factor.
Twice the car, with little of the decontenting of the jetta. No regrets!

TomD99

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG Premium w/Nav
Hello,
Just picked up my first VW with my first diesel, a 2012 Jetta TDI DSG with premium & navigation. Black on black; looks sweet! After 2400 miles MPG averages are 42 -44. Factors that led to this purchase were fuel economy, TDI durability / reputation, safety, and trunk space. I travel for work and get reimbursed 55.5 cents a mile; so far so good!

I need someone to enlighten me regarding the comments posted regarding the IRS vs. beam axle. I have had two Saab 9000 Aeros ($40K in 1997 dollars) and my wife drives a 2006 Acura TL ($37K) and these vehicles do not have IRS. These vehicles handle like they are on rails and cost significantly more the loaded 2012 Jetta TDI ($27K out the door). In my experience the IRS does not add anything to the handling, but perhaps the ride. I had a 1984 BMW 528e that was IRS and do not recall any real difference, but it was long ago.

Tom

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
The mark IVs didn't have true IRS either, the axle flexed to allow some independant movement. Not a BIG deal IMHO on most roads, but on choppy corners or broken, rough pavement the IRS has an advantage.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
personally i cant tell any difference between my old mk4 and my mk6 jetta, altho my mk6 seems more stable in corners maybe due to the extra width...2 of my close buddies have mk5 tdis and i still dont see much difference between them in my mk6 ride wise. I like the beam its lower cost maintance and even with a double sled trailer and 2 sleds it hardly squats vs my mk4 with one sled and trailer it sagged more