2012 6spd manual towing capacity?

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I can't seem to find the official towing capacity spec for the 2012 Jetta with 6spd manual transmission. 2012 model year spec is not up yet on vw.ca. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
My curt hitch says 200lb tounge weight and either 1500 or 2000 lbs towing can't remeber which I took the sticker off it. I've towed close to 1500 lbs for 5 hours with no issues pulled amazing and could maintain any speed you like

joesmoe3

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
What the manual (lawyer-approved) says

Our 2011 manual where it talks about towing has a note that the data was not available at the time of printing, and there are no numbers in that section of the manual. Our binder came with a manual supplement that DOES have the tow numbers in there, to wit:

Power Engine Code Transmission Trailer w/brake Trailer wo/brake

147kW gas CBFA, 6S manual 1,500 lb 1,500 lb
CCTA

103kW diesel CJAA 6S manual 1,000 lb 1,000 lb
*w/DPF*

Tongue weight in all cases is 200 lb (Class I hitch)

There is a note that the ratings are only good to 3,000 feet, and trailer weight must be reduced 10% for every additional 3,000 feet.

Again, this is for our 2011.

Last edited:

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Well i can't fathom that they would recommend against, or discourage towing. Especially since they're boasting about all of the torque! :)

I'm just wondering what the actual numbers are. Thanks for everyone's input!

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
dealers dont sell hitches...they dont recommend any hitches, it seems they do not want you towing my guess is they dont want to pay to fix it if you broke it. The tdi is probably the most capable small sedan for towing its not an issues its just something vw or the dealers like

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
dealers dont sell hitches...they dont recommend any hitches, it seems they do not want you towing my guess is they dont want to pay to fix it if you broke it. The tdi is probably the most capable small sedan for towing its not an issues its just something vw or the dealers like
I hear you. I'm not saying anything about dealers and hitches. I just want to know (if there is one) what the official spec is for towing capacity.

So far it seems there is none.

mwayner69

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
I hear you. I'm not saying anything about dealers and hitches. I just want to know (if there is one) what the official spec is for towing capacity.

So far it seems there is none.
Yes there is, see above:

103kW diesel CJAA 6S manual 1,000 lb 1,000 lb
*w/DPF*

Tongue weight in all cases is 200 lb (Class I hitch)

There is a note that the ratings are only good to 3,000 feet, and trailer weight must be reduced 10% for every additional 3,000 feet.

Again, this is for our 2011.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
So the spec for the 2012 is the same?
Same exact car except for a few cosmetic changes so one would assume that towing capacity would match.

I am however suprised that the gasser can tow more than the TDI :confused: