water on passenger side floor

lecjec

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
just picked up my 98 Jetta in Aug, hasn't rainedsince. now everytime it rains, my passenger side floor is saturated. only thing i can think is that it is somehow getting in through the area under the wipers. any idea's/suggestions?:confused:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Well the area under the wipers is certainly one possibility. That area has a drain and leaves and things can clog it resulting in leaks. That would be a good thing to check first. If you add a liter or two of water in there you should see it come out under the car.

However it can also come from a blocked A/C condensation drain, or a heater core leak or a sun roof leak (if you car has a sun roof that would be #1 on my list and it is usually caused by a blocked drain).

Note that blocked drains can usually be safely opened by finding the outlet (or inlet for the sun roof) and carefully using some string trimmer line to clean it out.

One last one is a rust problem, possibly from the trunk, but that is not likely with a car less than 10 years old.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
One other possibility is that it's leaking in through the door panel. I don't know whether it was still a problem by your model year, but in the older Jettas (1985 or so), there was an inner plastic liner on the interior of the door that could come loose. When that happened, water coming in next to the glass could run down and eventually find its way to the inside of the door and thence to the floor.