www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 14th, 2019, 13:28   #1
alcook59

TDI(s): 2014 JSW
Default Long term reliability DSG + Stg 2 tune

Iím back in the market for a TDI JSW and Iím really on the fence about the DSG. My last car with a Malone stg 2 was a manual and now that Iím in SoCal I would really like a auto. Iím easy in my vehicles, but I question the long term reliability of the DSG with a stg 2 from Malone. I know I would need a TCU tune, but how long will these hold? Any help would be appreciated. Iíve searched and still ha e mixed feelings.
alcook59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 14:40   #2
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

The DSG's will last until they break. And once they break, the cost for repair is just stupid nose bleed expensive compared to a manual tranny. DO NOT get a JSW with a Pano sunroof unless you love spending thousand$ on sunroof maintenance once you are out of warranty.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; February 14th, 2019 at 14:49.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 15:53   #3
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 32-35mpg

I 2nd that on the sunroof. I’ve been working on one for a friend and they are horrid.
Yourbuddysatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 21:32   #4
alcook59

TDI(s): 2014 JSW

Wow... I was wanting one with a pano sunroof. What fails on them? Thanks for the advice, I think I’ll be getting a manual... no pano roof.
alcook59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 05:44   #5
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

From what I have seen. The drains always plug up which aren’t the easiest to clear. The tracks seem to gum up and not open right. Plus the shade gets all messed up and won’t stay in track.
Old February 15th, 2019, 10:25   #6
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 360hp

DSG is stronger than the manual. Pretty solid compared to the latest 02Q you want to buy lol
Old February 15th, 2019, 14:33   #7
Owain@malonetuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macradiators.com View Post
DSG is stronger than the manual. Pretty solid compared to the latest 02Q you want to buy lol
nailed it

I've been beating on a big turbo DSG for over a year now. Only thing broke was my patience with stage 4 stock dpf testing, wanted more power lol.

DSG clutches are reasonably priced and easier to replace than a manual if you have the tools. Other than a couple high mileage cars (out of hundreds) that may have been a QC issue or always riding the clutch in city use, I haven't had anyone mention having to replace them. Have had way more manual clutches go and the transmission won't take nearly as much abuse.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 15:31   #8
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Well sure. But how expensive is a DSG when it fails when it eventually will? I have no inclination to have a tranny in my car that when it fails will cost thousand of $ to repair when it fails.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
Old February 15th, 2019, 16:00   #9
bizzle
Veteran Member

Are we talking 10, 15, or 20 years from now? It seems likely by the time any of our DSGs start failing they'll be a dime a dozen in the local pick and pulls. Also by that time it's more likely to make sense to sell it to someone who enjoys that kind of restoration of a car that old and buy a newer model or another similar year that's working great.

The pano roofed issues seem overblown in that regular, preventive maintenance would resolve the listed concerns. Whether people crawl up to their panos and lube the tracks and check for play and clean the water pathways is one thing, but it's in the maintenance schedule. Of far more concern to me as a daily driver versus the dreaded what if, is that if you get a non-pano car you're stuck in an S.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 17:54   #10
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Except that when the Pano fails, It just plain old cost $thousands of dollars to repair. I guess you could do the plastic wrap thing and never open it if it happens to fail in the closed position. There is no "preventative maintenance" that will prevent a pano roof from failing. They are just plain old engineering garbage.

With a non Pano roof, you are "stuck" with a roof that will not cost you $thousands to repair when, not if it fails.

DSG? Way to complex to repair cheaply when it does fails. As your car ages, how many roadworthy DSG's will be available in the scrap yards? I guess you could buy 10 scrap yard DSG's and hope to find one that is roadworthy.

Sorry bizzle, I think you are trying to justify some poor purchase decisions you have made (DSG and Pano).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
. Of far more concern to me as a daily driver versus the dreaded what if, is that if you get a non-pano car you're stuck in an S.
What in the world are you talking about? What does being stuck in an "S" mean? I can think of absolutely no downside to not having a car with a ridiculous Pano roof.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; February 15th, 2019 at 18:37.
Old February 15th, 2019, 18:25   #11
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

Pano sunroof just were cheaply done and are unpredictable. As for DSG I love mine. They are literally automated manuals. So if the trans goes just put another used one in. They seem to work well and are durable. With anything though some may have weak points but all in all I like the DSG.
Old February 15th, 2019, 18:35   #12
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler View Post

DSG? Way to complex to repair cheaply when it does fail. As your car ages, how many roadworthy DSG's will be available in the scrap yards? I guess you could buy 10 scrap yard DSG's and hope to find one that is roadworthy.

Sorry bizzle, I think you are trying to justify some poor purchase decisions you have made (DSG and Pano).

Rattler your attitude for anything you have never known or experienced is not very helpful. Your just anti-everything that you don't have and won't have because you think it's bad. How many DSG failures that have cost the owner great trauma and expense have been recorded on this site? And how do you know that the wrecking yards are full of unroadworthy DSG transmissions? Again I ask.......personal experience or just a generally negative attitude?

Last edited by MichaelB; February 15th, 2019 at 19:11.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 19:10   #13
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

Well this thread might take an unexpected turn...
Old February 15th, 2019, 19:15   #14
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
What in the world are you talking about? What does being stuck in an "S" mean? I can think of absolutely no downside to not having a car with a ridiculous Pano roof.
As far as I know one can't buy an SEL slicktop.

Maybe I'm wrong about that. I didn't look very hard because I don't care. If there is one out there, the premium price tag of the "rare" (base) option will be like the manuals out there (also base option)--more than the cost of these alleged repairs

I've been here long enough to know the risks. My 2012 JSW made it to 130K miles without a single issue. Gummed tracks? Clean and lubricate them before that happens. Plugged drains? Keep them clean. Saying those two issues (the only two raised in the thread so far) can't be remediated with proper maintenance is fear-mongering.

As for plastic wrapping one's roof, a bead of silicon worked well enough in the 90's Subaru with a leaky sunroof. I suffered from the 80's until about 5 years ago with my BMW's convertible top that leaked from the factory, but I moved to the desert rather than giving up God's Chariot

Quote:
I've got a boss like most everyone else and the boss said if I wanted a daddy wagon instead of a CUV she wanted a DSG. Whatever, my bug has a stick and that's where I throw my money for cheap power. Back when I bought my ALH there were people advocating for manual windows for the same reasons you're espousing here. I'm at 225K and I've had to replace a switch that was about $50 bucks and a regulator that was $90ish...guess I ended up paying about $1 per month to save myself the hassle of cranking windows up and down like it's 1999.

Last edited by bizzle; February 15th, 2019 at 19:25.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 19:32   #15
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourbuddysatin View Post
Well this thread might take an unexpected turn...
Not Really some of the advice from this discussion is not factual some is just unsubstantiated opinion. To believe everything voiced here is bad science, take it all with a grain of salt

Last edited by MichaelB; February 15th, 2019 at 19:37.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote