Weeping/Seepage Near Left Rear Wheel

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
I noticed a spot on the driveway a few days after the car was parked. It has been parked for two weeks and the spot has not grown.

This is at the splash guard in front of the left rear wheel and appears to be coming from behind the guard and fender liner. There are no other signs of wetness or fluid travel on the undercarriage.

Any idea of its source? Blown shock maybe...?

2012 6MT with ~61K miles.

Thanks In Advance!
Lee

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
That's in the area of a brake line connection. Have you had any brake work done recently?

Yours
Vern

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
drain plugs for sunroof? wait 6MT, no roof right?

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
That does sound possible. I had wax leaking out of ours for a couple of summers after we bought it. And now that I look at the pic carefully, that surely looks like a drop of wax on the bottom of the mud flap.

Yours
Vern

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Extreme ambient heat, causing rust-proofing wax to migrate?

Quite likely that's culprit.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'm thinking the stuff migrated gradually until the area in question just can't contain it. Maybe the car was parked for a few days, in direct sunlight on that side, and the stuff liquified and found a crevice.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
I'm thinking the stuff migrated gradually until the area in question just can't contain it. Maybe the car was parked for a few days, in direct sunlight on that side, and the stuff liquified and found a crevice.
That side of the car does face south and it was 100-106° for nearly a week running. The thin all-weather cover on it does nothing to protect from heat.

Thanks all for your input!

I'll drive more and worry less. :D