www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery

Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Jetta/Bora/or Vento TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old November 16th, 2015, 07:33   #1
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Default Stromaluski's Porcelain Blue 1998 TDI

Guess I'll make a thread for this car. Why not, haha. I had a B4 TDI a few years ago; and while it was a great car, the Passat just wasn't my cup of tea. I've always been more of a Jetta guy than a Passat guy. So I sold the B4, and then went through a couple of non-VW's. Eventually sold them all and was driving one of our Corrados every day. One by one, every other car we had broke, so I decided that it was time to buy another car. Looked around and finally came across this car here on TDIClub.

Originally an AZ car, the PO bought it out of Tuscon and drove it back to Washington DC a few years ago. Eventually decided to clean house and sell some unused cars. I flew up to DC and drove it back down here to SC. About 500 miles home.

Blew a tire about 50 miles outside of DC and drove home on the donut, cruise set at 60. Got 54mpg coming home.

Drove it around stock for a month or so, then decided that it was time to add a cup kit.

Drove it down to Florida last week for a VW show (Bulli Brigade and Bug Jam). 700 miles each way. Stopped by the shop at www.fixmyvw.com and got a Malone Stage 1 tune on my way down. 100% worth it. Next is going to be glowplugs and brakes...
Old November 16th, 2015, 17:31   #2
goodmonkey
Veteran Member

Nice find. I've been more of a Passat guy myself, but getting rid of my B4V currently and just picked up a A5 Jetta. I've owned a Jetta or two, so I can appreciate your decision.
Previous TDI's: 1996 Passat TDI- totaled at 394k miles, 1998 Passat TDI - 175k miles, 2012 Passat TDI SE - 41k, 1996 Passat TDI Variant - 327k, 2014 Jetta SportWagon TDI 6MT - 29k, 2015 Passat TDI SEL - 18k
goodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 18:26   #3
TDI smile
Veteran Member

Location: Greater Vancouver Area, BC, (Chilliwack) (b4 Edmonton, AB) Canada

I see your Bus is in the Garage.... and now lets see some pix of the Bus (inside and out). Ha, Ha
TDI smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 06:31   #4
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI smile View Post
I see your Bus is in the Garage.... and now lets see some pix of the Bus (inside and out). Ha, Ha
Haha, good eye. I've had that thing since high school. Currently apart in the garage with no motor in it. More worried about getting the rabbit truck and the two corrados back on the road than the bus at the moment; the bus is at least out of the weather.

http://s281.photobucket.com/user/Str...es/67%20Deluxe
Old November 17th, 2015, 14:31   #5
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Lucky dog-I wish this was car was for sale-my first TDI was a 98 Porcelain Blue Jetta.......it's hard finding a clean 96-98(early 99) B4 or A3 TDI......
Old November 18th, 2015, 05:13   #6
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidieselbobny View Post
Lucky dog-I wish this was car was for sale-my first TDI was a 98 Porcelain Blue Jetta.......it's hard finding a clean 96-98(early 99) B4 or A3 TDI......
I know that all too well. I saw it and jumped on it. It was a little more than I was hoping to spend for a mk3; but it was such a nice car, I didn't mind.
Old November 18th, 2015, 15:03   #7
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

How many miles on it? Nice and clean as it is,I'm guessing it was between $4k-$5k-anything less than that and you stole it IMHO.....
Old November 19th, 2015, 06:15   #8
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidieselbobny View Post
How many miles on it? Nice and clean as it is,I'm guessing it was between $4k-$5k-anything less than that and you stole it IMHO.....
242k when purchased. Getting close to 248k now. It's definitely been well taken care of. It was just over $4k to buy it and get it home. Not exactly cheap for a mk3, but well worth it, IMO.
Old November 19th, 2015, 15:07   #9
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

That's about how many were on mine when it got totalled 4 years ago-a mint A3 is well worth a few extra $$$$$.....
Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:47   #10
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

A friend and I pulled the cluster out and resoldered all the bad joints. Fixed my airbag light and flashing glow plug light. CEL was still on, though. Scanned it and turns out it was for a bad glow plug. Replaced them in December.

One had been replaced before. Fixed my CEL, though. Also swapped to rear disc brakes at about the same time. Whoever says that rear discs are not an upgrade hasn't driven the same car with and without them. HUGE difference.

Rolled over 250k miles.

Also picked up a set of sebrings from a friend so that I can go ahead and swap the front brakes to g60. Currently being painted and still need to buy tires, but it's getting there.

Painted the door handles because they were so faded, replaced the door handle gaskets, then washed, clay bar'd, and waxed it. Pulled the trim off the passenger side a few weeks ago since it was about to fall off anyway. Need to put it back on. Also really need to do something about the front end being so faded/chipped.

Old February 22nd, 2016, 13:27   #11
benIV
Veteran Member

beautiful car! subscribed
OCD TDICLUB MEMBER #6 - 2003 TDI Mafia Member
Orville, 2003 Jetta 5m Sedan
Knurren, 2003 Jetta 5m Wagon (Golf Variant)

1974 Super Beetle Conv, 1956 Mercedes 560 SL
benIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 06:02   #12
REDNECKDZL
Veteran Member

call me a bit jealous, a corrado, clean MK3 tdi, and a Caddy, nice collection

MK3 looks really clean
Old March 4th, 2016, 05:39   #13
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benIV View Post
beautiful car! subscribed
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNECKDZL View Post
call me a bit jealous, a corrado, clean MK3 tdi, and a Caddy, nice collection

MK3 looks really clean
Thanks!

Changed out the wheels for a set of Sebrings so I can swap on my spare corrado front brakes. Not entirely sure I like the Sebrings, though. I think they make the car look more bulbous, maybe.
Old May 6th, 2016, 06:09   #14
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Time for another update, I suppose.

Swapped out the original injectors for a set of DLC1019s, and then swapped the stage 1 tune for a stage 3 tune. HUGE improvement, but then my clutch started slipping.

After a couple months, I finally pulled the car all apart for the clutch.

Decided to throw a LSD at it while it was all apart. Originally bought an OBX differential, but once I had the transmission apart, I found the OBX was an 02A differential (despite being sold as 02J), so I had to scramble to get an 02J differential, since I already had the transmission apart on the work bench. Ended up ordering a Quaife and had it a couple days later.

Also resealed a bunch of things on the motor, which had a bunch of small oil leaks.

Back in.

Added a set of the euro spec turn signals while I was putting it all back together.

So far, I've put about 200 miles on it. Clutch pedal feels stock despite the SB stage 2 pressure plate. And can't even tell the Quaife is in the transmission. Waiting for the clutch to get broken in before I really beat on the car, though.
Old May 6th, 2016, 06:26   #15
compu_85
Gadget Guy

I've always loved that color. Nice to see a MK3 getting some care

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote