www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > New Beetle TDI Picture Gallery

New Beetle TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a New Beetle TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old November 29th, 2016, 13:15   #1
WooshyNoises

Fuel Economy: Pretty much the same as my '73 Super Beetle
Default Cesar the Valentine Beetle: A Build Thread

An Innocuous Beginning
It was Valentines Day, 2015, and my other half did what any sensible woman would do on such a day: She bought her man a non-running 2000 New Beetle TDI.
The Craigslist listing advertised “New turbo still in the box!” What I discovered was a Prothe cartridge in a beat up, moldy box, and the original turbo in pieces and covered in rust. I quickly lost any motivation I’d had to put the car together and run it as-is. However, with the knowledge that the previous owner had already installed a South Bend Stage 2 clutch and other sundry modifications, I couldn’t just abandon the poor little car altogether.
Plus, it was just so damn good-looking!
And so, Cesar the Valentine Beetle waited patiently for almost a year, as I directed my attention to my girlfriend’s 2001 TDI Beetle, our ‘67 Ford Country Squire, and my ‘67 and ‘73 aircooled Beetles.

Last edited by WooshyNoises; June 10th, 2017 at 19:00.
WooshyNoises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 13:46   #2
WooshyNoises

Default Time to Get Serious

Time to Get Serious
After much deliberation, research, and advice from guys much smarter and wiser than myself, I decided to build the car for as aggressive a Stage 4 as Mark Malone was willing to tune, with an eye for Stage 5 when time and expenses allow. With snow on the ground, I decided to tow Cesar to the back yard where I could get to work away from neighbor’s prying eyes.

First order of business: a new Garrett VNT17. A hybrid or GTB turbo was outside of my budget at the time, but is in the cards for the future.

Next, Bosio Fratelli Race 520’s, set up by DBW.

Then, a timing belt kit, and lastly, an 11mm pump from a Jetta parts car my girlfriend picked up for $500. This picture shows the janky homemade race pipe the car came with, which I replaced with a Buzzken unit.

Last edited by WooshyNoises; September 29th, 2017 at 05:59.
Old December 5th, 2016, 08:04   #3
WooshyNoises

Out with the old, In with the New

With the car in running, if not road-ready condition, I turned my focus to the nasty biohazard of an interior.

I started by removing the seats, which revealed standing water.

Completely stripped!

With the mold gone, I bolted in a set of Recaros from a Turbo S. They’re not perfect, but it’s a vast improvement! Eventually, a new carpet, door panels, and back seat will follow, but for now, Cesar is in "weight reduction" mode.

Last edited by WooshyNoises; June 10th, 2017 at 18:39.
Old December 5th, 2016, 08:34   #4
WooshyNoises

Suspension Time

Going fast is pointless if your stock suspension wants to pitch you in the opposite direction.

First order of business was a set of FK Streetline coilovers, which were on sale for almost half price from eurocollective.com.

Next were some Powerflex polyurethane strut bushings and poly LCA bushings from Energy Suspension. I unfortunately forgot to take pictures during the install process. The coilovers were a cakewalk, but the LCA bushings were a pain in the ass.

Last edited by WooshyNoises; December 5th, 2016 at 10:40.
Old December 5th, 2016, 10:40   #5
WooshyNoises

Bath Time
Cleaning off years of grime!

Old December 5th, 2016, 11:00   #6
WooshyNoises

With the suspension installed and the car semi-presentable, I threw on a set of 17" Take 5's I had laying around, and dropped the car off at the alignment shop.

Once aligned, I took the car for a blast on some local back roads. I was impressed by its ability to act civilized and stock-like at low throttle, then blow the tires off on demand. The suspension is firm but doesn't crash over bumps like the Konis in my other TDI Beetle, and the steering very responsive. There's still a little more body roll and understeer than I like. Thankfully I scored a 28mm Neuspeed rear sway bar for $30 at a swap meet, so once installed, that should dial in the handling to my standards.

Last edited by WooshyNoises; June 10th, 2017 at 18:43.
Old December 5th, 2016, 11:31   #7
MattRabbit
Veteran Member

Woah, that interior! Bleh! I hope you wore a mask and full scrubs when cleaning that thing. What happened? Did a door seal fail or something? Sunroof drains plugged for the last decade? Eeew!

the bug is shaping up nice, though! Under all the grime, it looks to be in great shape!
MattRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 13:00   #8
WooshyNoises

I'm pretty sure it's the sunroof drains. I've cleaned them once, but water still magically appears in the floorboard every time it rains, so I'm guessing there's a split or something.
Old December 5th, 2016, 13:27   #9
WooshyNoises

Dressing Up

In early spring of 2016, my girlfriend's VW mentor, Corky Yager of Sunray Bugs fame, passed away. Corky was very proud of his Herbie tribute car, which reflected his own warped sense of humor. My girlfriend decided to borrow my car and honor Corky's memory by making it a temporary tribute to his Herbie car.

Here is what the original tribute car looks like today:

We started by making some vinyl decals at my work:

Then we(she) started taping and masking off the lines:

The stripes were sprayed with plastidip and the vinyl carefully applied. The final result, while not my personal cup of tea, came out damn good! Besides, it was for a good cause. I also changed the Take 5's to a set of Santa Monica wheels with larger tires, for a more aggressive stance and better ride. Finally, my wonderful girlfriend bought me a set of NOS smoked turn signals and some very cool stock headlights with blacked out housings.

