Totally Confused over MK7 Oil for 507

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I have the VW list of approved oils but I’m still confused.

Which major U.S. brand 5w30 oils can I put in my 2015 Golf? Mobil ESP and Castro’s Edge are listed, but I found conflicting information about them.

Thanks.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Forgive me but I fail to understand your dilemma.

You have listed 2 brands, both of which produce 507 spec oils. Any approved 507 oil will do, so choose one and motor on.

What's the problem?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are no "major US brand" oils that bother to make VAG spec motor oils available at retail outlets to consumers. Welcome to 1990. This is hardly new.

It is also common knowledge to Volkswagen/Audi owners of all the places that DO carry it, or can order it, and in this day and age of the internet, this is merely a few mouse clicks and it is delivered to your door.

So I too fail to see any problem.

Both BP-Castrol and Exxon-Mobile seem to omit having European spec oils granting shelf space in some retail store. Again, nothing new. The only place I know of convenient to buy a VAG spec Castrol oil is the dealer. The only place I know of convenient to buy an MB spec Mobil oil is the dealer. Neither will be found regularly in places like Autozone or Walmart or Menard's.

Last edited:

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Hold on, is the OP more concerned about the oil company being U.S.-based? Is that what we're worried about here? Hardly seems worthwhile after having bought a German brand that's assembled in Mexico, eh?

Seriously, find the cheapest and/or most convenient 507 spec oil and don't overthink it. idparts dot com has many you can choose from.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's really not that confusing: Pick one of these: https://www.idparts.com/20l-tdi-oil-change-kit-cvcacrua-p-4752.html

You probably didn't see the 507.00 spec when you searched for Mobil 1 because Mobil calls a lot of their oils Mobil 1. The Mobil 1 ESP has the VW certification. I'm not aware of any other US-based refiner that has a 507.00 oil.

As far as I know major retailers (Walmart, Autozone, Advance, etc.) do not carry 507.00 oils. Of course you can get Castrol at the dealer, but pricing is hit or miss. Some dealer prices are great, others not so much.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Indigo, I am definitely not a U.S. only kind of guy. It’s just that you don’t see many European oils in major auto stores.

And Oil, my but you seem really snobby and stuck up. Smoke a joint and loosen up for all our sakes.

Oh, and I’d rather not buy anything from VW dealers.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Which major U.S. brand 5w30 oils can I put in my 2015 Golf? Mobil ESP and Castro’s Edge are listed, but I found conflicting information about them.
Thanks.
Just take a ride down to Hingham and visit Peter and the gang at www.idparts.com. Buy your oil from them there and save shipping $.

oilhammer

TDI
Indigo, I am definitely not a U.S. only kind of guy. It’s just that you don’t see many European oils in major auto stores.

And Oil, my but you seem really snobby and stuck up. Smoke a joint and loosen up for all our sakes.

Oh, and I’d rather not buy anything from VW dealers.

I would never, ever, smoke anything. I do not drink alcohol either.

You are not in Europe. European cars are a very small minority here, with most brands being the "snobby and stuck up" end of the spectrum, so there isn't likely to be much available at parts stores not specializing in them either.

I bet it would be difficult to find certain American branded (and more importantly, American domestic marketed) parts in Germany just the same. If you owned certain cars there, you'd have to be your own advocate. You asked a question like someone who has owned Fords and Toyotas for 30 years and just purchased his first Volkswagen, which I know is not your case, which is why we are all wondering why you are struggling with this. Sorry if I offended you, but I won't "loosen up" or partake in any mind altering drugs, thanks.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Many NAPA stores carry LiquiMoly oils like the Longtime High Tech, which is 5w30 507 spec.

Sure, it's a little pricey at ~$11/L but if you're in a pinch and want to "buy local" it's a good option.

(Word to the wise: it's called "dope" because it does makes you dumb.)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Pep Boys used to carry mobil1 esp 507. It was cheaper to order it from an online vendor though.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Longtime High Tech is VS 505 and 505.01, but not 507.00. Top Tech 4200 and Long Life III are 507.00.
Thanks IBW.

I stand corrected, it's the TopTec 4200 Longlife III that I meant to say.

In stock at my local NAPA, along with other flavors that also meet my Bluetec's 229.51 or 229.52 spec.

