www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 16th, 2019, 10:51   #16
PickleRick
Veteran Member

I have the whitbread clutch/fw fx300. I did the bsm delete/5 speed at the same time so i had a good before/after comparison. Have you felt the weight of that torque converter? Plus full of fluid. Imagine how much of the vibration it absorbs. Add into that the bsm which I'm assuming was to make a diesel less like a diesel to appeal to an American market which didn't want vibrations in it's entry level semi luxury sedans

The fx300 is smooth as any stock clutch once broken in but this has zero to do with torque pulse/vibrations.

At 30lbs its still imho undersized. I've done diesel conversions using longer stroke 3.9l both idi and di, my favorite used 2 flywheels. The oem some 50 lbs flywheel and then a sbc 30lbs flywheel attached to that. Even then i had to increase idle from @800 rpms to @1100 just to see out the rearview mirror. Granted i was using solid motor mounts and the longer the stroke usually the more the torque pulse vibrations

I've always been a believer if you want a sewing machine running car buy a gasser. Asking a diesel to be smooth is like asking a Harley to be smooth, it's just not characteristic.

Id try to find both a Witbread and a valeo clutched car to drive if I were you. To me it vibrations are not noticeable, my other ride is a 7.3 4x4 excursion with essentially a stock f250 suspension.

I find that those who drive tdi passats are a select group who want comfort and accept rough edges around that comfort. These vehicles dont have much resell value outside this small group despite the work it takes to make them bullet proof, nice looking, very economical cars.

Maybe you have another issue with your vehicle making her run rough? Id say riding in another members car with same set up would be a great start.

Last edited by PickleRick; February 16th, 2019 at 10:56.
PickleRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2019, 14:24   #17
50harleyrider
Veteran Member

Can someone look at their exhaust between the CAT and the flex pipe and see if your pipe moves easily on the CAT side axially inside the wire braid. That might be my problem. just pulling on the CAT toward the front of the car it's very loose at the wire braid. it's hard to really hear an exhaust leak in a diesel for the rattling but that sure don't look right to me. Might be a good time to retire my 350k CAT anyhow and it looks like the CAT, flexpipe and turbo flange adapter are all one piece .

Last edited by 50harleyrider; February 16th, 2019 at 14:27.
50harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 08:34   #18
50harleyrider
Veteran Member

After much diligence and chagrin, problem finally solved. The bottom stud nuts on the motor mounts were slightly loose. I put the car on the lift, took my 18" breaker bar and tightened every nut and bolt I could access and sure enough the motor mounts were only at about 25 ft-lbs. Cranked them down to 75 and no more vibration or drone. I appreciate everyones' input here. Maybe others can benefit from my findings. I've been a devoted B5.5 tdi owner since I bought the first one from vwztips years ago and knew this one would work out too.
50harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote