Cluster

El Jimador

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Hello, I just had a question regarding my cluster. The tachometer and the spedo don't usually work, but they work on cold starts so when my dad has to go to work in the morning they work, but then they don't for the rest of the day. How do i fix this issue? Thanks

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I'm guessing you have a '98 from your profile - would help to know for sure.

Fairly common for the stepper motors in the cluster to fail. From what l understand if one dies the other often stops working. You can swap the motors from another cluster which will probably solve your issue.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

El Jimador

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Hi, yes it is the 1998 jetta. So even though it works on cold starts, still could be the motor and not the soldering of the pin connections on the cluster?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Solder joints are a common source of problems too...

El Jimador

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
aight, I am going to see if I could fix the soldering joints next weekend, as I had to finish my assignments cuz school lol. But I was going to ask, where could I get brand new stepper motors for the cluster if that is the issue? I know online and stuff but is there a specific part number that fits or what?

Thanks

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
aight, I am going to see if I could fix the soldering joints next weekend, as I had to finish my assignments cuz school lol. But I was going to ask, where could I get brand new stepper motors for the cluster if that is the issue? I know online and stuff but is there a specific part number that fits or what?

Thanks
Easiest and cheapest way is to grab another Mk3 cluster. Doesn't need to be a TDI one, the motors are the same. Not sure if there's an early / late split on them, I don't THINK so but maybe someone else will chime in.

Tdidrak

TDI
1996 tdi
I have a Passat 96. Speedometer and odometer do not work after tranny swap. I picked up car with a deed battery. St Elmo's chip? Can I swap out motor for this only?