www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 11th, 2019, 11:56   #1
highmileage
Veteran Member
Default Steering angle sensor

So, yesterday the abs(k47) and tcs/esp(k155) warning lamps lighter and I scanned with vcds and code 00778, steering angle sensor 37 faulty came up. I realize that the sensor needs to be replaced and care needs to be used so as not to deploy the airbag(static electricity). The reason for this post is just to ask if the pros have any thoughts to make the job easier and safer from their vast experience. Also, when one component of the esp system goes out does it shut the system down? Is continuing to drive the car a problem? There are no driveability problems present. Thanks for input and advice.
highmileage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 19:31   #2
afarfalla
Veteran Member

I believe all you need to do is set the steering angle to zero, did you replace the airbag? Look around this forum you should be able to find a post on the steering angle
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 21:04   #3
highmileage
Veteran Member

On scanning with vcds the sensor angle read 0.0. Right now I don't know if that reading is a default because of the faulty steering sensor as per vcds or if the actual reading is/was 0.0. I did read where many times recalibration/resetting is necessary. I understand that some systems can be reset by turning steering wheel lock to lock, right and left. Tried that a couple of times with no change. I think there is recalibration available with vcds. I'm thinking part replacement will be necessary. In the meantime I'll see what else I can do. Thank you for your response.
Old February 11th, 2019, 21:14   #4
highmileage
Veteran Member

Airbag was not changed. Started car yesterday and as I pulled out of parking space warning light just lighted seemingly out of nowhere.
Old February 11th, 2019, 23:28   #5
afarfalla
Veteran Member

that's what I was looking for, it just broke. You need a new clock spring
Old February 12th, 2019, 03:38   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Except they do not call it that on cars with ESP. If you ask for a clockspring for a B5, you'll get one for cars without ESP.

They call it a "cancelling ring with slip ring and steering sensor", part number 1J0-959-654-BK.

For non-ESP cars, it is called "clockspring with cancel ring", part number 1J0-959-653-C.

Thus the confusion, if a dealer parts goon who doesn't know any better just searches ETKA for clockspring, you will not get the correct part.

You can probably find the part you need in the aftermarket anyway. They are made by Valeo.
Old February 12th, 2019, 03:50   #7
afarfalla
Veteran Member

if I was changing my clockspring I would not feel comfortable until I had the old one in my hand and I was looking at the part number
Old February 12th, 2019, 05:23   #8
oilhammer

The one in the car likely has the old AG suffix on it. They update parts all the time. But yes, that is always a good starting point.
Old February 12th, 2019, 08:36   #9
highmileage
Veteran Member

Thank you for your input gentlemen. Part # is 1J0959654. New suffix is BK. Original is AG. I also see AS and AP. As long as numbers are the same would all different suffix parts work or do I need to have AG or BK? Also if anyone is parting out a bhw or has one on shelf that they want to sell please make offer. You can pm me or use thread for contact info as I don't think email connected with forum works anymore. Thanks in advance.
Old February 12th, 2019, 09:24   #10
oilhammer

I *may* have one actually, but I will not be able to check until this weekend.

Only problem is, the car was crashed (with airbag deployment) and so I am not sure it best to use.

They are not that expensive to buy new.
Old February 12th, 2019, 11:12   #11
highmileage
Veteran Member

Thank you oilhammer. Take your time to look and evaluate part. I can wait as I have another car at my disposal. Thanks.
Old February 13th, 2019, 12:13   #12
highmileage
Veteran Member

Hi oilhammer. Thought I would search a bit on the sensibility of reusing the clockspring/sensor over again. Read a few articles and read forum posts (outside of this site). The great majority (all but one) said the clockspring could be reused with some precautions. These were sensible. One was that there was no physical damage to the plastic casing and the other was that there was no damage or melting to the electrical connection. The reason was not from the electric current, but from the chemical reaction of the airbag deployment and the heat it produced. So as long as the unit was not damaged, it can be reused. As a side note they said not so with the seatbelts. They should be replaced as the webbing stretches to provide some give and protection to the occupant and also to trigger the airbag. Once the belt stretches to max it loses that functionality. Thanks.
Old February 13th, 2019, 13:16   #13
oilhammer

Wreck #1 the part is broken.

Wreck #2 did not have ESP.

Sorry.
Old February 13th, 2019, 13:21   #14
afarfalla
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmileage View Post
Hi oilhammer. Thought I would search a bit on the sensibility of reusing the clockspring/sensor over again. Read a few articles and read forum posts (outside of this site). The great majority (all but one) said the clockspring could be reused with some precautions. These were sensible. One was that there was no physical damage to the plastic casing and the other was that there was no damage or melting to the electrical connection. The reason was not from the electric current, but from the chemical reaction of the airbag deployment and the heat it produced. So as long as the unit was not damaged, it can be reused. As a side note they said not so with the seatbelts. They should be replaced as the webbing stretches to provide some give and protection to the occupant and also to trigger the airbag. Once the belt stretches to max it loses that functionality. Thanks.

the seat belt has a built in stick of dynamite that explodes and locks the seat belt, tight, in a crash, they never retract once the explosion occurs. One time use.
Old February 13th, 2019, 14:16   #15
highmileage
Veteran Member

Ok. On to plan B. Thank you both for you effort and information.