What's that loose spring under your seat? (mk4 seat spring fix)

fnjimmy!

Chucklechump
TDI
TDIdiot
(Mods, please move this if it belongs in a different forum.)
You may have heard of this mystery spring Mk4 owners find underneath their seat:

A lot of people claim this spring is to help the seat slide forward and backward and that it isn't necessary. They're wrong about both claims.
The spring is a helper spring to alleviate stress from and assist the seat height adjuster assembly:

If you've had to replace your seat height adjuster, you know they aren't cheap. Sadly, it's likely that the premature failure of the height adjuster was indirectly caused by the failure of the rear attachment point for that spring. Most have failed by now, and mine wasn't hanging down like the picture indicates but was really just laying in the seat frame. I only noticed the problem when I saw that there was a gap between the front hook on the spring and an the place on the seat frame where it attaches. When I touched it I felt it was loose and not under tension.

This write-up is an explanation of how to fix this problem and save your seat height adjuster, whether you're replacing one that's failed or you prefer to prevent failure of your good adjusters. Please ignore my dirty carpet as I've had a broken seat adjuster, which is why it looks brand new in the pictures. :) The second time I did this the entire job took just under 30 minutes. Someone doing a speed run could probably do it in about 10 but I'm patient and drink beer while I work on my car so it adds time.

Tools required:
Small thin screwdriver or prying apparatus to get the plastic screw cover plugs out of the seat height adjuster lever
T25 bit/driver etc to remove the seat height adjuster lever screws from the seat height adjuster
Phillips screwdriver for the two trim screws on the front of the seat
10mm combo wrench
Punch, less than 1/4" diameter tip
Small hammer
Taper tap (more on this later)
Screw (same size and thread pitch as tap)
Medium flat screwdriver or other appropriate prying apparatus for reinstallation of spring.

Carefully remove the plastic plugs/screw covers from the seat height adjuster lever. Don't gouge up the plastic.
Using the T25 tool, remove the two screws holding the seat height adjuster lever to the seat height adjuster.
Carefully remove the seatback angle adjustment knob cover, these are easy to crack.
Remove the two phillips screws on the front of the outer seat trim. One is on the outside, and is obvious, the other is just above and behind it, underneath the inboard seat trim. It overlaps so you may have to wrangle the trim around a little to get at it.
Gently remove the outer trim from the seat base. There are a few tabs on the top and bottom you want to be careful not to break. There is also a peculiar fastener just forward of the opening for the height adjustment lever. It is a spreader like a plastic rivet, has a cone tip, and is over an inch long. It should be pulled out of the trim from underneath the seat before you attempt to remove the trim. Here's a link to a pic of the passenger side trim, removed from the seat, with the fastener installed:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/photo1.png

and removed:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/photo11.png

Now remove the seat height adjuster. It's 3 10mm-head hex bolts, one on the front side and two at the rear. I ran into some interference with sockets so I just used a combo wrench.

Now wiggle and pull the adjuster out. You may have to push/pull on the seatback a little to get the adjuster free. Careful, the seat can now drop to the floor. If it can't, get the crap out from underneath it before you proceed.
Now you should have something that looks like this:

Flop the seat up and forward as far as you can, over-center, so that it is at its farthest forward position. Note, this is farther forward than the adjuster is capable of, so depending on your seating position you may need to move the seat rearward in the track to have enough room to do this. Now you can see our culprit:

The tip of the punch is pointing at what's left of the spring attachment point.
Take your punch and hammer and tap it out. Here it is:

At this point you have a clean hole in the seat mechanism, so whatever method you use to make a new anchor for the spring is up to you. The clearance is very tight however and there isn't really room on the back side for a fastener of any meaningful thickness. I chose to tap a hole in the seat and use a 1/4-20x1/2" stainless tapered allen head screw. I used standard instead of metric because I had it handy. Apart from not being metric, it was pretty much exactly what I needed in terms of length and head diameter. I took this pic after I was finished so you'll notice the screw already installed in the seat.

