How to get a MAF CEL?

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
I have 2 TDIs and both have good MAFs. My friend's MAF started petering out and he gave it to me.

I put it in one of my TDIs so I could get a cel. Once the cel comes on, I will take it in to get a new MAF under the new warranty sent out by VWoA.

I plugged it in and drove the car for a while but nothing happened--no smoke, no loss of power, no cel. I sprayed it with harsh chemicals, brake cleaner and now I'm trying another solvent. But each time, I still get nothing! I even double-check it with my vagcom.

The dealer has to have a code so that they can charge VWoA. How can I get a cel? Will unplugging it throw the correct cel for the dealer to say it's a bad MAF?

Thanks.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Shhh! (Looks both ways, Hmmm, coast is clear..) Yes it will. (Just because I told you does NOT mean I have given my bad MAF's to my friends to get new ones!) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
[wisper] Anyone want my dead MAF? I believe that its 100% gone. [/wisper]

I was really annoyed my that recall... our car was past the mile mark when we had it replaced /images/graemlins/frown.gif Oh well, my dad likes giving all his money to the dealer I think. He was going to have them replace a burnt out breaklight when they change the oil this week /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif If it were up to me the dealer would be doing neither. I think I managed to talk him into changing the bulb himself. He designs car parts for a living, I wouldn't think that it would be beyond his abality.

-Jason

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
[ QUOTE ]
The dealer has to have a code so that they can charge VWoA. How can I get a cel? Will unplugging it throw the correct cel for the dealer to say it's a bad MAF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
yes, just unplug it and drive until the CEL comes on.

Ive been doing this with my TDI, and have quite a MAF popper with only 9,000 miles on the car /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dzljet

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Yes, they will replace it by just unplugging it.

Any CEL is good.
(For now, I suppose VW will read this and change that soon enough.)

I'm amazed this thing won't die, then again, I believe failures occur often due to over heating and maybe it just ain't hot enough now to force issue. I have also speculated failures occur more often after extreme wet weather and this was supported by a dealer tech who I had watch for MAF failures after heavy rains, he told me in the few weeks after a good spell of wet weather it did seem like more dead MAF's came in. (Very Un-TDI club scientific methodish but it's good enough for me to think there's sumthin there.)