My 22/60 install/ALH build thread, pics inside

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
99, white,2 door golf and 98, white, Jetta
A little backstory.

I finally got my motor together and my 99 Mk4 Golf running again this fall. It was down for just short of two years after I cracked my #2 piston in half. I had my fair share of obstacles and hold ups. It took some time to gather all the right parts and put it back together the way I wanted. It was well worth the wait in my opinion and I'm really happy with the end result.

My motor now consists of the following.
Dblias 260 camshaft
Rosten dual valve springs
Rosten Titanium retainers
Stg4 ported, polished, and rebuilt head by Passenger Performance
Bosio RACE 520 nozzles
ARP head stud kit
80mm oversized ASV pistons
18.5-1 compression pistons via reshaped combustion bowls by Shortysclimbin
Swaintech coated piston tops
Integrated rifle drilled H-beam rods
Calico treated rod bearings
ARP rod bolts
Eurospec main girdle
ARP main bolts
Eurospec full steel oil pan
Fluidampr crank dampner
Eurojet 3" turboback exhaust
Southbend Stg5 hybrid clutch
Vibrant CCV scavenging kit routed into downpipe

Now that the motor is up to the task it is time to say goodbye to the 17/22 and move on to something bigger. The Darkside kits caught my eye because I'll be able to use all my existing intake and intercooler piping. I like the way my engine bay looks now and i want to change as little as possible. My kit showed up last week and I couldn't be happier with the way everything looks. Amazingly beautiful build quality and materials. For now I just have pictures of the kit, but I'll be updating this thread as I go forward with the install. I'm disassembling the turbo this week/weekend to send the exhaust side and manifold out for coating. I'm excited to get this kit on and drive the car, should be fun :D

Pre existing mods.

Stg5 software by Rocketchip
Euro PD130 Passat intake manifold
Custom FMIC and powdercoated piping
CAT 2 fuel filter w/ Kerma widget
11mm injection pump
PD in tank lift pump
PD130 Passat oil cooler
Rebuild and powdercoated 02J
G60 stock weight flywheel
Peloquin differential
108mm (1.8T/VR6) output flanges
Driveshaft shop stg2.9 axles
B&M and Gruven parts short shift kits

H20 2009 was the last show before the motor bit the dust.

Two weeks later...

So she got torn down.

(That's my trusty 2 liter beater behind the TDI.)

Last edited:

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Started ordering some parts!

After coating

Loaded into the 2.0 and headed to the machine shop.

Fitting the girdle.

Loaded in Dad's Eurovan and headed home.

Last edited:

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Getting block ready.

Getting car ready.

Motor in.

First drive in almost 2 years.

4am the morning of the the Friday before H20 car show. Exhaust done, tires mounted, wheels fitted, suspension dialed in, full black interior installed :)

At H20 2011!

Now that the Golf is all broken in, and i have my Mk3 TDI daily all dialed in, it's time to take the Golf to the next step.

Last edited:

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Wow! Nice setup!, hope you opt for more fuel in the future(12mm). We should have a GTG hopefully next month when I finally take delivery of the wagon:D.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Looking Good Arno, Send me something over to stick on the website in the customers car section! seriously need to get more content on there!!!

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow! Nice setup!, hope you opt for more fuel in the future(12mm). We should have a GTG hopefully next month when I finally take delivery of the wagon:D.
Thanks! I was thinking I might need a 12mm, but I'll see how i like it with current fueling. I really enjoy top end driving and I'm not sure if a 12mm would help or hurt. I hope to have it wrapped up by the end of next month, we'll see how that goes. I'd love to get it to another GTG soon, especially to see the compound/syncro.

This is going to be fantastic.
Keep the pictures coming as well.
Thanks, will do!

Looking Good Arno, Send me something over to stick on the website in the customers car section! seriously need to get more content on there!!!
Thanks Ryan. I'll put something together for you with some real (non-cell phone) pics.;)

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
A few more pics

Engine bay @ H20 2011

Philly Toys for Tots 2011

Picture from a GTG today (my girlfriend helped me get both cars there) :)

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
The candy white it a sweet color. I like the way your engine bay is laid out, good mix between form and function. I had to pause for a second and remember that I wasn't on vwvortex, don't see to many engine bays on tdiclub with painted bits that are not JD green or CAT yellow.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Cars with that low of a stance are not my thing. That said, your car is gorgeous. So tasteful and inspiring levels of attention to detail.

Very nice work. Hope to see it in person someday.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
What fine workmanship! I couldn't live with that low ride height on my rough roads & I'd think an R32 air box & snorkel would improve intake temperatures though.

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the kind words everyone!!!

x2 :) Very nicely laid out. Love the black out treatment, routing of the intercooler pipes, etc. Where is the CCV from?
The CCV solution was fabricated. It's -10 fittings to an Allstar Performance catch can, then routed to a Vibrant scavenging kit into the downpipe.

Looks very nice! Will the three lower inserts from the original bumper fit in the euro bumper?
The US lower grills will fit in the euro bumper, and i had them in there pre FMIC. It's a 2.75" core and the euro bumper is a couple inches shorter than stock. Now the piping and core barely fits behind the bumper.lol

Sure does look pretty slick!
Do you have any plans to upgrade to a 12mm pump?
I'm open to the idea. We'll see if i need more fuel when Jeff does the re-tune.

What fine workmanship! I couldn't live with that low ride height on my rough roads & I'd think an R32 air box & snorkel would improve intake temperatures though.
I thought about doing a BMC air box and 3" MAF for lower IAT. It's an idea nestled in the back of my mind after I handle the big stuff.

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Some pics of the Stg4 ported and polished head (done by Passenger Performance), stainless hardware, and powdercoated bits.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
this is a bad influence thread ... so much that can be done but not enough time!
Congrats on a great built!

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys! I've had the car for 7yrs and I've been playing with it since day one. We've been through alot together.

Congrats on that great build.
I now miss my car :(
Thanks, I wish we got cars like yours down here. I'd miss it too.

08jetvette

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2000 Golf
What coating are you planning to use on the compressor housing? Just got my kit from Ryan and need to get things ready to send out for coating.