It was a little tricky tapping it, I unscrewed one side of the tap handle so I would have a longer range of motion before hitting interference with the floor of the car. Also worth noting, it's helpful to not tap the hole completely through as there's no room for a fastener on the back, tapping it slightly tapered allows a compression fit for fine adjustment. What you want to do is turn the screw in far enough for the head to just clear the seat frame as the mechanism moves through it's range of motion as the seat moves up and down. This is tricky. I kept turning the screw in until the only place it rubbed was at the very top of the arc of the seat movement. I didn't have to force anything, I just felt a slight resistance. This is a point well above the functional range of the seat once the height adjustment mechanism is installed, so it's not an issue. Verify you can move the seat all the way back down to the floor, then flop it forward again and reinstall the spring, rear end first:

This can be a little tricky as well. The spring slides through a narrow channel in the seat frame and hooking around the head of the screw requires you to fish the end of it around a bit while you get the seat into position. I found that when I tried to install the spring with the seat all the way forward, it popped loose when I returned the seat back to the operating postion of the height adjuster. It may take some fiddling around to get a feel for it but it's not that tough. I also found out that the taper head on the screw I used didn't allow the spring slip all the way down to the shank of the screw so it rides more toward the outer edge of the head but it's not an issue and I don't expect it will become one. If you wish you can grind or otherwise modify your fastener as long as you don't exceed the maximum size to clear the seat frame.
When you think you have it, hold a little tension on the spring from the front so it doesn't fall off the head of the screw and move the seat into position. You want to make sure the spring is placed correctly and isn't binding or interfering with anything else, it should be almost straight from the point on the seat where it hooks to where it wraps around the head of the screw. Here's a pic of the spring placed in the seat in the forward position. Be sure you flop the seat back down before attaching the spring at the front.

If everything checks out, hook the spring onto the front of the seat:

I found it was easiest to start out with the tip of the screwdriver toward the rear of the car, stick the screwdriver through the loop on the end of the spring, pivot the shaft of the screwdriver on the front spring hook on the seat frame, and then pull the handle of the screwdriver toward the rear of the car and let the spring slide down the shaft of the screwdriver onto the hook on the front of the seat frame. Then slide the screwdriver out carefully.
Now bounce up and down on your spring-loaded seat a few times and make sure everything still works like it's supposed to and you dont have any noises or binding/interference. If everything seems ok, put your seat back together. You may want to have a buddy help you put a little pressure on your seat and wiggle it a little while you re-install the height adjustment mechanism, now that the seat is under tension it makes a little harder to replace that piece. Be sure to tighten the three bolts gradually and evenly.
Finally, replacing the seat trim is a pain, be patient and don't force anything, it's easy to screw that plastic up.
Now replace the height adjustment lever and note the orientation of the plastic plugs you removed. They're asymmetrical and go in a specific way. Replace the outer plastic seatback angle adjustment knob. It has three tabs that fit in specific gaps on the metal part of the knob. Line it up correctly and it pops right back on easily.
You're done! Celebrate by adjusting your seat height!
I hope this helped you!

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Nice write up.

Sadly, most of the springs get tossed early on. Mine fell out by 15K miles.

fnjimmy!

Chucklechump
TDI
TDIdiot
Nice write up.

Sadly, most of the springs get tossed early on. Mine fell out by 15K miles.
Thanks.

Yeah, when I found mine I checked the passenger side to see how the spring attaches and it was bad as well. I imagine most that are still in seats are just laying there loose not doing anything useful.

Last edited:

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Hmm, so that's what the spring I found on the floor of the '99 Passat likely was. Never bothered to look because everything seemed to still work just fine, and nothing rattled. Just chucked it out the other day since the Passat no longer lives here.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Mk4 seat spring repair

Great write-up, Jimmy. I'm going to add this to the HOW TO thread.

fnjimmy!

Chucklechump
TDI
TDIdiot
Great write-up, Jimmy. I'm going to add this to the HOW TO thread.
Thanks. I'm fixing another seat today, afterwards I may edit the how-to for clarification so it's easier for folks who haven't done it. If anyone tries this fix and has suggested edits let me know so I can add them.

DieselHuffer

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI 5-spd
Awesome write up!
Found that spring on the passenger side floor of my new to me Jetta....now I know what to do with it!

H2O2H

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
I found two of them.
But, I guess, they are on the newer seats I replaced the seats that lost them with.

I fixed a seat that had height adjustment issues.
Replaced just that mechanism (OP's pic 2) from another seat and it was fine.
For the life of me I dont recall a spring in any of 5 front seats.

Gotta check all mine out.

Last edited:

fnjimmy!

Chucklechump
TDI
TDIdiot
Well mine is back in the seat, you seem to have taken a long way round to fix yours? Or maybe yours has broken at the other end, I'm not sure but something's different lol

Yeh mine looks different from yours

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/485128/3404587.aspx#3404587
I can't tell for sure, but from your pics it appears you may have poked the spring through the hole that the shoulder rivet used to occupy. I considered that but I was afraid the width of the hook on the end of the spring would be an issue (as were the engineers who designed the seat) if it were oriented horizontally rather than vertically, so I approximated the original design. It didn't cost me anything and didn't take much longer.:)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Nah there's a proper hook for it at that end, there should be a plastic part at the front end and it's that that breaks and causes the spring to fall off.

fnjimmy!

