www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 17th, 2017, 14:51   #16
peiphil
Veteran Member

That tool holds the bsm in the correct position during the install but you wont need it for the delete option !
peiphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 14:39   #17
philshizle

Got the pedals installed today and the clutch pedal switch f36 (blue one) does not come in contact with the clutch pedal. It is maybe a 1/4" out. I couldn't find any way to adjust ithe in the service manual. Any idea what could be causing this?
philshizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 11:59   #18
burnercan

TDI(s): 2005 Passat
Fuel Economy: 6.0L/100km 39mpusg

I'm also getting ready to attack the BSM delete and am sort of looking forward to taking an air hammer to that stupid thing. After reading lots here about the various methods of removing the crank sprocket, I'm a bit unclear about the air hammer procedure.

Does the sprocket need to be broken/cut/dremeled or otherwise suitably abused prior to laying the hammer to it? Or can I skip all of those steps and just go straight to the hammer?

Last edited by burnercan; June 27th, 2017 at 08:18.
burnercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 15:54   #19
papasmurf
Veteran Member

I used an air hammer to move mine off of the crank. I should have removed the bearing cap because doing it my way, I put some dings in the crank. luckily it was not where the seal rode.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 05:34   #20
mgoff5000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 Jetta, 30 Passat (MPG)

Look, I'm not gonna get in the way of anyone and air tools but the modified puller worked great for me and I don't think it put the crank at any risk at all.
mgoff5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 06:17   #21
AllenAlic

Fuel Economy: 35 Mpg

I did these two task at different times on the ground. I would definitely say pull the motor and trans. Removing the front core gives so much room to slide the unit out and you have a nice chance to repair the coolant flange and anything else’s that might be amiss. Here is a link to when I did the BSM delete. I cut the sprocket and it just slid off.
AllenAlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 08:02   #22
PickleRick
Veteran Member

×2 on cutting the sprocket with a fine cutting wheel on a side grinder. I don't have a need for these tight spaced. 2 or 3 jaw pullers in my shop, i would have had to borrow one and i cant grind down borrowed tools.
Old February 19th, 2019, 20:21   #23
vwztips
Veteran Member

Remove the #1 crank bearing cap and put air hammer to rim of toothed pulley. 5 secs and its off. The delete kit i get from Bora includes the cap replacement bolts
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2019, 16:04   #24
y22man
Veteran Member

I Did this job in the month of November and December. I pulled the motor and transmission out as one unit. I then remove the automatic transmission. And installed the clutch and transmission. It was way easy and I was able to pull the motor and trans in the bout the same time as it would take just the trans out the bottom. It was a lot easier with the motor out of the car. Did this job in the month of November and December. I pulled the motor and transmission out as one unit. I then remove the automatic transmission. And installed the clutch and transmission. It was way easy and I was able to pull the motor and trans in the bout the same time as it would take just the trans out the bottom. It was a lot easier with the motor out of the car.

Jay
y22man is offline   Reply With Quote