DPF light

TDI
2013 VW Jetta Wagon Turbo Diesel
My DPF light came on about 5 days ago and I researched and found out about the method to get it to regenerate. I drove it for about 35 minutes at a solid 3k rpm and the light still remains on.
I am not noticing any changes in the way it runs and the mpg efficiency is just about the same too. Is this light ever faulty and giving a false warning?

Is there anything else I can do to try and remedy this before taking it to a shop?

2013 VW Jetta Wagon / diesel turbo

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
check the code with vcds, its probably an dpf inefficiency or something close. when they get plugged enough, a regen has to be forced with vcds if its bad enough it will not allow it due to fire hazzard. if you are stil under your 4 year 48k mile emissions warranty. it will be replaced no cost if you have correct oil and fuel. Bring it to vw. if its past warranty, and you dont have emissions in your state.. you could tune and permanently fix it.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thank you, I will contact VW tomorrow then.
no problem. with the other jsw i had. the ash cap was 370ml when i got it at 64k miles. the mil came on in a month. the dealer scanned it, said i needed a new DPF. Put me on the list. said it was covered 100% under warranty. Sadly i totaled it the week it came in.
with the "fix" most dpf's are lasting 60k. they can be sent out and the ash cleaned. if you have emmisons testing id try to pick up a used one and have it cleaned and waiting for when the next fails.
Thats if you plan on keeping the car. Because the dpf will plug again its not if, its when. They have a 100% failure. Its a filter that catches the soot. The soot is burnt off leaving the ash behind. the ash eventually plugs it. The more city driving and short trips you do, the sooner it will happen. If i remember, 400ml is the ash capacity of the dpf. mine is 49ml. so i will have to make it fail before warranty expires. Again if you dont have emissions, save for an eco tune kit from malone. think its around 1300usd

TDI
Thanks for the info. Colorado does have emissions so I guess I have to stick with the DPF and keep it updated. I was under the impression that when doing this run of 20 minutes at a steady 3k rpm it would rid the DPF of all the soot as it reaches a high enough temp to do so.
Unfortunate to hear this will be a recurring issue as I purchased this used just earlier this year and this is the first issue I have had thus far.
I have also seen a cleaner that you spray into the DPF and it is said to clean it out while running. Not sure how effective that is though.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thanks for the info. Colorado does have emissions so I guess I have to stick with the DPF and keep it updated. I was under the impression that when doing this run of 20 minutes at a steady 3k rpm it would rid the DPF of all the soot as it reaches a high enough temp to do so.
Unfortunate to hear this will be a recurring issue as I purchased this used just earlier this year and this is the first issue I have had thus far.
I have also seen a cleaner that you spray into the DPF and it is said to clean it out while running. Not sure how effective that is though.
No they go through regens when it hits certain parameters. Is your tailpipe black at all? your finger should be clean if you you touch the inside.
but, as stated a regen an be forced. ask to have a forced when you bring it in.
but as i told my dealer. if the motor blows, its under warranty. So i dont really care. i average 2-5k miles monthly. so they put me up top for a replacement. :D i put 6400 miles on in the 2 months i owned it.

The cleaners work by raising the dpf temp far above normal. 1700+f. You could try them..... but again, its under warranty. best method is removal and sent for cleaning when warranty is out.
the dpf is a pita to remove. That's why i suggested having a cleaned one ready. you can clean them yourself. but when sent in they are baked and backwashed. almost like new.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Except they are not made to be cleaned. They have to be cut open and re-welded for the cleaning to occur. Cracking the ceramic media is also a problem doing this. There are only a few places that I have read that will even attempt this on a VW dpf.

There is also a difference between soot and ash. Don't get them confused. As stated the soot can be burned off and turns to ash and is collected in the dpf. It is a filter so it isn't a 100% failure rate, it is designed to be replaced at intervals just like your air filter is. when you replace those you don't call it a failure, it is required maintenance. All filters need to be replaced at some point because they are full and clogged not because they failed. They did their job as designed.

Spray in cleaners will pretty much be useless in my opinion. If it is ash you are dealing with replacement or maybe cleaning will be needed. If it is soot there are already things you can do without using sprays.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Except they are not made to be cleaned. They have to be cut open and re-welded for the cleaning to occur. Cracking the ceramic media is also a problem doing this. There are only a few places that I have read that will even attempt this on a VW dpf.

