Code P028E

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
low reductant pressure, light came on this morning. VW did a recall on def tank heater/ pump module in July this year. I checked level by trying to add more def with add blue bottle after recall, it took one bottle. Driving home tonite from work, Low def warning light came on. Added all the blue bottle def all i had 3 bottles. Won't reset from 200 miles to shut down.

Where did all the def in that tank go in 5 months? bad pump/module unit? broken lines? anyone else have this issue? tomorrow when i get at work try to put 2.5 gal jug of def in. Have an appt at dealer saturday morning. If adding def doesn't shut off count down, guess it will have to be towed, to dealer 150 miles away. i put about 11K miles on car in this time frame.

Any feed back would be appreciated. THX.

Last edited:

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
Well, def system completely died, full tank def, dealership i bought car from, was given the code in PCM. They took to their A VW diesel tech. Did history of car, reclls, tsb's and such, and VW failure history of system. They ordered ALL parts in def system, from tuesday call from me. Parts are already in dealership today wednesday, waiting for car to do in house diagnoses and replace whats needed!

Issue for getting it there, VW Road side assistance will only tow to nearest VW dealer. I tried to get NEAREST DEALERS to do look up of VW history service. One Stealership said unable to do that. VW doesn't share info from one dealer to the other. Gave them VIN of car to see if they could pull it up. That dealership said there is a clock spring recall on my car... I said really? That was done. Asked for the service manger there they said hes not available today..I said thank you and hung up.

Stelership B told the whole run done code, def light in panel with wrench light. They said you ran it out of DEF fluid, needs to be reset by their stealrship tool. I replyed i just topped of DEF taank an hour or so aago only took 1.5Gallons def, tank holds just under 5 gallons. So why would all the lights be on for, and in countdown mode to shut off if tanks full? He said bring us the car WE will figure it out. NO thank you, i can tell already you have no idea what code means, or any trained VW techs hung up on them
The REAL DEALERSHIP, took care of VW roadside assistance. VE roadside only good too nearest dealer, gave them my claim number for assistance to tow, because of distance would be extra charges to ME! CASH. Real dealership knows its a under warranty issue item, took care of tow. Any additional cost they will pay, and get it back from VW USA under warranty.

Started all this at 9AM this morning...Finally got car down there 7PM tonite, got my loaner and now i am home. To follow up later neeed to go to bed.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You cannot expect to get any solid answer for anything over the phone. Don't bother. I deal with that nonsense every day.

You (and many others) are seeing why the older cars are so loved, and why so many newer cars get emissions control system deletes. It sucks, I know. I wish I had a better answer for you. But I don't. What I do have is a 567k mile 2000 Golf that I drove to work this morning that won't ever have your problems, and I have a tow dolly to rescue cars that do. Irony is: my 2000 Golf has already used said tow dolly to tow a broken 2010 Jetta. :eek:

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Oilhammer, needless to say 567K is an impressive number for 2000 Golf. Just curious, has the engine been overhauled.. if so at what mileage?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Oilhammer, needless to say 567K is an impressive number for 2000 Golf. Just curious, has the engine been overhauled.. if so at what mileage?

I bought it broken, shortly after a dealership attempted (and failed) to do a timing belt job on it at 383k miles. They tensioned the tensioner backwards, and it broke and came apart about 1000 miles later, then told the PO that the engine was just worn out. :rolleyes:

So it got a reconditioned head (had about 150k miles on it previously, came off an engine that had its oil pan smashed open), 4 new rods and pistons (had some bottom end damage from pistons getting romantic with valves when the belt came off), a used (110k mile) turbo and 11mm pump from an automatic car that had its entire engine replaced (that one due to another dealer timing belt attempt.... from Memphis...made it as far as STL before it came apart).

The block, crank, main bearings, are the remaining original bits, although I should add that when I took it apart (in the car, I never removed the engine), other than the obvious dealer induced tooefage, the engine was in stellar condition and really showed no signs of excess wear.

The car needed a lot of other TLC once I got it running again. But normal stuff that you'd expect from a 383k mile car. Beam bushings, a cooling fan, stuff like that.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Word of advise, in my experience with dealer Service Advisers, they are hired to answer the phones, make appointments, maybe make sure a loaner is available, stock the free coffee, and smile at the customer while signing paperwork/dropping the car off.

If you expect anything more than that, you'll be let down. If they provide anything more than that, you should be surprised.

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
Up and running fine, issue leakage on def line where it connects to injector, caused blockage of def nozzle, low pressure code, and it was all covered by VW under diesel gate warranty, including 120 mile tow to dealership i bought car from by VW roadside assistance. Now thats what a GOOD dealership does.
I thought it was recall upgrade to def heater/pump module failed.

As i said closer dealerships, were just holding a money grabbing hand out.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Not surprised by the dealer's inability to do proper timing change then blame the engine!!!

Hope you get many more mileages from the Golf TDI. They're such fun cars to drive.