Jeep died

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Just went to run to town and Jeep died at the top of the driveway.
Fuel pump runs but no fire.
What do I want to look at with VCDS for crank and cam sensors?
I have not really played with the program yet.

Those are the only two that I can think of to stop it from firing?
I get no error codes on the VCDS.
Cam is going around. ;>)

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf Sportwagen, BHW Jeep XJ
Your probably interested in g28. It's in block 8 and a couple others. The edc16u31 requires crank position to start, so that's where I'd start. If it shows 0 rpm, there's an issue with g28 most likely.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Your probably interested in g28. It's in block 8 and a couple others. The edc16u31 requires crank position to start, so that's where I'd start. If it shows 0 rpm, there's an issue with g28 most likely.

Thanks xerootg.
No RPM signal.
Had an old ALH on the floor and pulled the sensor out of it. Jeep fired right up.
New sensor will be here in the morning but at least I know that will fix it and keep the ALH sensor as a spare.
This is why I love this forum!!

xjjeeper

TDI
99.5 golf, soon to be Tdi Xj
Crazy... ive never heard of a crank sensor going bad... A while back I was talking to Matt Whitbread and he hasnt heard of them failing either.. Strange.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sure they go bad. Did on my '99.5 Golf. Car would run for a while and when it got warm the crank sensor would lose signal and the car would die. Wouldn't re-start until it was cold again. They can fail in a variety of ways. Not saying that's the OP problem, but they do fail. We sell a handful of them every month.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Crazy... ive never heard of a crank sensor going bad... A while back I was talking to Matt Whitbread and he hasnt heard of them failing either.. Strange.
What's funny is the number of times I've read how rarely they go out, or that people have never seen them go out.
In the past couple years there were a few times it was the crank sensor that was the fix. And this is the second in a couple weeks...
Crank no start or intermittent start, usually when cold, occasionally when hot. The inexplicable, I've checked everything else what am I missing; seems to be the crank sensor...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, mine on my swap was a candidate for causing a stumble at over 3k rpms. They night be robust but they aren't bullet proof. just look at YouTube for "g28 TDI" and you'll see hundreds of no-start, rough idle, or engine instability above 3k videos. I'm just gonna keep one under my bench seat in case it actually does ever die since they are so critical for this generation of ECU.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
OK, back to a no start. Went for a 10 minut drive yesterday and it was good. Went to leave today and it stopped 1/2 way up the driveway.

G28 has RPM but no start.
Next thing to check?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
That's the BEW, if I remember correctly they have a cam sensor also. Could be an intermittent sensor issue and have you checked the asv?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Is there a way to check the cam sensor in VCDS?
I just cranked a long time and it started. Went to the top of the driveway and it stopped. Cranked a long time again and it started and kept running. Went for a short drive and it kept running.
Supposed to go on a holiday in the morning with it. :(

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Checked group 51 and get 903 and 441 so it looks like cam sensor is fine?
Checked voltage at the connector (engine not running) and get 11.5, 4.99 an a good ground.
I suppose we will just see what happens tomorrow.

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
The coolant temperature sensor can do some funky stuff, including making the fuel mixture so out of balance that it won't run. That said... So can map/maf.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
The fuel pump one is always there I think. I have the fuel pump output from the ECU running the Jeep fuel pump relay (ground) .
This is the first time I have seen the cam and alt faults.
Took the Jeep up the driveway about 6 times and all 6 times it died. Last time it did not and I took it for a nice long drive with no problems. Self mending!!! At first I thought it may be a fuel thing but over 1/2 tank and when it runs it goes like stink. Maybe its a heat thing, after those trips up the driveway it was getting warm and once I went for my drive it was up to temp.

I think I will try to borrow a vehicle for our holidays, nothing fixes its self.

Sunday,01,December,2019,16:52:17:09609
VCDS Version: Release 19.6.2 (x64) Running on Windows 10 x64
www.Ross-Tech.com

17909 - Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
P1501 - 000 - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 11.70 V
Bin. Bits: 00001111
Bin. Bits: 0
(no units): 0.0

19463 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
P3007 - 000 - No Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 882 /min
Torque: 52.0 Nm
Voltage: 13.68 V
Idle Stabilization: 0.0°KW
(no units): 48.0

17911 - Load Signal from Alternator Term. DF
P1503 - 000 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2142 /min
Torque: 80.0 Nm
Load: 22.4 %
Voltage: 13.91 V
(no units): 0.0

Readiness: 1 3 1 0 0

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
The only one that concerns me is the cam position sensor. Can you try to go for a drive with the cam position sensor unplugged? The ECU will infer TDC based on the deceleration of the crank in the absence of the cam position sensor. This will help diagnose if the cam position sensor is problematic, since your freeze frame shows no signal at a engine speed that you should have measurable cam speed. The alternator signal is strange. The fuel pump could just be a relay that doesn't have a flyback diode/resistor that is inline with VW.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I can try after dinner.
Would loosing the cam sensor cause the engine to shut down?
This is the first time all day that it has actually thrown a cam fault yet it has died many times.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I fired it up and then unplugged the cam sensor. It did not even hesitate.
I did not take it for a drive though with the cam unplugged. Have to wait till I get back.
Maybe it would have died if I had unplugged the sensor while under load.
Not going to try that. ;>)

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Replaced the cam sensor and its been fine since.
What are the chances of a crank sensor going and then a cam sensor the next day!

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
For the cam sensor, did you end up going with an OEM sensor or aftermarket? I want to replace mine to see if my 3k stumble issue is related, and they were quite pricy when I looked a couple weeks ago even on Rock Auto.