There is also a difference between soot and ash. Don't get them confused. As stated the soot can be burned off and turns to ash and is collected in the dpf. It is a filter so it isn't a 100% failure rate, it is designed to be replaced at intervals just like your air filter is. when you replace those you don't call it a failure, it is required maintenance. All filters need to be replaced at some point because they are full and clogged not because they failed. They did their job as designed.

Spray in cleaners will pretty much be useless in my opinion. If it is ash you are dealing with replacement or maybe cleaning will be needed. If it is soot there are already things you can do without using sprays.
I highlited something. If it needs replacing its because it failed, or if not working. so yes, 100% failure. they can be cleaned without baking. if its soot blocked sometimes it can be cleaned on the car. Ash filled it must be removed and washed. many products for this in europe. there are usa companies that clean them. and im not meaining failure as the media breaking or melting, that is a defective part.. originally they lasted 150+k miles. That is considered "lifetime" now they plug or get ash loaded in under 60k. I would consider that a failure. They were supposed to be a lifetime part. like the motor, or turbo, etc... If a wheel bearing started growling in 20k, its failed. if it lasts 90k its worn out.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Every filter will eventually clog, some earlier than others due to conditions. This isn't a failure it is doing exactly what it was made to do. Collect soot and burn it off to ash and when full of ash replace it. They aren't made to be cleaned but some attempt to do it with varying success, from my reading. I have 30k miles on my 2015 Beetle so far and it isn't even close to having any ash load much less getting plugged at 60k like you suggest. The dpf was never considered to be a "lifetime" part. There is no such thing anyway.

I have only 12 grams of ash in 30k miles, I doubt it clogs in 60k. Maybe 120k or so.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Every filter will eventually clog, some earlier than others due to conditions. This isn't a failure it is doing exactly what it was made to do. Collect soot and burn it off to ash and when full of ash replace it. They aren't made to be cleaned but some attempt to do it with varying success, from my reading. I have 30k miles on my 2015 Beetle so far and it isn't even close to having any ash load much less getting plugged at 60k like you suggest. The dpf was never considered to be a "lifetime" part. There is no such thing anyway.

I have only 12 grams of ash in 30k miles, I doubt it clogs in 60k. Maybe 120k or so.

Not sure the conversion. but rosstech it was labeled ml. not grams. Or is 12 gram of ash less thaan what im thinking. and also. the dieselgate (cjaa cbea) ones are tuned different than your 2015 ea288. and also what app is that?

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Vag Dpf it says right at the top. I monitor all my driving for regens. When the soot gets to 23 or 24 something it starts and runs until it gets back down to 4 to 6. When under regen all the values are filled in and working. Runs by BT OBDII dongle and the app on my phone, which sits in a phone holder and is charging. I use my phone for nav, music phone and monitoring the dpf. There is nothing else out there that works like this and is so easy to use and visualize. I never interrupt a regen, but that is just me. They only take about 10 minutes to complete so I usually just hit the interstate for 5 minutes out and then back. Works great! All those green arrows turn read as it heats up to let you know and then go back green as it cools off.

TDI
Took it to VW and the regen was under warranty. Also fixed a leak on the manifold. Car back with no warning lights and no charge. Kudos VW

How does that app interact with your exhaust system?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Took it to VW and the regen was under warranty. Also fixed a leak on the manifold. Car back with no warning lights and no charge. Kudos VW

How does that app interact with your exhaust system?
it reads data from the ecu. But it seems it wont work with my elm reader. it does say its not compatible with the cjaa motor yet.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Vag Dpf it says right at the top. I monitor all my driving for regens. When the soot gets to 23 or 24 something it starts and runs until it gets back down to 4 to 6. When under regen all the values are filled in and working. Runs by BT OBDII dongle and the app on my phone, which sits in a phone holder and is charging. I use my phone for nav, music phone and monitoring the dpf. There is nothing else out there that works like this and is so easy to use and visualize. I never interrupt a regen, but that is just me. They only take about 10 minutes to complete so I usually just hit the interstate for 5 minutes out and then back. Works great! All those green arrows turn read as it heats up to let you know and then go back green as it cools off.
it might be my bluetooth obd not working. but the app says it does not have compatibility with the cjaa yet.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The developer is from overseas and there probably won't be any more updates. Try different ones on the trial version and see if you can get any to work. I have emailed him personally and he needs the car to work on the updates. But ours don't exist over there. I lucked out I guess. The Passats and Beetles work fine.