www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old November 15th, 2019, 05:25   #16
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The Pentastar is a well known turd of an engine in terms of durability. That alone would keep me away from any [new] Wrangler with spark plugs, although I *might* consider the turbo 4.

But there is no real good reason for the diesel to be linked exclusively to a $2k automatic transmission. For that matter, there is no real reason why a 4 cyl diesel could not be employed in the Wrangler (the 2.8L diesel in the Colorado/Canyon/Express/Savanna has no troubles moving them around).

I agree the cost would be higher for the engine, though. Just the transmission that chaps my ass more than anything. But to be honest, the Wrangler's starting price has quickly spiraled up in recent years anyway, almost becoming a status symbol and trying to rub shoulders with Land Rovers and things.

Too bad the Roxor is not road legal. That is more the type of Jeep I know and love. My CJ5 was a total blast, even if it rusted faster than a Subaru (which it did, had both at the same time... on a quiet night you could HEAR the two of them rusting).
Old November 15th, 2019, 08:32   #17
MPLSTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 Jetta DSG
Fuel Economy: Max 54, 44 avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBruceGuy View Post
  • Save your money
  • Buy a TJ
  • swap in an ALH

Save your money
Buy a TJ
swap in an BRM*

* Corrected.

This has been my dream swap. But I am starting to come around on the 4 doors. Maybe a JKU with a PD would be a nice option. Those 3.8 were junk and I have to think the 07-11 would make a good donor.
The problem is, the Donor vehicles are still way too expensive. And the swap kits too!
Old November 15th, 2019, 09:31   #18
oilhammer

BHW.... even better. 36% more HP than the BRM, and about 50% more TQ. Stock.
Old November 15th, 2019, 10:47   #19
MPLSTDI
Veteran Member

I never said anything about stock, I would also not swap over anything but the cat.
Old November 15th, 2019, 11:13   #20
oilhammer

Yep, still, BHW wins. 100cc more BUT the bigger thing is lower CR. So it not only starts with substantially more power, modding it obviously improves it.

The BEW/BRM/BHW are all very similar to start with, but the BHW is the best starting point for the above mentioned reasons AND it does not have that silly split port head like the BEW does. They all likely have a theoretical upper limit for power output (within reason) that is basically going to be identical. The 1.9L engines typically get bored out and lower CR 2.0L pistons installed to make full use of the engine, which again, the BHW was already graced with.

Of course, the CR 2.0L have perhaps a bit more potential. There are 180hp (factory, stock) versions of those... and some with twin turbochargers!

I tell ya, though, I think I'd rather have the MB OM651 2.1L over any of them.
Old November 15th, 2019, 11:39   #21
MPLSTDI
Veteran Member

As much as I love the bullet proof old OM617, they just don't have the power a Jeep would require.
Old November 15th, 2019, 11:43   #22
MPLSTDI
Veteran Member

If money were no option a E70 out of a BMW X5 with full deletes and a stage two tune. 640 TQ.

I do love a strait 6!
Old November 15th, 2019, 16:01   #23
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Too bad the Roxor is not road legal. That is more the type of Jeep I know and love. My CJ5 was a total blast, even if it rusted faster than a Subaru (which it did, had both at the same time... on a quiet night you could HEAR the two of them rusting).
I might have to look into the body swap idea a bit more. A cycle shop in the area has some Roxors and I checked one over pretty thoroughly. The diesel engine and the fully boxed frame are killer features. If I had $20k burning a hole in my pocket...
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 20:24   #24
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

I lease a JLU Sport manual for $299/month. It gets me on the beach here, and I use it in the winter when they lay down salt to keep my 335D from turning into a rustbucket. Mission accomplished.

The diesel Wrangler would be fun, but dear lord the asking price.

Keep in mind, once the buzz of any Jeep wears off (currently the Gladiator and the diesels), the discounts are deep. It's a Chrysler after all.

2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8, 600 lb/ft
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 20:31   #25
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Pentastar is a well known turd of an engine in terms of durability.

Yep. Had a 2012 JKU pop left side cylinder head at under 10,000 miles. Replaced under warranty.

2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8, 600 lb/ft
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2019, 17:00   #26
dogdots

TDI(s): None

Quote:
... I *might* consider the turbo 4...
I had the pleasure of driving one of the new Wranglers with the turbo 4 recently while traveling for business. Wow they did a great job with that power plant.

I didn't care much for the rest of the vehicle, they haven't improved much since my YJ's for the kind of cash they want for them new.