Inline Hester

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Terry @ frost heater isn't supplying me where their kit is installed in reference to the coolant system.

Anyone have any idea? I literally have 70ft of heat tape I was going to wrap around coolant lines before the thermostat, and around the lines going to heater core.

Cut offs from work, we wrap refrigeration lines and tanks when in cold start applications....

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Have you actually spoken with Terry? All of his kits come with very good instructions... BTW, what is a "hester"? :D

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I have. He won't release documents because I haven't bought the kit in concern of the vehicle application. I did buy one for the my 09. Not this 15.

Hes refusing to work on my "used" kit, even though I discussed a signed disclaimer from both parties regarding voiding all warranty claim and such. Still no budge. And he still. Seems to forget to reply to my direct question of asking for documentation of the 15 installs/conversion.

Typos is because I'm using my phone thumb typing like a teenager, not a real man keyboard.

I have oodles of this

http://www.chromalox.com/en/catalog...eat-trace/srl-self-regulating-low-temperature

What makes it awesome is the splice anywhere, self regulating, and max circuit length.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Terry @ frost heater isn't supplying me where their kit is installed in reference to the coolant system.
Anyone have any idea? I literally have 70ft of heat tape I was going to wrap around coolant lines before the thermostat, and around the lines going to heater core.
Cut offs from work, we wrap refrigeration lines and tanks when in cold start applications....
Have you looked into the wheel well for the spare tire? I have an extension cord in there which connects to a plug under the drivers side head light for the coolant heater. Near the fog light and part of the lower grill is where it plugs in.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Have you looked into the wheel well for the spare tire? I have an extension cord in there which connects to a plug under the drivers side head light for the coolant heater. Near the fog light and part of the lower grill is where it plugs in.
Cars sold in the US do not come with factory coolant heaters like they do in Canada. That is not an option for the OP.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Cars sold in the US do not come with factory coolant heaters like they do in Canada. That is not an option for the OP.
Did not know that. I thought Grand Rapids, Mi. is as cold as up here if not colder.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
And I think it should be available regardless. What if I move? Do I possibly void my warranty relocating to a colder climate?

Dealer did pull up freeze plugs, 50 and 59mm. Wonder where exactly they are located and just knock them out and put in a real block heater element?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Quit simply, buy a kit for a 2015. From a liability standpoint, the last thing Terry needs is to provide instructions so someone can Mickey Mousing the wrong kit into their car and then come back at him because of issues.

Of course he didn't give you instruction for a 2015, you have a kit for a 2009. A signed "disclaimer" would probably be thrown out in milliseconds by a court and if not, it would help prove liability on Terry's part.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Dealer did pull up freeze plugs, 50 and 59mm. Wonder where exactly they are located and just knock them out and put in a real block heater element?

Freeze plugs would be a first on your 2015 TDI. No previous TDI blocks had freeze plugs. Are you sure they are not for a gasser?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
He said if it was an unused 09 kit he would sell the conversion so it'll work on the 15.

The signed disclaimer idea was so Terry would not be held reliable, and would release him of any future issues.

And I had the dealer use the vin# for the freeze plugs. I'm repeating their answer from a phone call.

This thread needs to be locked. Mods?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd stay away from the heat tape, it may be okay for warming up in cold conditions but i wouldn't leave in on in the summer when temps climb in the engine compartment.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You could always go with the OE type block heater, which I assume has a threaded port somewhere. Though I think a frostheater probably has superior performance- ie heats faster/more.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
He said if it was an unused 09 kit he would sell the conversion so it'll work on the 15.

The signed disclaimer idea was so Terry would not be held reliable, and would release him of any future issues.

No, it would be a signed admission of fault on Terry's part. A lawyer could break the agreement pretty easily.

Just as you cannot enter into a contract with someone for something illegal my best non lawyer guess is you cannot sign away your liability responsibilities.

Good outcome. I would have asked to be sold a kit for a 2015 less the heater and thats sound like what Terry did.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017

And I had the dealer use the vin# for the freeze plugs. I'm repeating their answer from a phone call.

This thread needs to be locked. Mods?

Do the '15s have a freeze plug to use? I really do prefer those for block heaters.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
There are no "freeze plugs" in the cooling system. The only plugs in the block are for the balance shafts and the balance shaft idler gear, and only one version of the EA288 engine has balance shafts. The study guide doesn't say which version that is.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
That heat trace you mention says it has a maximum continuous exposure temperature of 85 C. The coolant at normal operating temperature is 90 C. So it wouldn't be good in this application, would it?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
That heat trace you mention says it has a maximum continuous exposure temperature of 85 C. The coolant at normal operating temperature is 90 C. So it wouldn't be good in this application, would it?
I'd stay away from the heat tape, it may be okay for warming up in cold conditions but i wouldn't leave in on in the summer when temps climb in the engine compartment.
That's been mentioned and discussed, high temperatures.

Micktrack

TDI
02 Jetta, 15 Golf SportWagen

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Does anyone know for sure if the VW Pre-Heater Kit will work with the 2015?

5C7-054-915-D

http://www.vwparts.com/parts-outlet-center/?pg=3

https://www.realvolkswagenparts.com...pre-heater-tdi-manual-transmission-5c7054915d

It's a listed part on VW Parts Outlet page with an application for 2011-2015 Jetta but no other cars. Was hoping it would fit the Golf Sportwagen and was wondering if anyone has tried it out yet?
Probably not as the Jetta and the Golf/GSW are different platforms.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
What is actually in this kit? If it doesn t work because brackets are different or something stupid, I'll make brackets.....

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
What is actually in this kit? If it doesn t work because brackets are different or something stupid, I'll make brackets.....

Excuse me, but why don't you simply swallow your pride, sell the '09 kit and buy the correct Frost Heater for your car?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Not trying to be rude, just practical. Good luck and let us know how your Franken Heater turns out. :D

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Besides a few messages on Tapatalk, 1 phone call to dealer, and kicking the old one under the tool box, 10mins?

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Ok. Sounds good to me. Just don't forget to factor in all the time you've spent online and remember that your time is valuable, and at some point it will have become cheaper to buy a proper heater.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, I don't think I'd want to bodge something together on an essentially brand new car. The diagram I've seen of the OEM heater makes it look to be buried behind the intake/intercooler. And it's only 500 watts.