HELP! Stuck in the middle of AC Compressor RCV replacement

rotarydiesel

TDI
'01 Jetta
I've been following RCV thread for Mk IV. To replace the RCV in the AC compressor. I've got the compressor off the car and apart but i can't figure out how to remove the old RCV and reed plate. Are you supposed to remove the rollpins to disassemble? The gasket that's covering the reed plate looks like it's baked on there, are you supposed to scrape this old one? I've included pics. Thank you!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_O55ocvMFfVSjBZNDMwdi11enVQZUM5QmotZk4yUEtjNmJz/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_O55ocvMFfVc0txUElma1B6YUpDSlhHNTc5U1JlT18yZlh3/edit?usp=sharing

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
To get the gaskets up, they are usually stuck but if you get a small screwdriver under there they will "pop up".

The one I did last week one of the pins stayed in the compressor and one stayed in the plate. I didn't remove either, I just left them where they were.

you just need to put a little force on the RCV to get it out.

rotarydiesel

TDI
'01 Jetta
Thanks a bunch Richard! I just pulled the rcv put, was worried id damage the plate, but it came out without much fuss. Still working on the reed plate. Is there an extra gasket left over out of the kit? I'm seeing three in the kit but only two on the pump head.

rotarydiesel

TDI
'01 Jetta
I finally got it separated. A razor blade works well. I had to run it under the entire surface of the reed plate to get it to separate.

Bears Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Just wondering, is this a fix for an A/C that takes a few miles before it starts cooling properly?

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Is there an extra gasket left over out of the kit? I'm seeing three in the kit but only two on the pump head.
I'm assuming you didn't take the clutch off and the piece at the front of the compressor. The gasket is for the piece at the front of the compressor. To change the RCV there is no need to remove the piece so no need to use that third gasket.

I suppose if you want to be thorough you can pull it apart to inspect that half of the compressor and change that gasket, but usually I find you don't want "extra" complications.

I didn't change the gasket on the one I did last week and it fixed my customers problem.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
If you are in there I would recommend changing the reed valves as well. Mine blew up because the reeds broke and got sucked into the cylinders. Compressor was scrap.