www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery

Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Jetta/Bora/or Vento TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old October 4th, 2016, 20:10   #16
Electrodynamic
Veteran Member

Wow, nice find! Hope you get it running pretty soon. This forum is awesome with help and tips - tdiclub recently helped me find out that the previous owner of my car had the aftermarket catch can plumbed backwards which was the reason it was spitting oil into the air intake.

Previous car:
Electrodynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 04:03   #17
GIDDY_UP_GO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39mpg (But I drive 80mph alot!)

Finally got around to taking the Jetta to my TDI guy. Told him I was in no hurry because I am waiting to get my moneys from the 2015 Jetta I am selling back to VW for the TDI buyback.

Hopefully he can get it running for me and this car will replace the one I am selling back to VW!
2015 Golf SportWagen 400 mi
THIS WILL MAKE YOU CRY!
GIDDY_UP_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 04:45   #18
hughesjasonk
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ?? Drive it like you stole it ??

I'm with everyone else. I would make sure that the thing is timed. if not then look at normal culprits showing a damaged head. if that checks out then start looking at fuel. since it sat for so long I would definitely reprime the fuel system.

hughesjasonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 18:45   #19
GIDDY_UP_GO
Veteran Member

Just got a call from my mechanic. He hooked it up to VagCom and it had 30 codes. Main culprit seemed to be the cam position sensor. So, that's where we are starting.

Would that keep car from firing? Also, would it somehow also be responsible for the diesel in the oil pan?
THIS WILL MAKE YOU CRY!
Old November 18th, 2016, 19:06   #20
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Cam position sensor could certainly prevent the engine from starting. If there's Diesel in the oil pan (like how much??) - there are fuel galleries in the head with O-rings sealing the injector bodies from the cylinder head. Lift off the valve cover and describe the condition of the cam lobes and lifters under them.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2016, 03:37   #21
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Keep in mind that when you crank a TDI and it doesn't start it will throw a lot of codes. Some are meaningful, some are symptoms of the cranking. I trust your mechanic knows enough to discriminate between codes.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 13:50   #22
GIDDY_UP_GO
Veteran Member

Took it to my TDI guy and he put a new cam position sensor on it and found out that when the previous owner installed a new injector in #3 cylinder he either stripped out the hold down bolt or the bolt came out on its own. (I will know more Monday when I go down and look at it myself)

Anyway, here is my question: Should I have him try to run a thread chaser down the hole and get a new hold down bolt? Or should I get an insert and go that route?

I really don't want to purchase a new head. Could I JB weld a threaded rod in the hold down hole and use a lock nut or double nut the injector hold down? I am just throwing ideas out there.

If anyone has any good ideas, or past experience, please throw em out there!

By the way, the previous owner had a non-tdi mechanic replace the #3 injector not long before the car quit running. I am assuming that he over-torqued the bolt or didn't use a new hold down bolt (I believe these are stretch bolts and one time use only if I remember correctly)
THIS WILL MAKE YOU CRY!