www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery

Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Jetta/Bora/or Vento TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old August 28th, 2017, 09:09   #16
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIDDY_UP_GO View Post
You Sir, will have a long and happy marriage!
I hope so! I didn't tell her that's what I was getting on the plate. So when she realized it I scored some major brownie points. Though I'm probably going to use them all up in a few weeks when the next round of parts starts showing up on the doorstep lol.
Old August 31st, 2017, 09:19   #17
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Not having a car payment is awesome. More money for car parts! Lol. Overall the car is already running really well and a lot of this is just PM work to ensure it can run to 500k miles with no issues. The interior isn't a big deal at the moment but if I find the right deal on grey heated seats (cloth or pleather - it doesn't matter) I may do them earlier then planned.

The plan for the car is in the next four weeks
Change all fluids and filters (including brake and steering)
Pulling all four fender liners/cleaning/POR15 if needed
Vogtland Junior Cup suspension setup
Panzer Plate and FMJ
2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust
Malone Stage 1.5 tune w/ Dynamic Idle and Dynamic EGR

Then... Spring 2018
Replace intake manifold and intercooler
Injector overhaul and Bosio 1043 nozzles

Fall 2018
Cooling system overhaul - including new radiator and thermostat

VNT-17 turbo
Reupholster interior and new headliner (it has the common mkiv issues)
HID headlights

Last edited by Cptcrnch; August 31st, 2017 at 11:45.
Cptcrnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 14:46   #18
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

SO it appears I most likely have a broken lower egr pipe. I haven't actually gotten under the car to verify yet but others with the same high pitched tea-kettle like whistle have found the same problem. I ordered a new pipe and gaskets and when I install the new exhaust I'll check the pipe. Depending on condition even if not broken I'll probably replace it since I have the parts and I'm already under the car.
Old September 5th, 2017, 15:53   #19
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Look at this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=263090 to see why pipes break. Important so it doesn't happen again.
Old September 6th, 2017, 05:34   #20
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Look at this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=263090 to see why pipes break. Important so it doesn't happen again.
The bracket is indeed there as the car was not part of the recall (I have a buddy who runs thebservice deptarment of my local VW dealer run the VIN). Between the trans swap that was just completed and the car not having a belly pan to protect against corrosion I'm pretty sure the pipe cracked due to that.

Last edited by Cptcrnch; September 6th, 2017 at 07:56.
Old September 6th, 2017, 09:30   #21
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Are all three screws in the bracket? If so you're probably right about corrosion.
Old September 6th, 2017, 10:00   #22
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Quote:
Are all three screws in the bracket? If so you're probably right about corrosion.
The top and bottom screws are present but the middle screw is missing. Seems like it would be easy to replace. Does anyone know the size I would need and is something I can source from a hardware store.
Old September 6th, 2017, 12:10   #23
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Ah, now you see the problem. Here's what a complete set of screws looks like, don't know which you'd consider the middle screw in the bracket. http://www.idparts.com/egr-cooler-bo...ew-p-2411.html

And I know one of them isn't easy to replace, which is why dealer techs tend to leave them out when servicing the car. I don't think you're going to get something that will fit at a hardware store.
Old September 6th, 2017, 12:34   #24
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Quote:

And I know one of them isn't easy to replace, which is why dealer techs tend to leave them out when servicing the car. I don't think you're going to get something that will fit at a hardware store.
The screw that's probably the hardest to get to (I couldn't actually see it - I felt that it was there) is there. It's the one right above it. Either way screws ordered and will be installed with everything else!
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:13   #25
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Placed the order with Malone for the 1.5 tune with dynamic EGR and a permanently raised idle to 1k. Doing the logging tomorrow however I'm going to wait to install the tune until the end of the month when the exhaust and lower EGR pipe are replaced.

Keeping the EGR to help with engine warm up was important but I didnt want it running all the time. Dynamic EGR seemed like the best solution. I'm putting in stage 1 Dogbone bushings due to the larger exhaust and in my research the 1k idle should help with the vibration due to the stiffer bushings.

Car goes to New German Performance on Tues/Wed for a suspension refresh. I'm hoping between good suspension/alignment, replacing the belly pan, and fixing the leaking egr pipe my fuel mileage will come up a bit. 41 isn't bad given that most of highway driving is at 70mph at 2500rpm. I would drive slower but in the D.C. Capital region (where I commute to for work) 70mph is barely fast enough so that no one runs into the back of you.

Last edited by Cptcrnch; September 7th, 2017 at 10:34.
Old September 8th, 2017, 13:16   #26
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Completed the ventectomy today. The hardest part was getting the thing out. It was stuck in there pretty good. Once it was finally out I had modified and back in the car within minutes.
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:54   #27
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

More parts ordered today. My Bosch check came in the mail last week and since the car still has its original MAF sensor I'm using part of that money for a new one. I also picked up a DieselGeek Sigma 5 short shifter. MAF will be installed when I do all my PM work at the end of the month and short shifter will go in st the same time if I things go smoothly with all the other PM work.
Old September 13th, 2017, 15:54   #28
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Car came back from NGP today. Hard to tell from the photos but the new suspension lowered it about an inch and looks great in person. The ride is so much better then the old OEM setup and it can actually take corners with some speed now. Mike at NGP was great to work with through the entire project and they actually had the car done earlier then promised.
Old September 15th, 2017, 08:24   #29
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

First fill up after the ventectomy. It filled much faster and I probably got an extra 2gal in the tank (I filled 14g at 1/4 tank). I fill up in Maryland on my way home from work since fuel is almost 40 cheaper. Suspension is settling in nicely and giving the car a really nice aggressive but still good ride height.
Old September 16th, 2017, 20:19   #30
ssaric1.9TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptcrnch View Post

Car came back from NGP today. Hard to tell from the photos but the new suspension lowered it about an inch and looks great in person. The ride is so much better then the old OEM setup and it can actually take corners with some speed now. Mike at NGP was great to work with through the entire project and they actually had the car done earlier then promised.
What did you use for you suspension set up?