Chucklechump
TDI
TDIdiot
Nah there's a proper hook for it at that end, there should be a plastic part at the front end and it's that that breaks and causes the spring to fall off.
If so then your seats are indeed different. Worth noting for owners of non-North American market cars. It may actually vary on later vs earlier mk4s as well. I'm no authority on the various differences in the seats.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I think you're right, these are the sport seats as found in our gti's etc, then there's the recaors, then there's the box standard ones and then you guys get some other ones in your gli's I believe? Oh yeh, there's also the R32 ones lol.

fnjimmy!

Chucklechump
TDI
TDIdiot
I think you're right, these are the sport seats as found in our gti's etc, then there's the recaors, then there's the box standard ones and then you guys get some other ones in your gli's I believe? Oh yeh, there's also the R32 ones lol.
A-ha. I wasn't aware the uprated seats were also affected by the same issue, only that it's a common failure on the most common type of seat in a Mk4 TDI here.

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
^here I was all excited to see the DIY, then I read your response, laughed, and realized that is probably all I'm going to do.

wphil

TDI
Mk4 TDI 115PD
This instruction was really good. I had looked at another forum over a year ago but that didn’t allow me to be confident how to access the location of the failed rivet. I did this with the seat in the car but did end up removing it from the rails. My vehicle is a UK Mk4 TDI with sports seats and the seat looks just like the pictures except of course mine is the RH seat/UK driver’s seat.
I thought I would share how I made my repair to help others. I had a ¼”-20 countersunk bolt as used by fnjimmy! but no tap. I also had M6 bolts but my cheap M6 tap broke in the hole, I think partly due to the fact the hole is D shaped as I discovered later.
I ended up fabricating a repair by drilling the hole out slightly to 5.5mm which was not really enough but my next drill size was 6mm which I thought would be too big. I used an M6 cap head bolt with a partial rolled thread. I filed the head down so it would fit in the clearance in the seat mechanism when the spring was hooked on it. I then cut it to length so it would just push through the hole without protruding the other side. This left me with no threaded section so I effectively had a dowel. When I tried to push this in with a mole wrench (=channel lock pliers in the US?) I discovered the hole was D shaped as metal picked up. I removed it and filed a flat and tried again. After a lot of effort with the wrench and a G clamp it was eventually installed with just enough room for the spring between the head and seat frame so no slop and just 0.5mm protruding the other side. I tried moving the seat mechanism and there was no fouling. Perfect and it’s never coming out.
In retrospect I should have tried fettling the ‘bolt’ shank or hole a little at a time until I got a tight fit but reasonably easy to install which mine wasn’t.
I’m sorry I didn’t take any photos but I think the cap head bolt and plain shank gives a secure fit and the spring should not ride up like on the countersunk head bolt.
This is a photo of the type of bolt I used, M6x30mm allen socket cap head. Filing the head down probably removed all the knurled section and the bolt was cut at the junction between the thread and the smooth section of the shank.

I hope this long winded description helps someone. Thanks to fnjimmy! for getting me started down this route.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Hmm... I found the passenger seat spring on the floor in the springtime. Today, I looked underneath the driver's seat to see if I could figure out how to reattach the passenger side, only to find that spring on the floor as well. And now, I stumble upon this nice write-up. I'm not sure I'll bother with the fix though, since my seats seems to work fine as is.

JettaTdiSport

TDI
2004 Jetta Tdi Sport
LOL I was vacuuming out my car yesterday and found the little hook on the floor. I thought it was from the kids booster seat (looks like a hook for the elastics that hold the seat cover on) and almost threw it out. Then I found the spring lying under the pass seat. Having then checked the drivers seat, I found the same spring just sitting in the slot! Not sure if I will attempt a repair as I leave the seat down all the way. BUT to find this DIY shortly after finding those springs is a good coincidence.

Maybe VW should recognize this problem and issue a recall to properly secure the springs?

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Would it be easier to remove the seat from the car for the work?

What is the part number for the spring?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
1j0 881 245

fnjimmy!

Chucklechump
TDI
TDIdiot
Would it be easier to remove the seat from the car for the work?
I didn't get that impression in my car, except for tapping the threads. Not having the floor there would have been more convenient, but I'm not sure it would have been more convenient to pull the seat out just to gain that clearance. Maybe if you also wanted to try to see what you were doing a little better. I did it by feel, and I think when it came to reinstalling the spring, having the seat attached to the car might have made it easier for getting leverage, at least for someone working by themselves. Not having done it one a removed seat I couldn't say for sure. I have an old New Beetle seat I could play with.

Last edited: