www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 11th, 2019, 17:43   #1
antleo

Default Crank no start help PD Engine

Long story short I picked up a jetta cheap with the engine out (guy said he did timing belt, clutch, new trans because the old one had a slow leak) i got it bolted in and have 90 % of the sensors connected, the only one noteably missing is the input speed sensor into the trans. It cranks but no start, no noticeable smoke no noticeable diesel smell(makes me think fuel related..) has fuel, has fuel all the way to the steel lines running across the engine. I have codes P2100, P0128, P0299, P2564, P0303, P0673, P0203.

though there are definetly codes that need attention, none of these to my knowledge should cause a no start. I have cranked this thing plenty long to the point where it should have atleast popped or showed some sign of life, so i dont think its the #3 glow plug, i ohmed out the plug and its shot, will replace once i get the thing to fire. the rest are mainly out of tolerance values, which again i dont think would cause a no start. what should i look at here? any ideas?
antleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 19:02   #2
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

All glow plugs pulled shouldn't matter, is that #3 injector that matters on the ALH not the pump duse do far as I know.
You say you have fuel to the rail and smell no diesel smell. It's not coming out the injectors or you'd smell it.

Clutch cancel/ Park sensor, something isn't connected right.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Wuzetem p.520 PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 19:23   #3
z14ben

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 6.0L/100km

How fast is it cranking?
z14ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 19:36   #4
antleo

The clutch switch does appear to be working as when I take my foot off the clutch it stops cranking. It is cranking at a good speed(I'll let you know specific rpm tomorrow.. But should be fast enough)
Old February 12th, 2019, 03:00   #5
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

I’m going to assume that you hooked up the injector wires plug on the front drivers corner of the head and made sure you seated it properly?
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 19:23   #6
wonneber
Veteran Member

I would hook up all the connectors, not just most of them.

When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump in the tank run for a few seconds?
Does the glow plug light come on for a few seconds?

Check all the ground wires are connected, clean, and tight.
If the one under the battery is bad then everything that grounds to the body is bad.

Did you check if fuel is getting to the front.
I'm not sure how you blead the BEW injectors.
wonneber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 18:32   #7
antleo

The fuel pump does run, the glow plug light comes on, and it all seems like it should run. The grounds are good and clean (0.4 ohms to body ground) fuel is getting to the tandem pump, I haven't verified past that. The starter burnt up (my own dumb fault trying to crank it to long in a sitting) so I'll check the return line for fuel on Friday when the new starter gets here (Id assume that means that fuel is getting to the injectors.)

Up until the starter burnt up it cranked at a very good speed. The injector harness (circle twist lock connector on the drivers side) is hooked up and properly seated. I swapped in a new fuel filter as well as some diesel 911 and fresh fuel into it, the old filter didn't seem to let much fuel out when I dumped it so this very much so could be my problem.. Will keep you all posted. Thank you all for the suggestions.
Old February 14th, 2019, 20:01   #8
wonneber
Veteran Member

Fuel may be getting to the pump but if the signals aren't getting to the ECU it's not going to fire.

I think you should clear the codes and see what codes come back again.
Work on those.

Do you have the locking tools to check the pump and cam static timing?
Old February 15th, 2019, 02:40   #9
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

As mentioned hook everything up. Of course it looks like you’ll need to replace the starter, you’re not the first persons to burn one up trying to get a car started.

After everything is hooked up, unhook the fuel line where it comes into the fuel filter from the fuel tank. Cycle the key like you were doing a glow cycle. If the lift pump is working you should get about 2-3 oz of fuel with each cycle of the key. Aim the hose into a cup or can, don’t use styrofoam.

Is you fuel filter full? If the lift pump is working after hooking the hose back up you can use the lift pump to fill the filter by cycling the key 6-8 times. You could then pull the rubber hose on the other end of the head where it goes into the tandem pump. Do you have fuel there?

I would also clear the codes before I tried starting it again. Some of them may be old and not applicable to this problem you’re having. Consult the Ross-tech page to track down the code solutions.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ry:Fault_Codes

There are several pages of codes.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 17:34   #10
antleo

These codes all appear to be new, (its been sitting without the battery ) I will definitely clear the codes before trying again. the lift pump works, its how i filled my new fuel filter. Ill check at the tandem pump, but I'm 99% sure its getting there. there's only 2 sensors not hooked up at this point: the vss(not connected at all, need to get a new one) and the water temp sensor is plugged in but not in any fluid. I also don't have the vacuum lines hooked up, I'm going to hook those up and give it another shot.

I really appreciate all your guys help!
Old February 16th, 2019, 14:09   #11
antleo

Alright so new starter is in, same result, crank, no start, no smoke didn't pop off at all or anything. Didn't hook up vacuum lines yet, but will do that today or tomorrow. I cleared the codes, 2 came back, the glow plug, and the throttle out of range. This one got me thinking: does this have a flood mode? The throttle is reading at 95.3% over obd. So if the ecu sees that as full throttle and says not firing the injectors. I know that's a thing on some other vehicles. I pulled the plug off of the tps on the pedal and there was no change. Any ideas on that? Would that cause it not to start or would it dump a bunch of fuel in?
Old February 16th, 2019, 19:44   #12
wonneber
Veteran Member

I think I read something about that a while back.
Hold the pedal to the floor and no fuel is delivered.

Search here for throttle relearn or something like that.

Use an ohm meter to check continuity.
Pins 2 and 3 should be the same value trough the range.
Pin 4 to either 2 or 3 should vary with pedal movement.

Sorry, don't know the spec off hand.
Old February 17th, 2019, 07:31   #13
antleo

I will check that. Thank you!

Edit: I just searched that, looks like it requires a VAG scanner so I guess I'm gunna order that obd11 (was gunna at some point anyways but was hoping to get it running first)

Last edited by antleo; February 17th, 2019 at 07:36.
Old February 17th, 2019, 19:39   #14
wonneber
Veteran Member

You can use a multi meter to test the resistance if you have one.
Old February 18th, 2019, 16:09   #15
antleo

Finally got the code causing the issues I think! P3008 cam position sensor! Can't pick one up until at earliest Friday though.