We drove the car for about six weeks in this guise. We drove it 900 miles round trip to Florida to visit Corky's family there, then 1100 miles round trip to Effingham, Illinois to visit his family there. The car performed flawlessly!

Last edited by WooshyNoises; June 10th, 2017 at 18:43.
Old December 5th, 2016, 14:11   #10
WooshyNoises

Time to Address Some Issues
At this point, the "costume" came off and Cesar got a nice buff job by a friend.

I was reasonably happy with the way the car looked and the car was proving quite reliable, but there were a few things I wasn't happy with: smoke level, fuel economy, and responsiveness. I fully expected there to be smoke from R520's and a VNT17, but I was starting to feel like a bit of an a-hole because I was rolling coal at anything over 1/3 throttle. As a result, fuel economy was a consistent 38mpg on the highway, and a dismal 32 around town. Furthermore, after some pulls against an E39 540i on the straights outside of town, I realized that my car seemed to run out of breath fairly quickly, like a marathon runner breathing through a straw on a hot day. The stock intercooler and piping clearly wasn't cutting it.

My first thought was to use an upgraded SMIC. It is noticeably more voluminous than stock, but I quickly discovered that the outlet is all wrong for a Beetle, and the mounting will not clear that sensuous curve of the bumper.

The obvious solution: FMIC!

(Next time: Things Get Interesting.)

Last edited by WooshyNoises; September 29th, 2017 at 06:02.
Old December 5th, 2016, 18:23   #11
csstevej
Veteran Member

Check the inner door that's bolted to the main door ( the one the window regulator is bolted to) the sticky rope that seals that panel to the main Door is probably your water culprit.
I ve had it happen to three of my cars, two of them don't have sunroofs.
It leaks into the door card then over the door seal onto the carpet. Just my .o2
Nice build so far, looks great!
Old December 6th, 2016, 11:43   #12
WooshyNoises

Thanks for that, I'll check it out. I'm converting the car to manual windows in the near future, so I'll inspect the inner panel seal then! If that is the root of the problem, what would you recommend to waterproof it?
Old December 6th, 2016, 13:16   #13
WooshyNoises

Default Things Get Interesting

Things Get Interesting
After months of research, I finally decided to pull the trigger on the FMIC project. I started with a used intercooler, which a local kid pulled off his Audi. It came with a box full of piping, none of which I used. Someday I may use it to make an OMI.

The fins were pretty mangled, so I spent a week of lunches painstakingly straightening them one by one.

Next, I ordered a universal 2" piping kit from Ebay.

My car isn't particularly low, and never will be (although it will be lower than it is right now!) but I found that mounting the IC to the bottom of the crash bar set it much too close to the ground. The crash bar is just a C-channel, so I pulled it off and cut a portion of the lower lip away so I could mount the intercooler to the top lip. The result is a nice, clean install that doesn't look tacked on, and it won't be catching on speed bumps! This picture shows how it mounts:

And from the front:

Next came the tricky part: Running the upper pipes through the engine compartment! I had my friend Aleks weld a MAP sensor bung on the elbow, and some careful rerouting of the wiring allowed the sensor to reach with no splicing required! There is barely space for a 2" tube to squeeze diagonally between the fan and the oil filter "tower," and connect with a 45 degree silicone elbow.

This ant's-eye view shows how everything routes underneath (and how dirty the underside is-- yikes!)

During this time, I also decided to fit a set of 1.8T knuckles and brakes, and a new pair of CV axles. I neglected to take pictures during this, but everyone knows what brakes look like, anyway!

Finally, I set Cesar back on all fours, bled the brakes, and took him for a faceless run around the block. The neighbors and girlfriend think I'm a wack job now, but I thought it was hilarious!

Last edited by WooshyNoises; June 10th, 2017 at 18:34.
Old December 6th, 2016, 14:05   #14
WooshyNoises

Triumphant Return

At last, I put Cesar's face back on, went back to the alignment shop, then made a triumphant return to work.

I honestly didn't quite expect a drastic improvement, but boy was I surprised! The difference is staggering. Throttle response is vastly improved, and under acceleration, the turbo sustains 24psi effortlessly. Best of all, smoke is almost non-existent until about 3/4 throttle!

Last edited by WooshyNoises; September 29th, 2017 at 06:04.
Old December 29th, 2016, 23:56   #15
Caddy 16v
Veteran Member

Great job on resurrecting the Beetle!
2000 Jetta, mufflerectomy, Evolution Atlas skid plate, OEM xenon reps retrofitted, Hella Micro DE, HFLOX Warp 3 nozzles, 3 bar map, Malone Stage 5 Custom, Euro 17/22, DC Stage 4 clutch, STAGG suspension, Curt hitch, Auber EGT and NSP boost gauge, Hella Sharptones, Rally Armor mud flaps, 1.8T pancake pipe, upgraded SMIC, VAG-COM, all offroaded out
2000 Golf, JSP Armadillo skid plate, limo tint (Sold)
Caddy 16v is offline   Reply With Quote