Engine cut out while driving, stranded.

tnteggroll

I was going to start off with HELP!! But that seems overdone. But regardless, please help. :(

Driving on the highway, doing about 120km/hr in cruise control, and my engine just died. Shut off, had to pull over. Wont start. Gives a weird noise while trying to start. Loaded it onto an ATV trailer and brought it to a mechanic who found (after a while) 3 codes, all pointing at the MAF. Is that likely? I can't see how it would just die mid-drive, especially in cruise. Any suggestions? Tips? A molatov cocktail that I can throw into my car, and claim insurance? Anything? Please? Kill me?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
When was the timing belt system last changed?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
You've gone EIGHT YEARS and how many km on that timing belt system?

tnteggroll

Shh. Don't say it like that, it sounds bad.

143km

I just read the thread on not starting, and checked the lift pump for humming, and nothing. Could this be related?

tnteggroll

I took apart the rear seat, everything is exactly the same as the diagram instructing how to check the lift pump, so i'm assuming it should be working, no?

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
The only thing in the tank is a fuel level sender and a pickup with a screen on it.

tnteggroll

Yeah, I hear that a lot, about the timing. However, I really feel it's fuel related. I will deal with the timing after I get home, if I get home.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
tnteggroll said:
Yeah, I hear that a lot, about the timing. However, I really feel it's fuel related. I will deal with the timing after I get home, if I get home.
The timing cover just clips on there. It wouldn't take too long to unclip the top and pull it back a little while someone cranks it...just to check if the cam is spinning.

tnteggroll

Not a bad idea actually, at least it'll give me a little insight if im a little f'kd, or completely.

tnteggroll

Yeeeeaaaah... Unclipped the timing belt cover, the belt is broken, well, limp. Any hope my valves/pistons are okay, and I can just redo the timing belt?

tnteggroll

Ha. Yep. Completely broke. Kind of funny, really. Other than being stranded in Kelowna. (This is for Eric, who told me 100 times to replace it. And my "Nah, it's fine, I'll do it later" ....Told you I'm an idiot!)

Going to replace the timing, and hope the engine is okay....

jimmybling31

Veteran Member
TDI
01white jetta
tnteggroll said:
Yeeeeaaaah... Unclipped the timing belt cover, the belt is broken, well, limp. Any hope my valves/pistons are okay, and I can just redo the timing belt?
no hope at all. there is not a single point where it could break and not ruin at least one or two valves. mine ruined 7 and I replaced all 8 and got a good valve job at the same time.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
tnteggroll said:
Ha. Yep. Completely broke. Kind of funny, really. Other than being stranded in Kelowna. (This is for Eric, who told me 100 times to replace it. And my "Nah, it's fine, I'll do it later" ....Told you I'm an idiot!)

Going to replace the timing, and hope the engine is okay....
Time to contact Frank Irving, username Franko6. He rebuilds cylinder heads, all new parts, your engine will be as good as new. He also sells deluxe timing belt kits, so all the hardware you need can be shipped to you in a single package.

Do not try to cheap out on a rebuilt head. Do not replace just the parts with obvious impact marks, or else you will be doing the entire process over again after a few thousand miles.

A good general mechanic, preferably one with diesel engine experience, can remove your old cylinder had and install the rebuilt one (your or one that Frank has in stock). But it will take a TDI expert, with the right tools and software, to install the timing belt.

anahata

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF GLS, 4dr, silver, 5sp,
Sorry to hear about your difficulty. :( Good luck! I would definitely follow the recommendations here on where to get help and on not cutting corners with this rebuild! How many Km's on the car? (I gather this was the original belt)

Question to the gurus: I have heard some here say 5 years or maximum mileage whichever comes first determines a required TB change and others say that the mileage is the major consideration while the belt age can be a few years more flexible based on individual conditions and monitoring. Any further definite knowledge on this? I've got a belt that was installed on 1/2/07 but will probably not see 100k in 5 years and am in hot & dry AZ.
I know, I should be driving something else. Silly me. :rolleyes:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
tnteggroll said:
I don't think your engine will run correctly with smashed valves.;)

The head must come off no matter if it runs at all.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
<--- DING DING WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

Sorry to hear you had to find out about interference engines and maintenance this way.

tnteggroll

Not much I can do about it while stranded here. Any likelihood it'll be okay just changing the belt, getting it home? Once home, I can at least work on it. Right now, I'm more focused on just getting myself and the family home.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
tnteggroll said:
Not much I can do about it while stranded here. Any likelihood it'll be okay just changing the belt, getting it home? Once home, I can at least work on it. Right now, I'm more focused on just getting myself and the family home.
No. DO NOT JUST CHANGE THE BELT!!! Even if it will run, it could drop a valve later on and trash the rest of the engine.

The head needs to come off. Period.

tnteggroll

Is there anyway to inspect the valves, and/or determine if i could get away with driving it home?