Pricey though, which is why I prefer idparts ;)

Edit: in looking at their options, I also found Valvoline SynPower MST 5w30 which meets the 229.51 spec for Bluetecs. It's $5.39/qt! Cheap oil changes galore.

Last edited:

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oil, that’s your problem right there. Maybe you should try one drink. Down the slippery path... Thanks.

oilhammer

TDI
I do not frequent car sites for life lessons, but if you must know, I grew up around alcoholics, and have witnessed first hand the loss it causes. No thanks, I will take the high road. I am not missing anything. My father beat it years ago, my grandfather did not, my brother did not, an uncle did not, and it has continued to be an issue for other family members. I won't touch it. Don't need it. Never will.

Maybe YOU should sober up? ;) May be easier for you to answer your own simple questions about oil.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I only partake of prune juice and 5w30.
I suppose there’s always a chance you didn’t inherit the gene.

And I’m blessed by not having an addictive personality. A bad one, just not addictive.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
on the rest of this thread, I am so glad TDI club has an ignore list function. comes in hand for folks like this.

I am reminded of a passage in "the soul of a new machine"

Peck one day said to this engineer, “You’re an *******.”
Ordered by his boss to apologize, Peck went to the man he had insulted,
looking sheepish, and said, “I’m sorry you’re an *******.”

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Thanks. But it's frustrating when a major retailer negotiates some kind of a deal on a product like this. Happens with a lot of manufacturers. We've speculated that with discounts and rebates somewhere like Jiffy Lube probably spends close to nothing for oil. All their revenue goes to labor and overhead, we suspect.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
It is an effective way for them to get DIY folks to find, drive to, and enter a local brick and mortar store.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You are reminding me of my grandfather's complaints about the modern supermarkets.

he had a milk route, and saw the same milk sold in the supermarket for less than he paid at the dairy.

(which is one reason our streets are not filled with milk wagons)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Thanks for the link! Bought 24 bottles for 4 changes. $132 or $33 a change. Saved about as much as I spent. Now some filters from IDParts. 4 oil filters plus 2 fuel filters.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pasteurization is another one. ;)

I remember the Borden's milk he sold was pasteurized. Some was not homogenized, so the cream would float to the top.

(this was in Detroit. Commercial milk distributors were pasteurizing milk in the late 1800s)

https://books.google.com/books?id=S...6AEwEXoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=pasteurize&f=false

has some light reading. Michigan state law outlawed raw milk or milk product sales at least as early as 1913.

the big concern was fake butter, margarine actually sold with the colors mixed in!

I still remember minor rants on the evils of fake butter (from the milkman)

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Thanks. But it's frustrating when a major retailer negotiates some kind of a deal on a product like this. Happens with a lot of manufacturers. We've speculated that with discounts and rebates somewhere like Jiffy Lube probably spends close to nothing for oil. All their revenue goes to labor and overhead, we suspect.
Yeah, you guys definitely don't have the kind of volume to command the bulk pricing that JunkyLube would get - although you are also getting it containerized in smaller amounts. They get bulk shipments delivered by a bowser directly into their jumbo tanks, and metered at the nozzle. So right away even without the volume they do, the lack of small container sizes is going to give them a better per-gallon price.

But you guys win on selection of quality options, service, and generally not mucking up someone's oil pan and trying to hide the damage.

Now for the 2009-2014 (and I suspect the 2015+ engines too) if there has been certain... *ahem* "adjustments" then your favorite Mobil 1 Delvac 5w-40 will do your engine quite nicely. But asking for opinions on oil is more risky than politics or religion. Ask 5 people their oil opinion and you will get 7 conflicting answers!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My experience has been they don't carry 507 type oils in bulk. When I used them long, long ago they had to get bottles to do the fills. Too small a market for bulk.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Thanks.
I suppose that there is a lot to be concerned about - especially when someone states the Mobil ESP and Castrol's Edge are 507 spec. Truly they can be but only certain varieties of these particular flavours. It's tempting buy the 4 quart jug of Castrol Edge at CostCo for a deal - only to find it's NOT the 507 spec version.

I understand the concern - we're at the mercy of looking for that fine print becuase we value the engineering and trust the specs to protect our beloved engines...

Once you do find that trusted source - stick with it...