Function of plastic part in door

BeetleDragon737

TDI
'99.0 New Beetle
Hello all,

I somewhat recently decided to replace the window regulator in the driver's side door of my 1999 New Beetle. During the process of disassembling the door, I came across this part (circled in red):

I had to punch out two plastic bits in order to get it off, and I could see no simple way to put it back on. It also seemed to do absolutely nothing. So I threw it into the trash. My question is, was this a bad idea? I've been having some issues with the door latch/lock assembly recently, and I'm wondering if this had anything to do with it. Bentley describes the part as a "door lock securing clip" or "door lock retaining bracket". Does anyone know if this is an important part at all, or if it possibly protects the assembly from the elements?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I believe this is exactly what it says it is.
It secures the door lock to the door.

Why did you remove it?
Why do you think VW would put anything on the car that would do nothing?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Alchemist has it correct. It makes assembly easier, as long as you know the entire procedure well before you start.

If you've already destroyed the rivets, then you can make it all work without them, you'll just need about 2 more hands, as so many procedures do with cars (of any type).

Anyway, I've done my own a few times, because I did exactly what you did, so it is possible. No substantial harm done.

And for you, eddie, why does VW put those stupid phillips head screws in the brake rotors? When they rust, they cause owners and car mechanics headaches when trying to remove old rotors at some later point in the car's life. They don't do anything for you except cause headaches, so why does VW do it? For assembly in the factory, that's why. They keep the rotors in place while the car is moving down the assembly line.

Cheers,

PH

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Hello all,
I somewhat recently decided to replace the window regulator in the driver's side door of my 1999 New Beetle. During the process of disassembling the door, I came across this part (circled in red):

I had to punch out two plastic bits in order to get it off, and I could see no simple way to put it back on. It also seemed to do absolutely nothing. So I threw it into the trash. My question is, was this a bad idea? I've been having some issues with the door latch/lock assembly recently, and I'm wondering if this had anything to do with it. Bentley describes the part as a "door lock securing clip" or "door lock retaining bracket". Does anyone know if this is an important part at all, or if it possibly protects the assembly from the elements?
Hey bro, guess what, I also live in Hagerstown MD, i could come over ant take a look? What parts are you in, im right off the other side of 70 on the dual highway. PM me

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
And for you, eddie, why does VW put those stupid phillips head screws in the brake rotors? When they rust, they cause owners and car mechanics headaches when trying to remove old rotors at some later point in the car's life.
Yet another reason to not live in the rust belt.

BeetleDragon737

TDI
'99.0 New Beetle
Lots of those come in broken or missing and everything is fine.
It holds the door latch, window regulator and inner panel together for easier factory assembly.
Alright, then it seems like this missing part isn't the cause of my latch/lock assembly issues. Thanks guys.

Also, I don't think VW puts things in the car that are totally useless, but may only be useful under certain circumstances. For example, I doubt throwing away the flower vase will cause many people issues with their Beetle. I tossed it because I could identify no advantage to leaving it in there, and I couldn't see a simple way to reattach it.